What's a good RPG?

I'm back again (in the same month like last time).

What's a good RPG to get? Something that's out for the PS2/Cube/Wii.

Have you tried the Paper Mario series? I hear they're good. Also, if you don't mind really old school (PS1) graphics FFIX is my favorite from the series. And if they ever come out with Super Mario RPG for the Wii's virtual counsel I highly recommend it.

Personally I wish I had a DS so I could play Advance Wars.

Straight up, Odin Sphere.

After that; Super Paper Mario,

I'm still kinda pissy that there are a whopping zero good RPGs for the PS3.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and Valkyrie Profile 2 are good, both on the PS2. Unfortunately, both are sequels (Star Ocean is third in it's series, but it's separated by a large amount of time from it's prequels so it's still playable).

Wii has practically nothing other then the Paper Mario games. I've heard Baiten Kaitos is good (It's on GCN), as are some of the Tales of games, but I've never tried them.

I'm still kinda pissy that there are a whopping zero good RPGs for the PS3.

So am I. If anything, that's what I thought the PS3 would have over Xbox 360. 360 has Mass Effect, Blue Dragon and, in a few weeks, Lost Odyssey.

Still, PS3 gets the two FFXIII games. And White Knight Story looks great as well.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Paper Mario series? I hear they're good. Also, if you don't mind really old school (PS1) graphics FFIX is my favorite from the series. And if they ever come out with Super Mario RPG for the Wii's virtual counsel I highly recommend it.

Personally I wish I had a DS so I could play Advance Wars.
I've played all of the Paper Mario series.

Also, I've played FFIX. I never got to finish it though. I was borrowing the game from a friend and then gave it back because I had gone a while w/o playing it and forgot what I had to do.

Advance Wars is awesome. Haven't played it in years.
Straight up, Odin Sphere.
What's Odin Sphere?

I liked the following

Ps2
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 (these are weird since i'm not a final fantasy fan)
  • Digimon World 4 (if you've not tried these you will most likely enjoy them as they are like pokemon)
  • Justice League Heroes
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Cube
  • Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
  • Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (loved this style of final fantasy)
  • Pokemon XD (Not 100% what it should be BUT it's fun and better than Colosseum)

Psp
  • Monster Kingdom (kind of like pokemon , but diffrent)

Try some PC RPGs.

The greatest ones are a bit old, but you won't need fancy hardware to run them.

Try some PC RPGs.

The greatest ones are a bit old, but you won't need fancy hardware to run them.
I'm not really a PC gamer.

Also, my laptop wouldn't handle it, as it would just turn off (one of the reasons why I'm gonna be getting a new laptop).

If you want to find a good rpg get the starwars kotor1&2 either that or buy the the first one your penis points to. The little head knows:cry:

KOTOR = My favourite game

KOTOR II = most disappointing game for me

KOTOR II just fell apart at the end. Or lack thereof. It was damn good until then.

I can see where you are coming from with that. I just feel that the second one so failed to live up to the first even before the end. It was disappointing BUT looking back I can see it was to be expected with Obsidian taking over from Bioware.

Bioware should have done II, They do make great games.

KOTOR II just fell apart at the end. Or lack thereof. It was damn good until then.

Just go get the Final Fantasy collections for the PS1. They're all good and will keep you busy for months.

ESPECIALLY Anthology and Chronicles. Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI and CHRONO TRIGGER! Easily three of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I can see where you are coming from with that. I just feel that the second one so failed to live up to the first even before the end. It was disappointing BUT looking back I can see it was to be expected with Obsidian taking over from Bioware.

Bioware should have done II, They do make great games.
That is the most retarded logic I've heard this morning.

So you're saying the second KOTOR was GUARANTEED to be disappointing because Bioware didn't do it.

And by that logic, you're saying no other developer can make a good KOTOR except Bioware.

That is the most retarded logic I've heard this morning.

So you're saying the second KOTOR was GUARANTEED to be disappointing because Bioware didn't do it.

And by that logic, you're saying no other developer can make a good KOTOR except Bioware.

That is exactly what I'm saying. You may disagree and that's cool and all but 9 times out of ten the second another company makes a sequel to a game they **** it up.

Bioware did KOTOR and look at KOTOR II with Obsidian in charge. Look at Sonic sure it's still sonic team doing but they changed the guys in charge working ect... and go play sonic adventure then play heroes or the new one.

Don't get me wrong I'm not been a dick about it but when a game switches companies then the quality is normally not as good as the new ones try and make it their own (which I understand) and normally it just feels diffrent and normally plays worse.

But that's just how I see it.

Last edited:
SSJmole said:
But that's just how I see it.
How you see it isn't wrong so much as it is completely misinformed.

That is exactly what I'm saying. You may disagree and that's cool and all but 9 times out of ten the second another company makes a sequel to a game they **** it up.
More than half the times this happens, but because the controlling interests of the license are different and therefore have a different take on the property.

And on those times when the developer is at fault? It's because the developer in question is either a bunch of asstards, or is basically a collection of contract hacks.

But in the case of KOTOR, it is absolutely NOT Obsidian's fault that the game had an incomplete/de-balled storyline and was ridden with glitches (not that the first game didn't have a lot of bugs, but that's beside the point). The fault lies entirely on LucasArts forcing a premature release schedule in order to please executives who only look at the quarterly fiscal reports.

You can say it was wrong to take KOTOR away from Bioware.

But unless you're saying that Obsidian has none of the sheer awesometitude that Bioware possesses to make a good KOTOR, then don't blame Obsidian.

But in the case of KOTOR, it is absolutely NOT Obsidian's fault that the game had an incomplete/de-balled storyline and was ridden with glitches (not that the first game didn't have a lot of bugs, but that's beside the point). The fault lies entirely on LucasArts forcing a premature release schedule in order to please executives who only look at the quarterly fiscal reports.

You can say it was wrong to take KOTOR away from Bioware.

But unless you're saying that Obsidian has none of the sheer awesometitude that Bioware possesses to make a good KOTOR, then don't blame Obsidian.

I'm definitely with ourchair on this. I think KOTOR II had the potential to be great, as Obsidian is a good developer, but it was Lucasarts' fault for forcing them on a limited time schedule.

To the extent that almost all videogames have you PLAY a ROLE, almost all videogames would count as an RPG.

I think Gothamite is suggesting the fact that San Andreas had stat building, which is a staple of the RPG genre (And, let's face it, RPG only means "Role-Playing Game" when it comes to tabletop games now. Video Game RPGs deal with grandoise stories, item management, stat building, and lengthy gameplay.), that it should have been an RPG.

I disagree, though. Otherwise you'd have games like Call of Duty 4 being considered RPGs.

Latest posts

Back