Writing Challenge

If anyone else has any preference in where they want to go on the order list, post in the next day or so. Otherwise, I'll have a list up some time Tuesday evening, and we can get this thing started.

Towards the beginning or towards the end. Either would be fine with me.

I have no preference. But like Planet-Man this all depends on the story being told.

I'll do it.

Just put me near the end. I won't have time to do anything this week.

I will also post this on the first page for easy reference, but right now the writing roster and order is as follows:

1. Ultimate Houde
2. Dr. Strangefate
3. TwilightEL
4. Iceshadow
5. Joe Kalicki
6. ProjectX2
7. Moonmaster
8. Zombipanda
9. Doublehex
10. Baxter
11. Frapalino
12. Victor Von Doom
13. Grocer Man
14. Bluebeast
15. Volunteer Fire Detective
16. J. Agamenon
17. McCheese

Wow. This is going to be a story of epic proportions. Seventeen authors, no holds barred.... :D

Please check to make sure you're on the list if you volunteered to participate. If I missed you, let me know and I'll correct it. (I didn't add Langsta because he's only made one passing comment and we haven't heard from him on this since.) Also, if you really, really want a different spot in the line-up, tell me so I can tweak the order before we start.

One thing that concerns me is that as the story gets longer, it may become more difficult for each writer to catch up and decide what to add and how to further the plot. Is this too many writers? Do you guys want to give this a try as is, or do you want to break into two groups and do two stories with eight authors each?

Last edited:
Booyah!

Sending in the All-Star closer, baby!!!

What are going to be the overall themes of our story? I think we should decide on that before we begin.

pfffft..... I got left off the list. And I'd highly suggest two, or even three stories. Sixteen is a lot of people.

Last edited:
Booyah!

Sending in the All-Star closer, baby!!!

What are going to be the overall themes of our story? I think we should decide on that before we begin.

I disagree. Part of the fun of a story-round is to see things go in completely different directions than you expected. You pick up an run with what you're given then see someone else go exactly opposite of what you did. And it works. Trying to plan things out ahead of time kills the buzz of it.

pfffft..... I got left off the list. And I'd highly suggest two, or even three stories. Sixteen is a lot of people.
Ooops. Sorry, you're right. (I wondered why Moonmaster's name came out of the basket twice.... :?) Problem fixed.

I disagree. Part of the fun of a story-round is to see things go in completely different directions than you expected. You pick up an run with what you're given then see someone else go exactly opposite of what you did. And it works. Trying to plan things out ahead of time kills the buzz of it.
Exactly. A collaboration between authors is different from a Round Robin. Don't worry about overall themes -- just go where the story takes you. These things really do take on a life of their own.

Alright. So when is the first deadline, and will we be creating a new thread for the story itself?

Also: How long should individual entries be?

Maybe two pages in Word? Regular font and size?

Long enough to flesh out the characters I guess?

I'll start this by Friday. Once I figure out a good setting to begin us in. I need something vague enough that it could be anywhere, and involve anything.

We did one of these in English this year where we each had to write a sentence and we could only read the sentence directly before the one we were writing.

My preceding sentence: "There was only 10 seconds before the bomb went off!"

My sentence: "And then it went off and everybody died."

Alright. So when is the first deadline, and will we be creating a new thread for the story itself?

Also: How long should individual entries be?
Yes, we'll start a separate thread for the story itself. Commentary on the story and other discussion relating to this challenge will continue to be posted on the current thread.

When I worked with homeschool kids on this, my guidelines were that they had to add between 1/2 and two pages of text, using standard size type. That's also my suggestion here, although I know that there are occasionally times when adding one or two sentences can have a huge impact on a story. (In the homeschoolers' case, however, they were being critiqued on their writing abilities, and we needed more than a sentence or two, which is not the case here.)

We did one of these in English this year where we each had to write a sentence and we could only read the sentence directly before the one we were writing.

My preceding sentence: "There was only 10 seconds before the bomb went off!"

My sentence: "And then it went off and everybody died."
This reminds me of "The Shortest Horror Story Ever Written," by Frederic Brown.

Yes, we'll start a separate thread for the story itself. Commentary on the story and other discussion relating to this challenge will continue to be posted on the current thread.

When I worked with homeschool kids on this, my guidelines were that they had to add between 1/2 and two pages of text, using standard size type. That's also my suggestion here, although I know that there are occasionally times when adding one or two sentences can have a huge impact on a story. (In the homeschoolers' case, however, they were being critiqued on their writing abilities, and we needed more than a sentence or two, which is not the case here.)

This reminds me of "The Shortest Horror Story Ever Written," by Frederic Brown.
Reminds me of the six word Hemmingway story.

For sale: Baby Shoes. Never worn.

I'm going to start a new thread for this when I start it. I'll post the order in the beginning of the thread so we all know it, and I'll entitle the thread, Round Robin.

Sound good?

Latest posts

Back