Y: The Last Man - series discussion (spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:
Or if you want it both ways and are looking for a marvel title that isn't so super heroesque... I could recommend Daredevil.... :?

Yeah of course you could :shifty:

UltimateE said:
I've noticed it too. It's nice to have people around to recommend non-superhero books like that. :D
Actually, I wish there was more of an initiative to really talk about stuff outside of superhero comic books here. I mean granted, this is called Ultimate Central for a reason, but I'm under the impression that there're so many walls to that.

One person will recommend something and the other will nod their head, but for the most part its people justifiying reading something and others just patronizing each other. I mean, I'm not trying to suggest this as a personal slight against the community in general, but hey case in point:

ManwithoutFear. I mean I routinely find something to disagree on with him (actually I have a LOT of things to disagree with, but hey it makes our interaction oh so much better), but I kinda feel pity for the fact that most of his evangelical efforts to promote Daredevil are considered a "personality quirk" rather than a recommendation one would actually follow up on.

ourchair said:
Actually, I wish there was more of an initiative to really talk about stuff outside of superhero comic books here. I mean granted, this is called Ultimate Central for a reason, but I'm under the impression that there're so many walls to that.

One person will recommend something and the other will nod their head, but for the most part its people justifiying reading something and others just patronizing each other. I mean, I'm not trying to suggest this as a personal slight against the community in general, but hey case in point:

ManwithoutFear. I mean I routinely find something to disagree on with him (actually I have a LOT of things to disagree with, but hey it makes our interaction oh so much better), but I kinda feel pity for the fact that most of his evangelical efforts to promote Daredevil are considered a "personality quirk" rather than a recommendation one would actually follow up on.

I'm sure there is some of that, but I can personally tesify to the contrary - I've picked up Young Avengers, Supreme Power, and a couple other books based on recommendations on this board alone. And MwoF has me pretty much convinced to start reading Y: The Last Man as soon as I can have my shop order the first trade for me.

UltimateE said:
I'm sure there is some of that, but I can personally tesify to the contrary - I've picked up Young Avengers, Supreme Power, and a couple other books based on recommendations on this board alone. And MwoF has me pretty much convinced to start reading Y: The Last Man as soon as I can have my shop order the first trade for me.
Well, of course, I meant that in the sweeping generalization sense, so obviously you and a bunch of others do NOT fall under that. :D

ourchair said:
YAY!!! I THINK WHAT HE MEANS IS IF SOMEONE ELSE RECOMMENDED DD YOU GUYS WOULD PICK IT UP!!! YAY!!! Except that means I'm Daredevil's downfall :cry: don't you guys love me? :cry:

As for you E. I'm glad I could semi convince you to pick up Y... now (knowing you're a fan of Bendis) if i could only start getting you to read Daredevil.... :twisted:

and if only i could convince you and ice to start reading Supreme Power! Dammit, go sell someething to get enough money to get this!

And if only I could convince you all to check out Powers, The Walking Dead, Ex Machina, and most of the Vertigo library.....

Or atleast JSA. Come on man, Alex Ross is the new regular cover artist! Alex Ross man!

TheManWithoutFear said:
YAY!!! I THINK WHAT HE MEANS IS IF SOMEONE ELSE RECOMMENDED DD YOU GUYS WOULD PICK IT UP!!! YAY!!! Except that means I'm Daredevil's downfall :cry: don't you guys love me? :cry:

As for you E. I'm glad I could semi convince you to pick up Y... now (knowing you're a fan of Bendis) if i could only start getting you to read Daredevil.... :twisted:
Yeah, see we'd totally be buying Daredevil if Hulksmash recommended it! :p

Baxter said:
And if only I could convince you all to check out Powers

I tried it and didn't care for it.

If someone else told me to get DD I still wouldn't. He's not a character I'm really interested in. But this whole Y thing. I'm interested.

ProjectX2 said:
If someone else told me to get DD I still wouldn't. He's not a character I'm really interested in. But this whole Y thing. I'm interested.
I started reading DD when I got back into comics 4 years ago, and would you believe, I had the most shallow reason for picking it up: The cover to # 30 was pretty. :D

uc-05-dd30cover.jpg

I mean that's some good looking stuff to someone who had retired from comics for five years (1996-2001), don't you agree? Say it with me, nineties art was crap.

TheManWithoutFear said:
:evil: Guys this thread is aboutb Y, not Daredevil... unfortunately...
I know, I know. Sorry, but I'm under strict orders for my psychological health NOT to talk about Y: The Last Man. I mean, a man alone with his monkey in a world full of women, it keeps me up in ways I can't tell. :D

ourchair said:
I know, I know. Sorry, but I'm under strict orders for my psychological health NOT to talk about Y: The Last Man. I mean, a man alone with his monkey in a world full of women, it keeps me up in ways I can't tell. :D
Well, it is supposed to be autobiograpical on Vaughan's part.

MwoF - I just picked up Vol.1 today along with the new Sin City vol.1 reprint. I'll let you know how it is when I finish it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Really? How much like his own life does it all parallel?
Now, I'm certainly not the expert here, but I'm guessing that it's more of paralleling his relationships with women than actualy being his life. Like he seems to have found the perfect girl (Beth), the first love, one he seems destined to be with when it all goes to hell (Plague). Of course not having shadowed him his entire life means that this si nothing but rampent speculation on my part.

Latest posts

Back