Would Grant Morrison and a Kubert Bros get you to buy DC?

Friday

Would Grant Morrison and the Kubert Bros get you to buy DC?

Because according to the newest Lying in the Gutters a Morrison penned, Kubert illustrated arc on Detective Comics is in the pipeline.

The Kubert Brothers' exclusive deal with DC Comics was announced at the weekend. What was not announced was that they will be working on the "Detective Comics" series, with scripts written by Grant Morrison. Expect official confirmation over the summer. Neither DC Comics or Grant Morrison responded to inquiries. Andy Kubert could not respond to questions about future projects.

Read the rest of the column here

Honestly, this would easily get me to start buying Detective comics again. Hopefuly the arc will start after the "One Year Later" effect of IC, so as not to be truncated by the crossover.

Last edited:
Dumb question - this is the Batman book, right? I do not read any DC books; I don't know.

UltimateE said:
Dumb question - this is the Batman book, right? I do not read any DC books; I don't know.
Well, it's A Batman book. Detective tends to focus on the crime in gotham and Batmans actions against it. Brubakers run on the title was amazing, and David Lapham is currently bringing his gritty, street level wordplay to it. Its probably the Batbook I've enjoyed most over the years, thanks to my affinity for Crime Fiction.

Baxter said:
Well, it's A Batman book.

That's what I meant - I knew at least at one point in time (a very long time) it featured Batman, but I wasn't sure if it now was just a crime book that Batman appeared in once in a while.

And absolutely yes, I will be picking this up if this is true. The idea of Morrison doing for Batman what he did for X-Men - characters I didn't know too much about or particularly like before I read New - has me drooling. Count me in.

UltimateE said:
That's what I meant - I knew at least at one point in time (a very long time) it featured Batman, but I wasn't sure if it now was just a crime book that Batman appeared in once in a while.

And absolutely yes, I will be picking this up if this is true. The idea of Morrison doing for Batman what he did for X-Men - characters I didn't know too much about or particularly like before I read New - has me drooling. Count me in.
If thats the case then you should be reading his Seven Soilders books right now.

Buy the books E. I want to discuss them with someone other than OC and Compound.

How far along is it (7 Soldiers)?

UltimateE said:
How far along is it (7 Soldiers)?
2 issues of The Gaurdian, 2 issues of Zatanna,2 issues of Shining Knight, 1 issue of Klarion, and Seven Soilders 0. I think thats all.

honestly, it's not all that much, and untill last weeks iddue of Zatanna there hadn;t even been any major DCU characters appear.

Last edited:
As far as I know Rich Johnston's rumors aren't (by his own admission) supposed to be totally reliable. Most unnecessarily harsh pundits have called him a self-promoting liar (which I think is unfair, but I'm just saying is all).

ourchair said:
As far as I know Rich Johnston's rumors aren't (by his own admission) supposed to be totally reliable. Most unnecessarily harsh pundits have called him a self-promoting liar (which I think is unfair, but I'm just saying is all).
Oh I know, but I'd heard this before him too. Honestly, it's more to see who'd hold out against any DC, even with this rumored marvelite near dream team onboard.

Last edited:
Morrison on Batman....................too.......good.........for.........words..... :drooling: :drooling:

With this, The All-Star books, and Infinite Crisis, it looks like the number of DC books I read is about to spike (the only one I read now is Green Lantern).

Baxter said:
Because according to the newest Lying in the Gutters a Morrison penned, Kubert illustrated arc on Detective Comics is in the pipeline.

Read the rest of the column here

Honestly, this would easily get me to start buying Detective comics again. Hopefuly the arc will start after the "One Year Later" effect of IC, so as not to be truncated by the crossover.

No. You couldn't pay me enough to buy a DC book. They aren't realistic enough for my tastes.

Goodwill said:
No. You couldn't pay me enough to buy a DC book. They aren't realistic enough for my tastes.

I usually feel that way too....DCs characters focus too much on the powers and dont make me feel for the character to keep buying every month....A character like batman can keep me interested...but the universe as a whole is uninteresting to me....How can i care about batman and his life "when he really has no life outside of being batman" and expect to take him as a serious character when his books feature other characters who dont carry the same weight he does...

Baxter said:
Would Grant Morrison and a Kubert Bros get you to buy DC?

:lol:AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........heh

no

The Captain said:
I usually feel that way too....DCs characters focus too much on the powers and dont make me feel for the character to keep buying every month....A character like batman can keep me interested...but the universe as a whole is uninteresting to me....How can i care about batman and his life "when he really has no life outside of being batman" and expect to take him as a serious character when his books feature other characters who dont carry the same weight he does...

My sentiments exactly. There's more to a hero than his tights. ;)

Goodwill said:
My sentiments exactly. There's more to a hero than his tights. ;)
I still maintain that thats the position of someone whos had no exposure to DC outside of preconcived notions of Batman and Superman.

Baxter said:
I still maintain that thats the position of someone whos had no exposure to DC outside of preconcived notions of Batman and Superman.
True.

It's easy to make such generalizations when truth to tell, the DC characters ARE fundamentally defined by their powers and their personalities as heroes (rather than being defined by their foibles and their personalities as everyday Joes like the Marvel characters are).

I mean, if DC characters were as "simple" as just being avatars of power, then perhaps it should be easier for a DC outsider such as myself to be familiarize with what's going on in DC books, BUT IT'S NOT. The DC characters are involved in just as convoluted character relationships and soap-opera style plots as the Marvel characters.

ourchair said:
Well I'm not sure about the Kuberts, but I'm there if ole Grant Daddy is there.

Yeah, same here. I like both Kuberts' work but would never buy a book just because they're on it.

Latest posts

Back