• Sue Storm

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Johnny Storm

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Ben Grimm

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters
ourchair said:
It was DURING Crisis. The House of Ideas' Idea Crisis on Infinite Titles.

It was in a Marvel Team-Up issue featuring a team-up between... Aunt May and Franklin Richards, where she became the Golden Oldie!

05-mtu137.jpg

.........................looks eerily familiar.......presuming they "Heroes Reborn"ed that particular stroke of genius...........

Caduceus said:
That cover makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
Au contraire, my friend! It's undisputably dumb -- I won't even try agruing otherwise. But it represents a lesser evil, if you ask me.

I'd much rather enjoy reading about Aunt May taking part in a bit of cosmic-level ridiculousness with Franklin, than the other extreme -- to see her butchered, raped, burned, or meet a similarly 'edgy' or 'gritty' fate.

I know it's never a case of one extreme or the other, but one of the reasons I love UFF is that for all of its psudo-science and near-fetishistic surface of quasi-empiricism, it never loses a sense of wide-eyed wonder. Even if Reed and Sue have a better understanding of the N-Zone, compared to Ben or Johnny, it doesn't make the experience any less "Awesome!", for them.

I thoroughly believe there's room for dimension-hopping hijinks and cosmic tomfoolery, even within the more 'realistic' boundaries of the Ultimate Universe. The 'realism' comes from watching these characters respond to outrageous circumstances as a everyday person would, NOT by ignoring the aspects that made the original stories so Marvel-ous in the first place, no matter how goofy they might seem to be.

Caduceus said:
That cover makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
Oh, unless you were referring to the artwork. Yeah, it's sh!te, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Nurhachi said:
That cover is so........wrong. Its just wrong!

What do you mean wrong? May looks awesome! Not to mention sexy as hell!!!!!!! :drooling:

compound said:
Oh, unless you were referring to the artwork. Yeah, it's sh!te, plain and simple.
To be fair, it's just remarkably typical for its time. If the 90s had dime a dozen cookie cutter imitators of kewl artists like Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld (and in the case of Stephen Platt, tried to imitate ALL THREE STYLES), then this art looks like just another unremarkable imitation of John Bryne, Neal Adams and John Buscema.

Patriot said:
.........................looks eerily familiar.......presuming they "Heroes Reborn"ed that particular stroke of genius...........

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen! :lol:

Goodwill said:
This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen! :lol:
Amazing? I'd say it's more "spectacular" or "web of" than anything. And by "Web of" I mean Z-grade garbage the likes of which a writer like Howard Mackie would write.

But pardon my silliness, I have taken this thread off-topic.

It's all right...

Now, with Sue... For those of you who have voted for her, what are you basing it on compared to Reed or Ben, who have been sketched out more than her.

Goodwill said:
It's all right...

Now, with Sue... For those of you who have voted for her, what are you basing it on compared to Reed or Ben, who have been sketched out more than her.
I voted Sue, for two main reasons:

1) She's noticeably different from her 616 counterpart -- smarter (both in terms of academic brains, and how she responds to specific circumstances), more youthful, more outspoken. She's responsible when necessary, but clearly has a sense of humor, as well.

2) She represents the practical application of scientific knowledge, in contrast to Reed.

Reed is the genius, the budding little Nobel-prize-winner-in-the-making, out to discover new Big Ideas. And that's perfectly admirable.

But Sue clearly directs her brain-power towards more everyday, hands-on uses -- she is the one who suggests evaluating their physiology, after the original N-Zone mishap; she is the one with the good sense to want to return home after the ill-fated meeting with Nihil (Reeds seems to treat the whole encounter as one big, dangerous, inter-galactic science fair).

Those are just the examples off the top of my head, but I'm certain there are more.

This has actually become a pet topic of mine. I'll probably return to this matter later, when I can bounce ideas off the next few responses.

Wow, I never really gave her a shot. Sue, to me, seemed as though she needed more depth in terms of things outside of the scientific medium (the same goes for Reed, however, he's based his entire life on science). Now that you've introduce me to the side of Sue that's motherly and realistic, I believe she has much more depth than she puts on in the title. Great thoughts, Compound!

Really? Just because you didn't vote for them doesn't mean you can't like the character or think they have depth. I voted for Reed but just because of one panel that clinched it for me. The others all have their moments and I believe are greatly characterized. If their was an all of the above option, I'd be all for it.

You know why Sue's getting more votes lately? It's those italics! She's got them and Reed, Ben and Johnny don't. You can't deny the sex appeal of those italics.

Goodwill said:
It's all right...

My preference is (almost) purely prurient. I grew up with the old Sue Storm, and she was always (seemingly) in distress, ineffectual, drawn with a worried look. Now, I've been away from comics for awhile, and my first intro to the Ultimate Sue was based soley on Ultimate Secret II.

Like he did with Mar-uh-vell, Waid managed in a few short panels to create a really interesting (not to mention seriously hot) take on the character---a frisky, competitive, sexually aggressive grrl who gets a kick out of needling her somewhat strait-laced husband. She seems like a bit of a prankster with enough juice to take the lead in a fight. She reminds me of the Roy Thomas/John Buscema Wasp. And she doesn't let the impending end of the world get in the way of trying to get some action from Reed Richards.

Second place: Thing and Torch, just because they were caught building a still.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back