Am I the only person who actually likes Ultimate Iron Man?

Hawkeye101 said:
I could have sworn that the monkey busted his hand into her helmet and the glass cut the monkey's hand off spilling blood into her mouth. Yeah, because later thay show the monkey with a partially grown back hand, cuz of the syrums effects.

Yeah it definitly cut its hand but it bit her, I think on the face or something after the mask broke.

Last edited:
Spade said:
we still dont know how this whole human brain thing will play out were only at issue 3 at least give it till the first mini is done

Thats partially fair, I'm just basing my opinions on what I've read so far (which is all I can do) and Card as a person. The guy is kind of closed-minded and ignorant on a lot of topics, yet has no problem jabbering on about his one-sided views. He's the type of guy who isn't willing to listen to the other side, and thats the epitome of ignorance. I can understand not agreeing, but refusing to even try to understand is less than human in my opinion. And from the UIM mini, he's proven himself a less than worthy comic writer.

Hey, I just learned the other night that OSC is kind of a homophobe. Is this true? And is this why you all are closed minded about his writing?

Hawkeye101 said:
Hey, I just learned the other night that OSC is kind of a homophobe. Is this true? And is this why you all are closed minded about his writing?

Yes, he is a homophobe, but thats not why I'm close-minded about his writing. I learned about that before I even picked up UIM #1, and wasn't happy about it but didn't care all that much either. Then I read a whole dissertation of his about gay people and it was obvious he never even tried to relate or look at them as humans, he thinks of them basically as freaks (or societal anomalies as he put it once). Then I read UIM #1, and the following issues, and I developed my opinion mainly from that. I'm just not a fan of his as a comic book writer, at least so far.

DIrishB said:
Yes, he is a homophobe, but thats not why I'm close-minded about his writing. I learned about that before I even picked up UIM #1, and wasn't happy about it but didn't care all that much either. Then I read a whole dissertation of his about gay people and it was obvious he never even tried to relate or look at them as humans, he thinks of them basically as freaks (or societal anomalies as he put it once). Then I read UIM #1, and the following issues, and I developed my opinion mainly from that. I'm just not a fan of his as a comic book writer, at least so far.

Well, thats unfortuneate :( (him being a homophobe, not you dislikeing his writing) You'd think someone who writes things about 'different' people he would understand. Oh-well.

Hawkeye101 said:
Well, thats unfortuneate :( (him being a homophobe, not you dislikeing his writing) You'd think someone who writes things about 'different' people he would understand. Oh-well.

Exactly my reasoning, and if he wants to not agree with homosexuality, thats his right, but its not his right to say its wrong. I mean you don't see gay people saying straight people are in the wrong or are freaks, do you (well not that often anyway, and the ones that do tend to be a bit set in their ways)? Like I said, he's entitled to his opinion, but when he belittles an entire group of people, however intelligently he tries to dress it up, its wrong. And your statement about the subjects he writes about is very true, you would think he'd be a bit more understanding given what he does for a living...which is writes science-fiction and focuses on genetic freaks (Ender's Game, Ultimate Iron Man, etc). Its extremely hypocritical and self-serving.

DIrishB said:
Exactly my reasoning, and if he wants to not agree with homosexuality, thats his right, but its not his right to say its wrong. I mean you don't see gay people saying straight people are in the wrong or are freaks, do you (well not that often anyway, and the ones that do tend to be a bit set in their ways)? Like I said, he's entitled to his opinion, but when he belittles an entire group of people, however intelligently he tries to dress it up, its wrong. And your statement about the subjects he writes about is very true, you would think he'd be a bit more understanding given what he does for a living...which is writes science-fiction and focuses on genetic freaks (Ender's Game, Ultimate Iron Man, etc). Its extremely hypocritical and self-serving.

Just be careful, this is America and as long as you don't threaten someone's life, you can say what you want. Bashing what they say is doing the exact same thing that they are doing. Educate rather than hate, no matter what they are saying, this goes for homophobes, KKK, and even anti-mutant radicals (tee-hee on the last one) :D

Hawkeye101 said:
Just be careful, this is America and as long as you don't threaten someone's life, you can say what you want. Bashing what they say is doing the exact same thing that they are doing. Educate rather than hate, no matter what they are saying, this goes for homophobes, KKK, and even anti-mutant radicals (tee-hee on the last one) :D

I'm not bashing what he's saying per se, I'm bashing his mindset and his inability to just let people live how they want without him sticking his nose in and telling them they're wrong. Thats not right. He refuses to even acknowledge they have rights too. Thats wrong, sorry.

