Why was Nick Fury banished from the Ultimate Universe?

omg ur such a n00b.

civil war didnt hav nothin 2 do wit black peeple!

Goliathdeath.png

It is his call, he has the power to stop **** like that from happening, instead he claims it's awesome and only does more of the same stupid ****

I gotta agree. Joey Q's job is deciding which stories get approved and who works on what.

I gotta agree. Joey Q's job is deciding which stories get approved and who works on what.

True, but the man can't see into the future and no one makes **** on purpose so he trust his writters.

Beside, it's the editor of that mini who's at fault if anything. Also, far as i know non of us have been an EIC so we don't really know what is or isn't his call..

Listen to Melendez. Blaming Joe Q for every creative decision is like blaming the Prime Minister when your local PM puts up a new speed camera.

He doesn't have control over everything, and his editors and the people they work with work very hard to making sure the books work. And with deadlines looming, they sometimes have to do work that's substandard to make the release.

But blaming Joe Q and claiming he can't tell story is a bit ****ing harsh considering not one of you has ever worked in the industry once, and this guy is now EIC of Marvel comics - and let's face it, before he took over Marvel was doing a **** load worse.

The reason Nick Fury isn't around is because Loeb took him off the table to do ULTIMATUM. The problem is that Loeb is the happy-meal Michael Bay writer who sells because his comics contain lots of comic book CGI (incredible artists drawing every hero and villain in the stable fighting each other). That's why it sells, and that's why he's an top industry professional, and that's why when he asked to take over the Ultimate line, due to is weakening appeal, he got it.

At least, as far as I can work out.

Not because people necessarily suck at their job or can't do their job, but because they most likely don't have the time to fully work out what they're doing in advance.

The truth of the matter is; as bad as most mainstream comics are, it's proportionally the same for movies, tv, music, and every art industry ever.

Squadron Supreme? More like Squadron White Supremacist. Nick is going there to kick *** and teach them how love.

:lol::lol::lol:

Listen to Melendez. Blaming Joe Q for every creative decision is like blaming the Prime Minister when your local PM puts up a new speed camera.

He doesn't have control over everything, and his editors and the people they work with work very hard to making sure the books work. And with deadlines looming, they sometimes have to do work that's substandard to make the release.

But blaming Joe Q and claiming he can't tell story is a bit ****ing harsh considering not one of you has ever worked in the industry once, and this guy is now EIC of Marvel comics - and let's face it, before he took over Marvel was doing a **** load worse.

The reason Nick Fury isn't around is because Loeb took him off the table to do ULTIMATUM. The problem is that Loeb is the happy-meal Michael Bay writer who sells because his comics contain lots of comic book CGI (incredible artists drawing every hero and villain in the stable fighting each other). That's why it sells, and that's why he's an top industry professional, and that's why when he asked to take over the Ultimate line, due to is weakening appeal, he got it.

Not because people necessarily suck at their job or can't do their job, but because they most likely don't have the time to fully work out what they're doing in advance.

The truth of the matter is; as bad as most mainstream comics are, it's proportionally the same for movies, tv, music, and every art industry ever.

The thread has been won. Lock it. Extra bonus points for calling Loeb the happy-meal Michael Bay of comics.

Last edited:
I thought Nick Fury was banished from the Ultimate Universe because he tried to log in with a fake account.

Just because we haven't worked in the comic industry doesn't mean we don't know if somebody's a good writer or not. I hate when people say that.

Personally, I think Quesada can tell a story, and the comics he's written have been decent. Loeb can be a good writer, he just hasn't been with Marvel the last couple years. A lot of his DC work is very good.

And I wouldn't say Marvel before Quesada was much worse than they are now. Books like Busiek's Avengers and Thunderbolts, Waid's Captain America, Kesel's Daredevil, these were all great comics, and I'd say comparable (in soem cases superior) to those titles currently.

But, onto Nick Fury, I don't know why they decided to move him. Early money would be it having something to do with Ultimatum, but Chaykin's recent Squadron Supreme interview, where he talks about Fury being in the Supremeverse for a couple years now and being our point-of-view character over there leads me to believe this may not be the case. Plus, there's the whole fact we haven't seen Power Princess once in the UU yet, or even heard any plans for her.

I'm sure there was a good reason, or at least a logical one to the creative parties involved, to move Fury to the Supremeverse. I'm assuming we'll find out at some point what that is.

