Wizard reveals new Ultimates 3 information, sketches

Re: Ultimates 3 Tidbits!

Lynx said:
Tony needs to stay Iron Man. I will be unbelieveably pissed if he dies in Ultimates 2.
Did you not read in an earlier Wizard that Loeb has plans for him?

I don't like the Iron Man suit. The one drawn for Ultimates was great. Why they have to do this to it? Scarlet Witch looks hott. I agree with Lynx, if they're not funded by the government she'll likely go back to wearing what she did before The Ultimates.

icemastertron said:
Did you not read in an earlier Wizard that Loeb has plans for him?

Oh, no, I did. I was just commenting on E's suggestion.

Plus, who knows if Loeb was just throwing everyone off?

Ultimate Iron man looks like an ape :?

Lynx said:
Plus, who knows if Loeb was just throwing everyone off?

Exactly.

Lynx said:
Cap was the most visually impressive, and I didn't get too much of an anime vibe from that drawing (Well, as non-anime Joe Mad can get, anyways). Then again, Cap was the only one colored and inked.

That's just the problem. They tapped an inherently anime-esque artist to do a hyper-realist book.

Hitch's designs make it easy to conceptually see what these things would look like if they were in the real world. They also make it easy for other artists to adopt. It's going to be great seeing the Ultimates turn up in other books looking ridiculous because they're anime costumes being drawn by Greg Land and Mark (?) Bagley.

iceman said:
That's just the problem. They tapped an inherently anime-esque artist to do a hyper-realist book.

Hitch's designs make it easy to conceptually see what these things would look like if they were in the real world. They also make it easy for other artists to adopt. It's going to be great seeing the Ultimates turn up in other books looking ridiculous because they're anime costumes being drawn by Greg Land and Mark (?) Bagley.

Ah, but here's where you're missing the point of Ultimates 3. It's not going to be a hyper-realistic book anymore, we're looking at a more "Ultimate Avengers" then the Ultimates now. Loeb made it pretty clear that book will focus on big action with the team in the Private Sector now. I'm sure the characters will remain silimiar, but they won't be government stooges anymore (Presumably, anywys).

I'm looking foward to the change, to be honest.

first volume, second arc wasn't political. it was the definition of high-octane action. and it ruled the hizzouse for shizzure with hitch.

iceman said:
first volume, second arc wasn't political. it was the definition of high-octane action. and it ruled the hizzouse for shizzure with hitch.

I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the fact that you said Joe Mad can't do a hyper-realistic book. Maybe he can't, but Ultimates 3 isn't that kind of book.

Count me in with the rest of the fans who don't like Iron Man's new re-design. I hope it works out, somehow-the first design was so lovably clunky to me.

Conversely, Scarlet Witch rocks...for the obvious reasons. :wink: Although it seemed her style to be in a sultry costume anyways, wasn't it? So it works.

------

BTW, I'd be unhappy if it focused more on the super-hero team than government agents...not only did they get the super-hero team part down anyways in the action scenes I saw, but for once I had high hopes with ALL the members feeling like big, important members, capable of anything, and not just the big three (Iron Man, Cap, Thor)-and later additions presumably going to have the same weight and influence. The government-agent-team was a GREAT redevelopment for Ultimization and I have no wish to see it become another superhero book. That's my opinion, but...

Iron-Man looks, I don't know, ok. Not exactly my cup of tea but I'll wait to see a final design inked and colored before passing full judgment on it.

Now for the Scarlet Witch. High heels and an *** FLAP?! That's a GREAT costume redesign, because, you know, it makes so much sense. Seriously, it's ridiculous, bordering on recoculous. People are *****ing about Vision getting robo-boobs but they are ok with this? Get off. Why doesn't he just go for broke, make the headpiece ridiculously complicated and overlarge and add a 12 foot long sword to make the outfit seem complete. Bah, I must be in a foul mood today, forgive me. It still looks stupid.