DIrishB said:
I'm not bashing what he's saying per se, I'm bashing his mindset and his inability to just let people live how they want without him sticking his nose in and telling them they're wrong. Thats not right. He refuses to even acknowledge they have rights too. Thats wrong, sorry.

Nope, it's okay. Don't apologize. It's just that some poepl go over board and say "You can't say that!" and frankly I like to think of myself as a patriotic American, therefore I'm more concerned with the 1st amendment, than people's feelings to a sociopaths comments.

Hawkeye101 said:
Nope, it's okay. Don't apologize. It's just that some poepl go over board and say "You can't say that!" and frankly I like to think of myself as a patriotic American, therefore I'm more concerned with the 1st amendment, than people's feelings to a sociopaths comments.

I wholeheartedly agree, I just DON'T agree with ignorant people telling other's they're in the wrong becuase they may not agree with their lifestyle choices. Just you wait, I'll be the guy who gets marijuana legalized here in the US. ;)

Lofty aspirations indeed!

DIrishB said:
I wholeheartedly agree, I just DON'T agree with ignorant people telling other's they're in the wrong becuase they may not agree with their lifestyle choices. Just you wait, I'll be the guy who gets marijuana legalized here in the US. ;)

Lofty aspirations indeed!

*Laughs*

Good Luck with that! :D

Aaaand, back to Iron Man please. We had this thread. Twice. It didn't end well either time.

Caduceus said:
Aaaand, back to Iron Man please. We had this thread. Twice. It didn't end well either time.

Um, yeah Iron Man, Rhodey is the exact same as the 616 version. He's pupmed full of the 'I'm Black and that means sumthin' attitude. Puh-lease. Nobody cares that you're black. Go to an anger manegement class.

I have to say I'm loving the Ultimate Iron Man books. And I love Orson Scott Card's other books as well (I've read a good deal of them). And I go to a church where they marry homosexuals (or at least as close as we can marry them, seeing as how they don't have the right to get married in this state yet).

[Rant]Now, I understand disagreeing with someone's opinions, but if you think about it, an opinion is a part of your lifestyle as is write, if you're an author. In fact, I'd have to say that as an author, sharing your opinion is your lifestyle. And so, saying OSC is wrong for sharing his opinion that being homosexual is wrong is sorta hypocritical, in my humble opinion. But, as a freedom loving American, I'd be willing to fight off any invader that tried to take away your right to say it, or OSC's right to disagree with homosexulality. The man was raiser Mormon, he's had this idea of a "family" forced on him for years and years and years. And in the article everyone says that he says he doesn't like homosexuls, really all he's saying is that he doesn't like the idea of homosexual families because he feels that it weakens the concept of family (of course, I disagree, knowing a few homosexual families myself) but its his right as an American to say it and belive if, and I, for one, am not going to fault him for it.[/Rant]

Anyway, my real reason for posting is to say that I like the Ultimate Iron Man mini, and I like the human-brain idea a lot. Yeah it sucks that it takes a while for one of the books to come out, but I wont say it was bad planning on OSC's part, he didn't know he was going to get to do two mini's, so of course he had to re-write stuff. I'd rather wait a little extra for the books and have the two minis flow, rather than him having writen one mini and left it set up for a second that never came.

I'm seeing three gay adds and one advertising comics...

Spade said:
we still dont know how this whole human brain thing will play out were only at issue 3 at least give it till the first mini is done

Normally that's what I might say, but this is beyond fixing.