Also, because he's black.

Once again Bass you prove your greatness, but you would think he at least took a look at the "big crossover" Ultimate Power (you know, since he has a hard on for crossovers). Yes he is a top dog and can't concern himself with every little detail but he had to have looked over UP since it had "huge ramifications" and had three "top industry" writers. I think that he should of at least think twice about handing the entire creative control over to Loeb.

Just because we haven't worked in the comic industry doesn't mean we don't know if somebody's a good writer or not. I hate when people say that.

Personally, I think Quesada can tell a story, and the comics he's written have been decent. Loeb can be a good writer, he just hasn't been with Marvel the last couple years. A lot of his DC work is very good.

And I wouldn't say Marvel before Quesada was much worse than they are now. Books like Busiek's Avengers and Thunderbolts, Waid's Captain America, Kesel's Daredevil, these were all great comics, and I'd say comparable (in soem cases superior) to those titles currently.

But, onto Nick Fury, I don't know why they decided to move him. Early money would be it having something to do with Ultimatum, but Chaykin's recent Squadron Supreme interview, where he talks about Fury being in the Supremeverse for a couple years now and being our point-of-view character over there leads me to believe this may not be the case. Plus, there's the whole fact we haven't seen Power Princess once in the UU yet, or even heard any plans for her.

I'm sure there was a good reason, or at least a logical one to the creative parties involved, to move Fury to the Supremeverse. I'm assuming we'll find out at some point what that is.

Also, because he's black.

I like Joe's point here.

Maybe Black Panther is Power Princess.

Except there's more to it than that. This was a NINE ISSUE miniseries written by three of Marvel's top writers, and it was pretty universal accepted as terrible from start to finish.It was supposed to be a big event, and while I recognize that Joey Q's job naturally involves assigning responsibilities to other people, it's all his job to fix things that are going out the door. You'd imagine that some point during this NINE ISSUE miniseries, Q would do something about it. I'm sure being EiC is a very difficult job, but we can still be critical of the mistakes he makes, especially when that mistake's supposed to be as big as Ultimate Power was. Ultimate Power sucked *******, but it sucked ******* because it was badly written. That still doesn't mean Joey Q shouldn't have gone to fix it.

Bass said:

Good point.

That sucks though, huh? Good thing Marvel's still got guys like Bru and Fraction and Ellis.

Bass said:

You mean that's the best that the guy who wrote Babylon 5 and the guy who wrote 100 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man on time can do? Maybe they were already overloaded with projects? Then they shouldn't have been assigned to the project anyway. Hell, I can't even begin to understand how that pitch got approved.

Bass said:

and maybe I'm equally critical of movies, TV, music, and every art industry ever. Being EiC for Marvel means you're the headpiece for the company, because what comes out is their responsibility. Naturally, they can't be in control of everything. Mistakes will be made. Books will slip between the cracks. And we can sympathize with that. But it's still his responsibility. We can still say that Joey Q screwed the pooch on this book (which should have been more under his supervision since it was supposed to be a big book anyway).... but he still didn't **** it up as bad as Countdown.

Joe Kalicki said:

They switched him over so that they could tease in the previews that "Someone won't be coming back"

Last edited:
I'm going back and reading over my (two) Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine issues over and over.

Men were men.
Fury was cool and at the top of his game.
Art was unique (in a good way)

I'd rather have interesting, incomplete work than 'on-time' garbage.

The current Ultimate U puts Millar and Hitch on an even larger pedestal.

Ultimate Hulk knocked out by Thing?
Cap saying 'watch your mouth, you scamp'?
A 'Suck it' cover?
A 30-issue 5-issue miniseries (If you count alternate covers)?
The best ultimization in a different universe?
'Tell Aunt May I'll be late for dinner - hyuk, hyuk'

Even if there's some clever resolution, it will still have stunk AT THE TIME. Good writers manage to have things be good before, during, and after the mysteries are resolved.

Ultimately, though, I don't care who's to blame - I just want to like the comics that I used to like. You're getting my $3 - is it THAT much harder to just make it good?

I wouldn't mind Nick Fury being kicked out of the Ultimate Universe if it weren't for the fact that he really didn't do anything wrong. None of the stuff that happened was his fault. He had nothing to do with what happened to the Supremeverse...why was everyone so pissed at him?

Latest posts

Back