Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

I am really really hoping Rising Tide is hydra. I twill feel like such a misstep if it's not. Especially with the potential set up for Winter Soldier this episode with the bionic eye.This will feel so cool if it very nicely sets up all the phase 2 movies.

I am really really hoping Rising Tide is hydra. I twill feel like such a misstep if it's not. Especially with the potential set up for Winter Soldier this episode with the bionic eye.This will feel so cool if it very nicely sets up all the phase 2 movies.

Is the rising tide the same as the mysterious bad guy behind episode 4? They didn't say it was. Was it connected to the centipede thing in the pilot? I feel like the rising tide is basically a group of hackers who want to expose the truth to the world, which has put them at odds with SHIELD and maybe aligned them with the bad guys. But to be honest I'm sort of confused.

Also, are we still concerned about Skye? She seems really loyal to SHIELD at this point and she didn't betray them with the dude in episode 3, but there has never been any follow up from the "I'm in" text she sent at the end of episode 2.

But yeah, this episode was fun. I laughed when Grant got the order to seduce the guard. I still don't find the interaction between FitzSimmons and the rest of the team funny. I feel like they're trying too hard to play it up.

Is the rising tide the same as the mysterious bad guy behind episode 4? They didn't say it was. Was it connected to the centipede thing in the pilot? I feel like the rising tide is basically a group of hackers who want to expose the truth to the world, which has put them at odds with SHIELD and maybe aligned them with the bad guys. But to be honest I'm sort of confused.

Not sure. It was revealed in episode 3 that Rising Tide was connected to the rich guy who kidnapped Dr. Hall, but it hasn't really been explained how wide spread and how dangerous arising Tide really is. I have a feeling it's far more than a group of hackers and will be shown to be like an anti-SHIELD, sort of a non-religious or region-specific MCU version of Al Qaeda. I think once that's shown Skye's previous membership will be clarified.

Also, are we still concerned about Skye? She seems really loyal to SHIELD at this point and she didn't betray them with the dude in episode 3, but there has never been any follow up from the "I'm in" text she sent at the end of episode 2.

Not yet, but the previews for next week's episode showed her dual alliances will be discovered and addressed. Coulson seemed pissed.

That could also lead to further exploration of him being an LMD. Perhaps because he's no longer human, he lacks that sixth sense or gut feeling he used to have in terms of gauging people. That assumes he actually is an LMD of course.

But yeah, this episode was fun. I laughed when Grant got the order to seduce the guard. I still don't find the interaction between FitzSimmons and the rest of the team funny. I feel like they're trying too hard to play it up.

I like Fitz and Simmons (especially Simmons--she's so hot!). Course I may be thinking more with my penis than objectively.

But man, she's hot. Fitz I just put up with while enjoying the eye candy that is Elizabeth Henstridge.

So going by the doctor's words, in the MCU, no one's aware that people are born with powers yet.

Nope, and I prefer that. The sudden appearance of people being born with powers isn't logical in any scientific sense (sorry X-Men). All powered characters in the MCU are either due to science experiments (Captain America and Red Skull, Hulk and Abomination), technology (Iron Man, Stane, Whiplash, War Machine/Iron Patriot), or Godhood/advanced alien inter dimensional beings (Thor, Loki, and the rest of the Asgardians). So other than the Asgardians, all powers are derived through science and technology, not happenstance genetic mutations, which occur over millions of years and not in a generation or two with a variety of useful superhuman powers.

The explanation that Scorch's cells being fire resistant would stabilize the Extremis formula was interesting. Also cool to see further light shed on Rising Tide, and it now being confirmed they're far more than just a group of hackers. Wondering about the guy in prison at the end, who he is, what position he holds (or held) in Rising Tide, and who the clairvoyant is.

I don't think it'll stay that way, though. I think it'll eventually happen.

Maybe, but I hope not. I prefer the somewhat believable approach to the science behind the MCU as opposed to the unbelievably over the top explanations like being born with powers. Maybe if it was the offspring of one of the existing super powered people (like if Banner or Cap had a kid) there'd be a certain believable logic to it, but from a regular person with no real reason...no thanks. Maybe if the Extremis research goes into fetus territory, involving Rising Tide or AIM or some other group with access to it seeing how it reacts with uncoded stem cells or something as a way of preventing the overload/explosions without needing regular injections.

Here an hypothesis about the true identity of Skye:

I've based my theory with what we already know about Skye and the famous St. Agnes Orphanage paper made by SHIELD:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/785791skyetrueidentity.png

The sentence that interest us is: "Medical Examination Results regarding female infant..."
If you zoom on the name hidden by the black line, you can see "M----_P--"

On the 616 universe, I found that Maria Pym (first wife of Henry Pym) was working for AIM, and was transformed later in a MODOK-like called SODAM (Specialized Organism Designed for Aggressive Maneuvres). When asked about her identity, SODAM stated that she was brainwashed and that her personal records were falsified by AIM.

