Your 5 Favorite Films of 2007 -- Update As You Go

I think if you actually went and saw Epic Movie at the cinema you should HAVE to have that on your list as a public mark of shame.:noway:

eh, we've all been tricked into seeing bad movies.

spider-man 3 anyone? ;-) :shifty:

UPDATE:

Hot Fuzz - 5/5 - Perfect.
Grindhouse - 4.5/5 - I thought Death Proof started kind of slow, but overall it was really, really good.
300 - 4/5 - I thought it was kind of boring... until the battle started. Then it ruled.
The Prestige - 4/5 - I might need to watch this again.
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 3.5/5
Mr. Bean - 2/5 - It probably wasn't that bad, but it was predictable, and there was probably only one moment where I laughed. These movies just show Mr. Bean doesn't work on the big screen.
Spider-Man 3 - 1.5/5 - Terrible. Terrible.

I liked Pirates of the Caribbean, but I'm sure most of you know the problem I had with it. I changed Spider-Man 3 to a 1.5, as it disappointed me so much.

Last edited:
Shade chastised me for giving Spider-Man 3 too many points. I shall think about it a bit, but I think he is right.

update:

knocked up makes the list for this year thus far.

I'll revamp my list having seen Knocked Up today.

1. 300 (4.5)
2. Knocked Up (4)
3. Grindhouse (3.5)
4. Spider-Man 3 (3)
5. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End (3)

Movies that I've seen this year, in no particular order except for the one I put them in:

4. 28 Weeks Later
3. Spider-Man 3
2. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie Film for Theaters
1. Grindhouse

Knocked Up: 9/10- brilliant both times i saw it. A uniquely satisfying combination of drama and comedy, it made me care for the characters.
Hot Fuzz: 9/10- SO incredibly funny. I did not stop laughing.
Transformers: 8/10- soooooo good. Incredibly enjoyable, and a feast for the eyes. You have to see it to believe it.
Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End: 8/10- so very thoroughly entertaining.
Ocean's 13: 8/10- same as above.
Ratatouille: 8/10- borderline 7/8... but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. It came on REALLY strong at the end. And I was the only one laughing in the entire 3/4 packed theater (my family was there too). The subtlety of the humor was great. It's high point without a doubt.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: 8/10- the first half was really shoddy, but the second half REALLY made up for it. The fight at the Ministry of Magic was kick-***.
Hairspray: 8/10- fun, and the music was too damn catchy. Lots of funny moments, too.
Grindhouse: 7/10- lagged a bit in death proof's first half. stylistically superb.
300: 7/10- great, but too much FREEDOM, seemingly right-oriented propaganda mumbo jumbo... but entertaining nonetheless, and very well done.
Live Free Or Die Hard: 7/10- some ridiculous logic points (o i got shot in the knee... AND NOW I'LL STAND UP REAL FAST!!) and bad overdubbing, but very enjoyable.
Bridge To Terabithia: 7/10- really heart-wrenching. I dont think it'll have any lasting impact on me other than it's the latest thing to have made me *nearly* cry.
Shrek The Third: 6/10- great, except for the princess parts... i liked fiona so much better as a human... :(
Blades of Glory: 6/10- funny, but instantly forgettable.
Evan Almighty: 6/10- alright.
Spider-Man 3: 4/10- UGH.

Last edited:
Re: Top 5 films of 2007

I guess I could go ahead and pre-emptively put "Ocean's13" on the list because I just know for a fact that I'm gonna love it regardless of how absurd it is.

I love it when I'm right. :D

Still.....only 4 films warrant my ranking.

4 - Hot Fuzz
3 - Grindhouse
2- Ocean's 13
1 - 300

Knocked Up was tremendously funny.....but I still don't think it'd be one of my favs of 2007. Not Top 5 anyways. But it still earns an honrary place.

My Updated List;

Oceans 13
Hot Fuzz
Zodiac
Grindhouse

In no particular order. Smokin' Aces and Knocked up get honorable mentions.

Looking at your list, Doc, it appears that Spider-Man 3 is this year's Superman Returns for us, but with the positions reversed. What you said about Spidey 3 is almost exactly what I did about SR, and likewise to your response to my praise of it.

Going by this, I predict that you'll love the next big summer release, while I will be very disapointed by it.

Oh, wait....:neutral:

I've only seen three movies made in 2007 (Ghost Rider, Pirates and SM3) and they're all crap.

But I do have high hopes for Zodiac, Harry Potter, Blades of Glory, Fantastic Four 2, Knocked Up, Ocean's 13 and Shrek 3.

From movies I've seen in 2007, I think top 5 would be The Prestige, Children of Men, 300, Night at the Museum and The Last King of Scotland.

(Movies tend to come out here in Finland a little later than in the US.)

Last edited:
by this, I predict that you'll love the next big summer release, while I will be very disapointed by it.

The two next big summer blockbusters are Fantastic Four 2 and Transformers, both of which I expect to be terrible to the point of ripping out my hair.

Although I do think I'll like Ratatouille, and I am crossing my fingers about this year's Harry Potter Movie.

And if you're saying that I love Pirates, revisit my list... It is falling down my list, I just thought that it was a lot of fun and very enjoyable, but the thing is, there have been and will be plenty of much better movies this year. I just think that everyone was too harsh on it.

And last year you gave superman returns 9/10, and I gave it 8/10. You gave Pirates 2 10/10, and I gave it 8/10. So, at the end of the day, we pretty much agreed about last year's movies...

Except X-Men 3 (you gave it 8/10, I gave it 6/10, although that's still within two points), and V for Vendetta (you gave it 10/10, i gave it 6/10, though admittedly its because I couldn't enjoy it since I love the original and the film completely changed the message... It was a very well put constructed film)... And you gave Clerks 2 a 7.5 to my 10, and The Prestige a 7 to my 9... We have GENERALLY similar tastes in movies.

Last edited:
Fantastic 42 will hurt. As will Transformers and The Simpsons. I'm not sure I'll actually watch any in the cinema.

However, I saw a new film tonight so...

1. 300
2. Hot Fuzz
3. Ocean's Thirteen
4. Spider-Man 3

That's all so far.

I don't have high hopes for Transformers, nor the Simpsons movie. I'm still undecided about Fantastic Four 2. I see something at my local movie theater at least once a week though, so I'll probably see them all.

Latest posts

Back