X-Men: 198 (Discussion/spoilers)

Starts with Magma in Guatemala almost destroying an entire city. An empath comes and calms her. He take her to the 198 camp. There Magma starts to talk with the guy with the mosnter on the stomach (from Son of M 01). So a bunch of talk with Cyclops of about How she missed everone, and then Mr. M appears doing some trick to the kids. A girl passes trough him and he stops her andtake off her bandana, she is almost bald and starts to cry, Mr. M then makes her hair grow again.
The X-men are talking to Val about Mr. M and she confirms that he is an Omega level mutant. They discuss about the camp, Val says it is to protect al the mutants but they don't have the freedom to come and go. Kitty gets pissed and call it a concentration camp (I think they are doing somehting like that too.)
Some mustants qant to get out (i really dont know who are them) And they start a fight in the gates. Two sentinels are trying to neutralize them without killing when suddenly Mr. M stops the fight without a swet.
The guy with the monster on his stomach starts to think about magma. He takes some hair that he got from Magma and give it to the monster, then the mosnter throw up a shell (you know those things with pearls inside.) and inside of it there's a mini-magma. Kinda like Tinkerbell.

icemastertron said:
Yes? No? Trying to avoid spoilers much as I can.
Yes. It's good. Only thing is it takes on the other side of X-Mythos. focusing more on C-List characters than the mainstream X-Men (Though, they get a decent share themselves) But I think that's probably what's so fun about it. We know the X-Men's stories in other titles. But the remaining 198 tells their story here.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Yes. It's good. Only thing is it takes on the other side of X-Mythos. focusing more on C-List characters than the mainstream X-Men (Though, they get a decent share themselves) But I think that's probably what's so fun about it. We know the X-Men's stories in other titles. But the remaining 198 tells their story here.
Sounds great!

District X

The cops in District X find the mutant formerly known as Jazz in his apartment and give him the official invite to Xaviers*. Jazz reaches for the slip but they discover he's wearing makeup to make his face and hands look normal and his mutant gene is still active. They also find the drugs Jazz is so infamously dealing. So now instead of giving him the option of registering at Xavier's they say if they don't they'll put him through the system which will probably kill him.

Xaviers

Jazz is partnered with the creepy new guy with the creature in his chest. Jazz shoots up infront of him and passes out. The guy takes a blood sample from Jazz.

The 198 are gathered infront of the X-Men and Valarie Cooper, whose holding a conference. They're going to be tagged and the mutant population is not happy about it, especially after Toad points out the X-Men aren't going to be tagged. Kitty disapproves and Beast is somewhat puzzled as to what's going on. Erg is speaking out against it. Suddenly a huge fire breaks out amongst the crowd breaking the tension.

Magma is walking with Outlaw. Magma is creeped by Empath watching her and Outlaw points out that he might not be messing with her feelings she might actually like him. The guy with the beast in his chest watches the entire thing...

Mr. M is seduced in his tent by Lorlei... good for him :) Giggity giggity.

Jazz sees his tentmate speaking to a mini-Magma (see last issue). When he walks away so he's not seen. mystery guy pulls a pearl out and inside is a miniature Jazz.

The Mutants are in line for their electronic tags. Erg says he's getting one just to get out of Xaviers. They're transported for "R&R" in Salem. They're told to minimize contact with civilians. Jazz goes to score drugs...

Mammomax is heckled by some kids and threatens them. The activate the tag and Mammomax feels like he's being stabbed in the brain. Erg is unhappy about the tags. They round up the mutants but Jazz is missing. Some soldiers and a Sentinel look for him.

Jazz is scoring drugs but back at Xaviers the mysterious mutant hangs the mini Jazz... when the soldiers find Jazz, he's dead.

A lot going on and very intense. I love the nonmainstream X-Universe and I love Hine's dealing with it even more.

Thanks for the welcome guys and yeah im talking about the guy who had the little jazz and killed him. Anyone else notice that he had like 20 more of those little shells in his case. Anyone care to guess who else he might have in thier. Im betting we will see atleast another mutant bite the dust to finally push everyone over the edge. Also whoever Mr. M is, you know he is going to play a mjor part in the final two issues. Mutants vs the 5 sentinels is obivously going to happen but whose side will the x-men take is another story. Any thoughts?

FightingSpirit said:
Thanks for the welcome guys and yeah im talking about the guy who had the little jazz and killed him. Anyone else notice that he had like 20 more of those little shells in his case. Anyone care to guess who else he might have in thier. Im betting we will see atleast another mutant bite the dust to finally push everyone over the edge. Also whoever Mr. M is, you know he is going to play a mjor part in the final two issues. Mutants vs the 5 sentinels is obivously going to happen but whose side will the x-men take is another story. Any thoughts?