You can see more of her here: http://marvel.wikia.com/Maria_Trovaya_(Earth-616)

Do you think Skye could be the Maria Pym of the MCU? Daughter of Henry Pym?

Here an hypothesis about the true identity of Skye: I've based my theory with what we already know about Skye and the famous St. Agnes Orphanage paper made by SHIELD: http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/785791skyetrueidentity.png The sentence that interest us is: "Medical Examination Results regarding female infant..." If you zoom on the name hidden by the black line, you can see "M----_P--" On the 616 universe, I found that Maria Pym (first wife of Henry Pym) was working for AIM, and was transformed later in a MODOK-like called SODAM (Specialized Organism Designed for Aggressive Maneuvres). When asked about her identity, SODAM stated that she was brainwashed and that her personal records were falsified by AIM. You can see more of her here: http://marvel.wikia.com/Maria_Trovaya_%28Earth-616%29 Do you think Skye could be the Maria Pym of the MCU? Daughter of Henry Pym?

Could be, though it may be a stretch. It also depends on who ends up being cast as Hank Pym in Ant-Man. If it's JGL, I'd say he's way too young to viably pull of making Skye his daughter (based on that report she was likely born in 1989 based on the redacted date), making her around 24 years old by the time AoS occurs. If Paul Rudd is cast it could be doable, but that's push Pym's age as likely being in his mid-40's minimum. I guess early 40's could work since a reason for her being put up for adoption could be the young age of her birth parents, but I expect the real reasoning to be far more clandestine than that once it's revealed.

It's a good theory, but I'd wager she's either a character not from the comics (as just about all the characters on the show are, except for Dr. Hall and Fury and Hill's cameos) or someone from the comics but a D-list character, possibly a character from SHIELD comics. I'd wager on the former, though.

I am also presuming her parents/origin will tie in with Rising Tide or the Centipede/Extremis stuff. Not necessarily that she has powers, but perhaps her parents were researchers or something. Course given the timeline of Extremis being created between the late 1990's and human trials occurring around 2008 or 2009 (if I recall correctly), she's about 10-20 years too old to have gained powers from it, let alone be out up for adoption by researchers working on that if she was born in 1989.

I'm wondering if her dad may not be that dude in jail seen at the end of last night's episode, the one referring to the clairvoyant while talking to Raina.

Also cool to see further light shed on Rising Tide, and it now being confirmed they're far more than just a group of hackers.

What? No, I got the exact opposite. They are basically wiki leaks. They believe in free information and hate clandestine government organizations, so they hack SHIELD's data streams to release the classified info to the public. The 'centipede' organization is a separate entity that paid Skye's old hacker boyfriend to hack the Hong Kong data stream so they could find "Scorch" and experiment on him to stabilize the centipede formula. Rising Tide isn't the bad guy, they're just hippy hackers that are messing things up for SHIELD.

What? No, I got the exact opposite. They are basically wiki leaks. They believe in free information and hate clandestine government organizations, so they hack SHIELD's data streams to release the classified info to the public. The 'centipede' organization is a separate entity that paid Skye's old hacker boyfriend to hack the Hong Kong data stream so they could find "Scorch" and experiment on him to stabilize the centipede formula. Rising Tide isn't the bad guy, they're just hippy hackers that are messing things up for SHIELD.

You're right. My bad.

Edgard Wright stated Henry Pym would discover his Pym's particule during the 60's.
So I'm assuming it could be possible.

But as you said, the guy in prison could be her father too.

Edgard Wright stated Henry Pym would discover his Pym's particule during the 60's. So I'm assuming it could be possible. But as you said, the guy in prison could be her father too.

Well it may go either way. Now reports are saying the Ant-Man script is a "heist" movie (according to Feige) so the reports of it including Scott Lang stealing the suit may be accurate. Also Wright did say his script was heavily based on the "To Steal an Ant-Man" comic story (or whatever it was called).

It's sort of a let down when you're expecting a debate and the other person just agrees with you immediately. ;)

Well before last episode I'd have debated, but the most recent one kind of showed otherwise. We'll see, though. More light will be shed on Rising Tide as the series progresses. I do think there's more to Rising Tide than just some altruistic hackers, but who knows? It could even be that RT is funded by the Centipede group without most of its members knowing it.

This sounds interesting:

Agents of SHIELD will help set up the events of Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Makes sense, given SHIELD's large role in the film.

Cool. Marvel is doing an excellent job of making me excited about the whole cinematic universe. Not every movie/episode has been gold, but the great parts are made so much better by the experience as a whole. I feel like they've figured out how to move past the heavyhanded connections that bogged down Iron Man 2 (and Thor to a much lesser extent) and are really nailing it right now.

I was excited to watch yesterday's episode tonight, but apparently there wasn't an episode last night. When did it become okay for shows to randomly skip weeks? I feel like this has only started in the past several years...

EDIT: unless they skipped a week because next week's show somehow ties into Thor: The Dark World. That would be very okay with me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back