2006 World Cup

Guijllons said:
I thought the ref was actually very fair, certainly considering the standard in this cup.

Gutted we're out, but life moves on. Suppose tat means I'm not that gutted, but still, I wish we had won. ****ing Penalties and ****ing Svennis.

As for Brazil going out, good, totally overrated team and I can move faster than Ronaldo.

I'm tipping a Germany France final and I sincerely hope that France win.
I could handle a Portugal win too, just not Germany and really not Italy who (aside from Switzerland) are the most boring national side on the planet.
You have to give Portugal's goalkeeper credit (Ricardo) he was awesome.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:

Yeah, he was impressive. So was Lehman against Argentina. These two are the front runners for the golden glove in my book.

Guijllons said:
I thought the ref was actually very fair, certainly considering the standard in this cup.
He was verry un-fair. e.g end of extra time he was going to blow the whistle (which he should of) but he saw Portugal get the ball and run at our goal so he let it contiune untill they missed.

WTF???? also i saw england players go down (fowl) and he ignored it more than he did Portugal.

Agree he was a great keeper during that match. It should not of got to pens but i blame ref. if ref had been fair i honestly think we would of won

sjmole said:
He was verry un-fair. e.g end of extra time he was going to blow the whistle (which he should of) but he saw Portugal get the ball and run at our goal so he let it contiune untill they missed.

WTF???? also i saw england players go down (fowl) and he ignored it more than he did Portugal.

Agree he was a great keeper during that match. It should not of got to pens but i blame ref. if ref had been fair i honestly think we would of won

I don't agree with you. The referee was very good, and I'm English as well. Rooney deserved to be sent off - his temper always gets the better of him. The Portugese set the whole match up - whenever the English get the ball, they just fall over and make out tat they deserve a free kick etc.

On a related topic, what do you think of the José +10 ads from adidas? I love those, I think they're great.

It seems inspired from Fields of Dream. For the few who didn't know, Beckenbauer and Platini are in the ad through the magic of CGI. They are legendary players that always make the top 10 no matter who makes the list of best players. They have retired decades ago. And Defoe isn't a goal tender, which explains his reaction and the amusement of the other players when the kid tosses him the gloves and the unorthodox way he block the shot directed at him.

And I think the music is great. If all ads were like that, I wouldn't mind them.

Last edited:
nigma said:
Italy vs. France for the final game?

I hope so! I'm a bit sad Germany is out. But that was a masterful goal by Pirlo/Grosso. The Italians didn't steal that game.

still say the final will be Italy and Portugal
I still have hope =P

You just desesperately want at least some of the finalist to speak Portugese. It won't happen! Allez les bleus!

France in Finals! 2nd final in 3 years. On a goal by Zidane. It really is his tournament. Way to end a career.

E.Vi.L. said:
France in Finals! 2nd final in 3 years. On a goal by Zidane. It really is his tournament. Way to end a career.

Personal question that may seem off-color but I don't intend it to be: Why are you rooting for France? Because they speak French? Don't they kind of look down on French Canadians (and is that what you call people from Quebec)?

E said:
Personal question that may seem off-color but I don't intend it to be: Why are you rooting for France? Because they speak French? Don't they kind of look down on French Canadians (and is that what you call people from Quebec)?

Québécois

And no, they don't look down on us on average. Lots of Québécois tourists in France and French tourists in Québec every year. Rarely I hear a complaint. We often refer to each other as "Les cousins". Lots of cultural inter-exchange. Many Artists from Québec have a career in France and many French Artist can book our biggest amphiteatre when they come (Indochine, most recently). Same for movies. Yeah, I guess most French would see their country as culturally more important in the French speaking world. And they would be right (A helluva lot more French then Québécois on this planet!) but aside from our litterature, our culture does well over there.

For my part, one of my best friends was born in France is currently back there completing a doctorate. His mother was one of my teacher for every year of high school. She's back in France now and I went to France two weeks last year including a few days at her campaign home in Normandy. Good memories all around.

So yeah, I root for France.

In Montréal we have a lot of French Native, but also about 250 000 citziens of Italian descent. No matter who wins on the 9th, it will be nosy. Many say that Montréal is the most European city in North America on that day it will show. (No riots expected though, that's reserved for hockey ;) )

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Québécois

And no, they don't look down on us. Lots of Québécois tourists in France and French tourists in Québec every year. Rarely I hear a complaint. We often refer to each other as "Les cousins".

For my part, one of my best friends was born in France is currently back there completing a doctorate. He mother was one of my teacher for every year of high school. She's back in France now and I went to France two weeks last year including a few days at her campaign home in Normandy. Good memories all around.

So yeah, I root for France.

Ah OK. I hope that didn't come off as rude - I really didn't intend it to be.

I thought I had heard that French people looked down on Québécois, and I don't even know where I heard that. And I though the feeling was mutual.

My apologies.

FORZA AZZURRI!

i've said this to my friends, but if Italy wins the World Cup, this would be the best summer of my life. i remember going to a two games in '94 and seeing Baggio, and it was great. But then they lost in the final... tear. This would be a dream.

and they can do it! great TEAM.

Congratulation to Italia.

France had a better second half and overtime than Italia but if you don't score, there is no point awarded for effort.

I wonder what Matterazi can possibly have said to Zidane 10 minutes before the end to make him lose his temper this bad. The guy has only been expelled 12 time (including this) in 17 years of professionnal football. To do this in this spot, when France wasn't losing the game... Might have been something about his wife/family (the guy is known for being old fashioned about things like that). I don't know. Not an excuse but still, I'd like to understand.

Latest posts

Back