Mr. M. is one of the most powerful mutants in the world. Omega class? Is that what they call him. I could see Hine kill him off because he's too big of a character to leave in limbo and no one will use him other than Hine.

Mr. M is done getting some action from a very satisfied Lorlelei.

Beast, Cyclops, and Kitty observe Jazz's corpse. Kitty asks if it was the tags but Valerie Cooper says she wasn't informed. Beast says Jazz was strangled.

Erg leads the 198 to revolt against the Institute with a little persuasion from Toad.

Valerie argues with her superiors because she doesn't like the tags either. Outside her window the 198 are crowded.

The X-Men/Office of National Emergency try to calm them down byt Erg almost attacks. His tag goes off and he's taken down. Sack tries to take his tag out but Valerie tells him it's grafted to his skull. Mr. M appears and starts taking the tags out. He then tells anyone is welcome to leave with him.

Johnny Dee's.... monster chest... gross.... gets angry because he's jealous or he has some plan... Dee walks to the bathrooms where he flushes the mini-Jazz down the toilet. When he walks out Leech asks if he's going with Mr. M. Leech explains his powers. Johnny Dee touches Leech on the shoulder and tells him he won't be going. As Leech walks away Johnny Dee looks down at something in his hand.

Mr. M. opens up the wall and they begin to walk about. Empath tries to stop Magma but she wants nothing to do with him.

Scott says he has a plan but would like to negotiate with Mr. M. alone. Valerie says she has to maintain control or they'll replace her with something worse.

Mr. M. finds an island and leads them to edge of a lake. He walks on water to lead them across.

On the island Magma notices Empath came with them and she gets a bad feeling about him.

The X-Men show up and try to reason with Mr. M. Emma Frost says there's something controlling some of them and it's not Mr. M. Erg attacks Cyclops and when Cyclops shoots back there's a protective bubble around Erg. Mercator is floating above Erg and says, "No one will harm my people".

4/5

Who needs mainstream X-Titles?

Last edited:
yea this one was good. I didn't m was that powerful, but apparently nobody is F***** with him. How about I just realized that eye patch guy was a guy and not Callisto.

#5 Conclusion

Mercator tries to keep the peace but Johnny Dee is controlling the other refugees. Turning Fever Pitch on the X-Men, results in General Lazer (Terrible name but interesting character) sending the Sentinel's in. Mercator turns them into puddy and the tension continues. At this point, Greycrow (?) has a hand built gun that Lorelei stops him from blasting Beast's brains out. He returns the favor by striking her making Mr. M real pissed. Empath senses how mad he's become and Emma tries to stop him but can't get in his mind because he's too powerful. At this point Johnny Dee's taken the initiative to pay General Lazer a visit and announce he can stop Absolon. The General takes the offer. Dee uses his mini mutants and with Leech depowers Mercator. He then uses Magma to burn and kill him... No one's sure what's happened because no one knows about Dee's powers. Magma and Leech are heartbroken they've killed Mr. M. Magma thinks Empath somehow made her do it.

Everything returns to "normal" at camp. Leech and Lorelei sit and mourn at Mr. M's casket. When they fall asleep, they awake to find the casket empty. No one sees Mercator but he has left a message. Mr. M's message is "Nothing Dies. It Only Evolves."

4/5

Great little mini regarding the rest of the mutant population. I hope Hine deals with these characters in X-Men: Civil War a bit and I hope Mr. M, along with the others come back soon.

They did it, they ****ing killed the coolest mutant that was still powered. I know there is a message and blah blah, but i liked Mercator, so now i'm angry :evil:
Hope that kid with the tentacles dies.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
They did it, they ****ing killed the coolest mutant that was still powered. I know there is a message and blah blah, but i liked Mercator, so now i'm angry :evil:
Hope that kid with the tentacles dies.

Obviously he's not dead. Even though Hine's not Marvel's top writer. His fans are gonna geek when he brings him back in whatever future project he pulls the return off in.

Johnny Dee? I'm not a fan of the character but the way he made a deal with O*N*E* or whatever and tried to shake General Lazer's hand (another interesting character), I'm curious to see what he's on about too.

I'm glad to see they didn't kill off Mr. M. He was my favorite new character.

They left it so much unresolved that I'm not sure where they're going to deal with it.

Latest posts

Back