Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

Best episode so far. Liked Hall's twist and motivation, and like the possibility of him returning as Graviton due to what happened to him in this episode. Skye and Ward's interplay and development was also improved. And now more than ever I'm convinced Coulson is an LMD, further evidenced by his not being able to dismantle the guns.

Also looking forward to seeing May back in the field on a regular basis.

But yeah, Hall was interesting. Looking forward to seeing him return.

Yeah, this episode was leaps and bounds better than the first two. It's still trying to find it's stride I think, but the story was more interesting, and there was an interesting villain. Plus, I liked the set up for Graviton as a future villain.

The only cheesy moment this episode was the silhouette of them all walking in a line to where the semi had been flipped. (And I suppose Ward's story about being beaten up by his brother, but Sky's metaphor about shield being "a nice big brother that defends his little brother from getting beaten up by their bigger brother... for eating cake..." redeemed it for me.) And there were a couple other moments that made me laugh "Not to mention my card collection" being one of them.

Fitz & Simmons are still mostly annoying. I'm looking forward to seeing more of May. And I found Coulson's inability to dismantle the gun interesting. ALthough they didn't need the second scene where he was still trying and comments on how it should be muscle memory. I made the connection the first time. They aren't at all subtle with their hints. "Hey look, we're doing something tricky here! Did you get the hint?!"

Overall, I liked it and I'm encouraged about the future of the show.

Yeah, this episode was leaps and bounds better than the first two. It's still trying to find it's stride I think, but the story was more interesting, and there was an interesting villain. Plus, I liked the set up for Graviton as a future villain.

Indeed. Additionally, it's should help put to rest some of the complaints by people that the show isn't inherently worth it since it's not about characters from the comics. By gradually introducing B and C list villains and writing them well, it's doing just that.

The only cheesy moment this episode was the silhouette of them all walking in a line to where the semi had been flipped. (And I suppose Ward's story about being beaten up by his brother, but Sky's metaphor about shield being "a nice big brother that defends his little brother from getting beaten up by their bigger brother... for eating cake..." redeemed it for me.) And there were a couple other moments that made me laugh "Not to mention my card collection" being one of them.

Fitz & Simmons are still mostly annoying.

Eh, I don't mind them. Plus Simmons is adorable.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of May. And I found Coulson's inability to dismantle the gun interesting. ALthough they didn't need the second scene where he was still trying and comments on how it should be muscle memory. I made the connection the first time. They aren't at all subtle with their hints. "Hey look, we're doing something tricky here! Did you get the hint?!" Overall, I liked it and I'm encouraged about the future of the show.

I agree about the second gun dismantling scene, but don't forget this is a prime time show at 8pm. That's a time slot not known for its audience being privy to overly subtle hints. Plus the second scene made sense for the character of Coulson, who wouldn't have just shrugged off an inability to do something he'd been able to do easily before. I'm sure it's supposed to also lay the groundwork for him to start figuring out something isn't right. Not subtle, but effective.

I'm not saying it should happen this season, but I would love an episode where they go to Madripoor to find out Hydra is back in business.

I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot. It's the only episode I've watched; I've got all 3 recorded but found that I couldn't' make myself care enough about it to sit down and watch them. Weird because I was genuinely excited about the concept.

I do like teh level of integration with the existing films. I thought this was going to be less supplemental and more "on its own" than it is. I'm glad it's not.

But the pilot was better than I was expecting, and I'm looking forward to watching the next 2 episodes.

The second episode has been by far the weakest so far. Apparently it just got a full season pick up.

I think my main problem so far is that it has been so episodic. I want it to be serialized and have a strong season long arc, and so far we have barely gotten any of that. Personally I find serialized shows to be (in most cases) leaps and bounds above shows that are more episodic in nature, and I think SHIELD could benefit greatly from becoming more serialized.

I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot. It's the only episode I've watched; I've got all 3 recorded but found that I couldn't' make myself care enough about it to sit down and watch them. Weird because I was genuinely excited about the concept.

I do like teh level of integration with the existing films. I thought this was going to be less supplemental and more "on its own" than it is. I'm glad it's not.

But the pilot was better than I was expecting, and I'm looking forward to watching the next 2 episodes.

Episode 2 is meh, but the third episode was pretty awesome.

The second episode has been by far the weakest so far. Apparently it just got a full season pick up.