[Rant]What exactly is so unbelivable about Tony's brain being spread throughout his body. I mean, lets look at the other Ultimates: Jan, a Mutant who can change her body's size to that of a wasp and grow wings and fly? Where does her body mass go (according to the laws of physics, mass cannot be created or destroied, and if that's the case, she must weigh as much as she does before she shrinks, so why not just grow the wings out of her back and fly around?). Thor, either a full blown God, or a loon with a hammer than can teleport objects to other diminsions, allows him to fly (or maybe that's the suit) and lets him call down lightning upon his enimies. Banner, a scientist trying to develop a wonder-drug turns himself into a near-mindless raging monster. Captain America, a scrawny white boy injected with some Super Drug that only works on him, makes him stronger, faster, smarted, and all around better than every soldier in the US army from WWII on. Pymn, a man who uses his wife's mutant DNA to allow himself to grow to just shy of 60 ft. Hawkeye, an archer for crying out loud. I mean, he shoots arrows. ARROWS. And he doesn't miss. And Natasha. A former KGB agent who is now trusted by the US governemt with some of their deepest, darkest secrets. I mean, she knows stuff the president doesn't know. Lots of stuff the president doesn't know. So, why is a man who's mother was working on a way for cells to regrow faster, got infected with a mixture of her research and monkey DNA, died because she got some stange form of Cancer (cause really, that what it was) and her unborn child soaks up the "benefits" and so his brain, which more than likely was still developing at that point, has now spread throught his body. I mean, I don't see how that's any more "unbelivable" than any of the rest of the Ultimates. Orson Scott Card is, in my opinion, one of the best Sci-Fi writers of the current day because he spends so much time researching the Sciene of the Sience Fiction he is writing. He was using String Theory in his books before Physics had fully accepted it as possible. He wrote a five book serries the details the return of human kind to an Earth had been made uninhabitable by war. I'm not saying he's the greatest author of all time (although I do like his books a lot) but the man understands Science rather well. And I've never seen, and any of the books of his I've read (at least one of which was writen during the time he wrote his homosexuality essay) any of his personal views forced on the reader. He had a homosexual as a main character in one of his series. He has won some of the most prestigeous awards a Sci-Fi writer can get. So, before we rule out his story as worthless crap that ruins a good character, lets remember what the UU is for. Its for bringing new readers into the Marvel books without years and years of back story. And I for one like the idea that Tony has a giant, body sized brain and wears his armor because of it better than the "I got shrapnel in me, and a heart condition, so I built this armor to keep me alive" [/Rant]

Damn I'm ranty today. Sorry, I just like this book a lot I guess. Oh, and the monkey doesn't bite her. Its hand gets cut off by the glass, and blood gets in her mouth

Last edited:
Shi_Vral said:
[Rant]What exactly is so unbelivable about Tony's brain being spread throughout his body. I mean, lets look at the other Ultimates:

I've said this before, but I can't see arguing something as being good just because something else is worse. Same principle.

I think the biggest thing is that to me, this is changing the character. He's not a mutant, not a genetic mutation. He's just freakishly smart. That's it. That's all he ALWAYS has been, and that's all he was in Ultimates until Card ruined him. In the 40 or so years Iron Man has existed, it has never been needed to explain why he is so smart. It still doesn't, and especially not with something so stupid as what Card is using.

I said this before and no one who defends the book as "good" has answered yet: what about Reed Richards? Is it not enough that he is just really smart? Or does this need - God forbid - to be explained to?

Shi_Vral said:
Orson Scott Card is, in my opinion, one of the best Sci-Fi writers of the current day because he spends so much time researching the Sciene of the Sience Fiction he is writing.

So what? As Maddox would say, that's like saying a painting is great because you use the best paints.

Shi_Vral said:
So, before we rule out his story as worthless crap that ruins a good character, lets remember what the UU is for. Its for bringing new readers into the Marvel books without years and years of back story.

The backstories aren't the problem with 616 per se, it's the kooky unneeded changes that over time contradict each other. And that's exactly what Card is doing.

Shi_Vral said:
SoAnd I for one like the idea that Tony has a giant, body sized brain and wears his armor because of it better than the "I got shrapnel in me, and a heart condition, so I built this armor to keep me alive"

:sick:

I heartily disagree.

But that's besides the point. Again, you're arguing that it is good because it's "better" than something you think is bad.

Shi_Vral said:
Oh, and the monkey doesn't bite her. Its hand gets cut off by the glass, and blood gets in her mouth

You say that like somehow it's better.

Latest posts

Back