Action Comics/Superman discussion (Spoilers!)

So I've been concidering picking up some of the New Krypton stuff in collections and I have a few questions.

1 - How essential is Robinson's Atlas arc?

2 - is it keeping up a head of steam or is it meandering?

3 - Are the Johns collections before it required? I'll probably get them anyway but it'd be nice to know.

Thanks for the help.

Friday said:
1 - How essential is Robinson's Atlas arc?

Not very. It introduces Atlas but doesn't reveal much about him, and also gives a glimpse (briefly) at Project 7734 and the mystery man behind that, which is shaping up to be one of the principal villains of the story. It's kind of a fun arc, but not essential.

Friday said:
2 - is it keeping up a head of steam or is it meandering?

It's pretty meandering. There's decent quality to it all, but Robinson in particular likes to juggle a large tangential cast and sort of placidly wander towards the story.

Friday said:
3 - Are the Johns collections before it required? I'll probably get them anyway but it'd be nice to know.

not essential, but they provide background. Last Son introduces Zod, his wife, and their son, who are all key characters in the present storyline. Brainiac gives us a pretty cool reimagining of the character that also introduces Kandor and develops New Krypton as a plot element.

As for the books themselves, so far they haven't relied too much on crossover, but now we're going head-first into an all-books mash-up. Supergirl has mostly worked on building an ongoing supporting cast for Kara that meshes with the rest of the Superman mythos. It's tied her into Daily Planet staff as well as provided established villains which tie back to Project 7734. It's largely about the conflict of heritage she faces: Kryptonian vs. Earth. Action Comics has established two new heroes from New Krypton who are on a secret mission to eliminate hostile Kryptonians hidden on Earth. Superman: World of New Krypton has largely concerned itself with detailing the peculiarities and politics of Kryptonian culture. Superman's come to New Krypton to keep an eye on Zod, and in the process, we get a look at how things work on his home world. It's probably the best book of the bunch, and provides a decent amount of twists and turns. Superman has dealt with Metropolis in Superman's absence. We follow Guardian and the Science Police, Mon-El, Zatara, Steel, and a few others. It's the most meandering of the bunch, and as a result, there's issues that Robinson really hits out of the park, and then others that seem to be completely filler.

All in all, the books are decent but not spectacular. None of the books are bad, but they're rarely great either.

Last edited:
So I picked up Superman today. I enjoyed it, even tho it refered to. A bunch of stuff from the current series that I haven't read yet as well as some stuff that hasn't come out. I'm looking at you Adventure Comics. I'm still not a fan of Mon-Els new look, but one thing made me grin like a god damned idiot.

Mitch is Matter Eater Lad.

Rock on Tenzil.

Why is everyone so down on Mon-El's 'new' look? All they've done is put a little S shield on the side of his chest. I think it's cool.

Why is everyone so down on Mon-El's 'new' look? All they've done is put a little S shield on the side of his chest. I think it's cool.

My problem is they went from something that looked like clothes with a cape to a form fitting superman suit. Just because the color scheme is the same doesn't mean it looks as good.
It's too bad Adventure comics hasn't tied in with this at all.

Its supposed to tie in after Johns leaves until levitz comes on.

Mon-El is a great character. I like both of his costumes.

Cornell's Action Comics is great. I loved Lex Luthor vs. Mister Mind.

tumblr_l6attvj0JR1qzla78o1_500.png

Last edited:
I dont' find those backups at all interesting.

Really?

I didn't think the Tec backup was as good as the main story, but it's still the first installment and it felt strong. It seems like it could be a good tonal successor to the Brubaker/Rucka Batman years.

As far as the Olsen backup, I can't say enough nice things about it. It's just a perfect companion to the Luthor story.

The Jimmy Olsen backup is great.

"Who wants a to go on a shopping spree with Metropolis' girl of steel: Supergirl!"

"Yaaaaayyy!"

"-At the Yarn Barn!"

"Nooooo!"

He's probably the worst person I've ever dealt with online, and he writes the worst dialogue I've ever read. I will never buy a comic with his name on it.

Latest posts

Back