I think my main problem so far is that it has been so episodic. I want it to be serialized and have a strong season long arc, and so far we have barely gotten any of that. Personally I find serialized shows to be (in most cases) leaps and bounds above shows that are more episodic in nature, and I think SHIELD could benefit greatly from becoming more serialized.

It's only 3 episodes in, and already has been laying the groundwork for ongoing plot lines. But I think expecting it to be seralized like Lost or Prison Break, etc, is a mistake. It's obvious based on the subject matter and format it'd be more episodic, "done-in-one" type of show. The case per week formula makes sense for the show's storyline as well as targeted viewership for a prime time lead off show on Tuesday nights.

That said, there are strong elements of serialized storytelling balancing the episodic nature, concerning the the ongoing stories around the main characters and Rising Tide, and the set up for the return of characters like Michael Peterson from the Pilot and certainly Dr. Hall/Graviton from episode 3.

Cool! Looking forward to him seeing Coulson alive...well, maybe alive.

That said, there are strong elements of serialized storytelling balancing the episodic nature, concerning the the ongoing stories around the main characters and Rising Tide, and the set up for the return of characters like Michael Peterson from the Pilot and certainly Dr. Hall/Graviton from episode 3.

I strongly disagree. Basically all we've got so far is a couple of name drops of the rising tide, the vaguest of hints about Coulson, and about a 5 second clip of Skye's dilemma. The last episode was a big step forward in this regard by introducing the first (most likely) recurring antagonist (unless the doctor from the pilot shows up again).

The best example I can think of that the storytelling in SHIELD can learn from is Fringe. That show was the perfect blend of procedural and serialized storytelling. Even when they did "of the week" episodes it all tied together into a larger cohesive plot. With SHIELD it would be easy to do this by having the Rising Tide play a part in most (if not all) of the cases. If the second and third episodes had been tied at all to the Rising Tide plot it would have done wonders to improve the long form storytelling of the show. Instead they were just one-offs, one if which will more than likely never be touched upon again. It is just a wasted opportunity.

I strongly disagree. Basically all we've got so far is a couple of name drops of the rising tide, the vaguest of hints about Coulson, and about a 5 second clip of Skye's dilemma. The last episode was a big step forward in this regard by introducing the first (most likely) recurring antagonist (unless the doctor from the pilot shows up again). The best example I can think of that the storytelling in SHIELD can learn from is Fringe. That show was the perfect blend of procedural and serialized storytelling. Even when they did "of the week" episodes it all tied together into a larger cohesive plot. With SHIELD it would be easy to do this by having the Rising Tide play a part in most (if not all) of the cases. If the second and third episodes had been tied at all to the Rising Tide plot it would have done wonders to improve the long form storytelling of the show. Instead they were just one-offs, one if which will more than likely never be touched upon again. It is just a wasted opportunity.

Not at all. It'd be far too focused on Rising Tide if every episode focused on them. The next episode will be concerning them, so there's that. I'd prefer a more gradual approach, instead of forcing it all right out of the gate. It's a 22 episode season. We've got 19 more episodes to explore all that and set up further plot lines. If Rising Tide plays a part in every (or even most) episodes, it robs the show of a sense of SHIELD focusing on many different problems and being a worldwide agency. It should have a decent number of one-off episodes to echo that. And again, it's aired only 3 episodes...don't you think you're jumping the gun with your expectations?

I agree. I was a bit ehh with the 2nd episode but three picked up. Most shows take a bit to hit their stride.

Jeph Loeb was talking, and I can't remember where I watched the interview (I think it was IGN), about how since they thought they were only going to get 13 episodes a lot of good stuff will come in those and build outwards from that in the rest of the season.

Episode three was damn good. Was really glued the whole time and I loved the double double cross Skye had. Really excited for Hall to return.

Marvel Studios plans a massive small screen expansion

Following the full season pick-up of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." last week and rumors of a proposed Agent Carter spinoff series comes word, via Deadline, that a 60-episode package is being shopped around to cable networks and VOD distributors. It is said to include four dramas and a miniseries of some sort, although specific details are currently being kept top secret.

Yep. Still remains to be seen if it'll all be MCU related, or some will be MCU shows while others will be independent shows in their own universe, sort of like Arrow and the Man of Steel universes being separate.

Also, episode 4 was also pretty good. I enjoyed the fact it was more Coulson centric as well as giving May a larger role and presence. It's also setting up the big bad shadow organization effectively. My interest is piqued. Also more allusions to Coulson's post-death change.

The "seduce him" thing was funny. Looking forward to next week's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back