Entropy said:
Iron-Man looks, I don't know, ok. Not exactly my cup of tea but I'll wait to see a final design inked and colored before passing full judgment on it.

Now for the Scarlet Witch. High heels and an *** FLAP?! That's a GREAT costume redesign, because, you know, it makes so much sense. Seriously, it's ridiculous, bordering on recoculous. People are *****ing about Vision getting robo-boobs but they are ok with this? Get off. Why doesn't he just go for broke, make the headpiece ridiculously complicated and overlarge and add a 12 foot long sword to make the outfit seem complete. Bah, I must be in a foul mood today, forgive me. It still looks stupid.

Looks like a cross between her 616 Force Works costume and the Perez gypsy look, neither of which were my favorites. If she has to use all of her probability-influencing powers to keep all of her various body parts inside her costume as she walks across the room, how useful could she possibly be in the fight? Maybe she's supposed to distract the enemy by flashing them the way the Wasp did back in V1.

Rhyo said:
Looks like a cross between her 616 Force Works costume and the Perez gypsy look, neither of which were my favorites. If she has to use all of her probability-influencing powers to keep all of her various body parts inside her costume as she walks across the room, how useful could she possibly be in the fight? Maybe she's supposed to distract the enemy by flashing them the way the Wasp did back in V1.

Heh, you know, her hair looks awfully 80s. What if the storyline is that the Ultimates are battling Kang and they've gotten transported back to the 1980s and have to fight their way back to the present and suddenly, dum, dum dum, IT ALL TIES IN TO MILLARS 1985!! Wooo, I just figured out the entire plot for Ultimates 3, no need to buy it now folks, you're welcome.

This looks like something that belongs in 616, not Ultimate. Iron Man's suit was realistic, which was why it was so bulky, and Scarlet Witch wore something that a government operative would wear. Now we get this organic-looking streamlined unrealistic Iron Man suit and Wanda wearing almost nothing. Not exactly what strikes me as a realistic government strike force.

Doc Comic said:
This looks like something that belongs in 616, not Ultimate. Iron Man's suit was realistic, which was why it was so bulky, and Scarlet Witch wore something that a government operative would wear. Now we get this organic-looking streamlined unrealistic Iron Man suit and Wanda wearing almost nothing. Not exactly what strikes me as a realistic government strike force.

That's because it's not a government strike force. There's a very good chance that they split from SHIELD. I mean, can you honestly think that Captain America or Thor would go back to work for SHIELD after what they did them?

As for Iron Man's suit, it's a natural progression of improving technology. His first suit (or suits) were like tanks, then it was clunky (Ultimates 1), he streamlines it a bit more (Ultimates 2), now he's at an almost organic suit ala Ultimates 3.

And you can't honestly tell me that Norse Gods are realistic. The Ultimate Universe is no longer "Realistic", it's just more realistic then 616. Thor, Loki and the Fantastic Four negated the reality factor.

How does a story start in the middle? How will we have to catch up? isn't there only going to be 12 issues in the run so someone explain this to me? Great stuff

Last edited:

a fan said:
How does a story start in the middle? How will we have to catch up? isn't there only going to be 12 issues in the run so someone explain this to me? Great stuff

The way Loeb and Millar described it in Wizard was like Lethal Weapon 2. The movie started with a car chase, and as the movie went along, you discovered what led up to that point.

Yeah.....doesn't sound all that complicated. Hell---Wolverine Vs Hulk just used the same premise...

Don't worry about being confused. Loeb will be throwing in so much exposition via voice-over narration, you won't miss a thing.

As for Joe Mad - I am looking forward to seeing him draw it. I think Loeb and Mad are making the right move by trying to go very differently to Hitllar. If they're not as good, it won't be because of the style they chose. I think it's quite ballsy for Marvel to take one of their top selling titles and totally change its style at the height of its popularity. (Although, one could argue they're changing it to the more safe 'anime/ superhero' genres that are more typical than Hitllar.) I think this change could be a good or bad move, depending on execution.

We'll see.

Latest posts

Back