Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. news & discussions (spoilers)

What didn't you like about it?

Honestly, it wasn't the greatest pilot I've ever seen. It wasn't in the vicinity of LOST or Alias, etc, but it was fun. I'll admit, I thought some of the snappy patter was over the top. And the scene at the end when everyone is smiling in slow motion after Ward shoots Mike with Fitz/Simmons stun gun was sort of cheesy.

I feel like in order to tell a story in a serial format (comics, tv shows, and movie series) there needs to be some groundwork laid before the story teller can really tell the story they want to. In this pilot they put together the team, briefly introduced us to each character and teased a few character threads that they're going to explore in the future, established the connections between the show and the larger established universe, and gave us a conflict that set up the arc for the season. They accomplished a lot and kept me excited to see where it's going to go from here.

This v

Is this the least interesting, most generic, boring cast ever assembled for a TV show?

I mean it wasn't bad. I am going to hate the comic referencing wanking they do in these things. Journey into Mystery. Someone kill me.

The whole thing felt like someone trying to be Joss Whedon.

"It's a disaster."
"No ... It's an origin story."

I thought this was basically decent. The dialogue was pretty bad (see above). I don't really like the cast yet. I don't like it when a main cast is comprised solely of good-looking people. They should have thrown some average-looking people in there for good measure. I also hate the use of cutesy naming conventions like "Fitz-Simmons." I think I just hate Joss Whedon.

I don't like it when a main cast is comprised solely of good-looking people. They should have thrown some average-looking people in there for good measure.

Coulson and Fitz are both average looking. Granted, Ward, Skye, and Simmons are all attractive people, and May is also an attractive older woman, but it's TV. Hell, look at Lost. That plane was like a convention of good looking people in large part. Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Boone, Shannon, etc. Hollywood, man...them's the breaks.

Do you think "Debbie" (Shannon Lucio) is related to Deborah Bertrand?

I ask because:

* The professor "Debbie" is working for a secrete group on the Centipede (a mix of a Super Soldier serum, Extremis, gamma radiation and alien technology).
* Deborah Bertrand (aka Diamondback II) was fighting against Nick Fury in Secret War.
* Diamondback is related to the Serpent Society, and HYDRA.
* the actress firstname is Lucio, and Diamondback II worked for Lucia von Bardas.

Apparently there are rumors of a Nick Fury appearance this week.

We'll see in a couple hours.

Apparently there'll be a post credits scene in this episode, and maybe others? I'm pretty sure there wasn't one last week. I watched through them and didn't see anything.

There was a preview of tonight's episode.

There was a preview of tonight's episode.

I know but it was implied it'd be a post credits scene like the movies feature, not a preview of next week's episode like every other show.

Also, Fury at the end was awesome. I honestly didn't expect that until at least a series finale. Nice surprise and very cool to see him show up.

Episode was ok, kind of meh.

It was far too name drop-y. Other than that I thought it was a slight improvement over the premiere, even if some of the shots look like they cost about 5$ to film.

MUCH better episode. If they make Fitz and Simmons less annoying then there could be something really special here. Also Fury at the end, while extremely awesome, has me weary that it will become "Marvel Cinematic Universe Star of the Week".

Yeah, I felt the same way. I really hope this picks up.

I just thought the raft plugging the hole in the plane was stupid. It's sucking 200 lbs men out no problem, but it's not going to fold the blow up raft and suck that out too? It was a stupid solution to the problem.

MUCH better episode. If they make Fitz and Simmons less annoying then there could be something really special here. Also Fury at the end, while extremely awesome, has me weary that it will become "Marvel Cinematic Universe Star of the Week".

I wouldn't worry. I'd wager that's probably the last of the big name film stars we'll see until the series finale. I do think we'll see mentions of the events of Thor - The Dark World in an episode in early November, and maybe, just maybe, an appearance by Chris Evans or Scarlett Johanssen in April when Cap-TWS comes out, but that's not likely. Probably just mentions of the films events, maybe another Maria Hill appearance. Wouldn't worry too much about your "Star of the Week" theory.

It's likely they did so in the first couple episodes to hook people and remind them of its connections to the films, but I doubt it'll be a regular thing.

I just thought the raft plugging the hole in the plane was stupid. It's sucking 200 lbs men out no problem, but it's not going to fold the blow up raft and suck that out too? It was a stupid solution to the problem.

Yup, that frustrated me too. But even just that both episodes have ended with the scene in slow motion with everyone smiling and music playing in the background. It's just cheesy.

Anyway, I mostly enjoyed it. I just was hoping for something a little bit better.

Also: Coulson said that Tahiti was a "magical place" again. Something definitely is up there. I'm starting to think that maybe he got brought back to life by like a Dr Voodoo or Miracle Max type character.

Best part of the episode was the very last line: "We're going to have to kill the aquarium."

Last edited:
Yup, that frustrated me too. But even just that both episodes have ended with the scene in slow motion with everyone smiling and music playing in the background. It's just cheesy. Anyway, I mostly enjoyed it. I just was hoping for something a little bit better. Also: Coulson said that Tahiti was a "magical place" again. Something definitely is up there. I'm starting to think that maybe he got brought back to life by like a Dr Voodoo or Miracle Max type character. Best part of the episode was the very last line: "We're going to have to kill the aquarium."

I see the Coulson repeatedly referring to Tahiti as a "magical place" leaning towards him being a LMD. The magical place line just being a part of his programming. It'd be interesting to see them delve into that and show them transferring the real Coulson's consciousness to the LMD in a flashback when it's revealed. Perhaps using Tesseract derived technology.

Also, this SHIELD team seems to be a bunch of alcoholics. Fitz and Simmons were drinking beers at the end of episode 1, Skye and Ward were drinking the hard stuff middle of episode 2, Fury references the plane's "nice bar", and by episode's end they're drinking beer again as they watch the rocket take off. Guess it makes sense, it's a stressful job.

The aquarium line was funny. I got a kick out of the Fury surprise appearance.

The show is middle of the road. There's some great stuff and some nice humor, but it's dragged down by the corny portions and stupid moments like the raft. Hoping the high ratings will allow them to hire some more talented writers.

Also looks like Skye is a mole for Rising Tide. Kind of cliche, her dual allegiances and developing attraction to Ward is just...not exciting. Very played out, done to death. We'll see how it's handled.

Still, despite my complaints and reservations, I'm still excited by the show, and love its role of an extension of the MCU.

Last edited:
Episode 2 reminded me of 80's shows like Knight Rider and the A Team. And that's not in a good way. The cheesy dialogue, the raft thing, the smile ending,all the things we mentioned above. The only thing that saved it was Nick Fury. This was let's tell everyone who's who and what they contribute to the team. The best TV characters are the ones who develop over time. Everything felt force fed this week. I'm really hoping for this show because it's a great idea and it's nice to see something on prime time that isn't a karaoke contest.

It's... okaying. The second ep was definitely better than the first. I agree with DiB and dd's sentiments that it's pretty riddled with primetime action-adventure cliches, but maybe it will get its footing later in the season. The raft thing and the romantic subplot between Skye and dude are particularly egregious, but there's been some awful dialogue too. The super-powered dad in the first episode was, like, a repository for the worst lines ever.

;) It's no Hannibal.

I was thinking about it, and I think one way to make the team dynamic more interesting might be if they had a single super powered individual on the team. It could cause tension, being up feelings of inadequacy in certain members that might make them more interesting, etc. I dunno, just a thought.

Latest posts

Back