Am I the only person who actually likes Ultimate Iron Man?

Im just gonna go on record to say that I just like the concept. The book itself is ok, but not a very good ok. What I really like is Andy's art.

Shri_Vhal makes a good point. Look at the other Ultimates. They all have their 'out there' abilities. You guys are getting worked up over the fact that something is being explained that wasn't in 616. So what? And who knows maybe Reed's mother was exposed to radiation when she was pregnant with reed, making him freekishly smart. As for continuity, Tony having a mother and siblings, you know it's not too late for his father to re-marry and have more children and his new wife adopts Tony. As for going to school accross the hall from Reed, well, frankly Ultimate Fantastic Four screwed that one up, Not Iron Man. Better yet, Ultimates messed with that time-line. In Ultimates it said that Tony had several docterates by age ELEVEN. So obviously he didn't go to college accross the hall from Reed.

Shi_Vral said:
[Rant]What exactly is so unbelivable about Tony's brain being spread throughout his body. I mean, lets look at the other Ultimates: Jan, a Mutant who can change her body's size to that of a wasp and grow wings and fly? Where does her body mass go (according to the laws of physics, mass cannot be created or destroied, and if that's the case, she must weigh as much as she does before she shrinks, so why not just grow the wings out of her back and fly around?). Thor, either a full blown God, or a loon with a hammer than can teleport objects to other diminsions, allows him to fly (or maybe that's the suit) and lets him call down lightning upon his enimies. Banner, a scientist trying to develop a wonder-drug turns himself into a near-mindless raging monster. Captain America, a scrawny white boy injected with some Super Drug that only works on him, makes him stronger, faster, smarted, and all around better than every soldier in the US army from WWII on. Pymn, a man who uses his wife's mutant DNA to allow himself to grow to just shy of 60 ft. Hawkeye, an archer for crying out loud. I mean, he shoots arrows. ARROWS. And he doesn't miss. And Natasha. A former KGB agent who is now trusted by the US governemt with some of their deepest, darkest secrets. I mean, she knows stuff the president doesn't know. Lots of stuff the president doesn't know. So, why is a man who's mother was working on a way for cells to regrow faster, got infected with a mixture of her research and monkey DNA, died because she got some stange form of Cancer (cause really, that what it was) and her unborn child soaks up the "benefits" and so his brain, which more than likely was still developing at that point, has now spread throught his body. I mean, I don't see how that's any more "unbelivable" than any of the rest of the Ultimates. Orson Scott Card is, in my opinion, one of the best Sci-Fi writers of the current day because he spends so much time researching the Sciene of the Sience Fiction he is writing. He was using String Theory in his books before Physics had fully accepted it as possible. He wrote a five book serries the details the return of human kind to an Earth had been made uninhabitable by war. I'm not saying he's the greatest author of all time (although I do like his books a lot) but the man understands Science rather well. And I've never seen, and any of the books of his I've read (at least one of which was writen during the time he wrote his homosexuality essay) any of his personal views forced on the reader. He had a homosexual as a main character in one of his series. He has won some of the most prestigeous awards a Sci-Fi writer can get. So, before we rule out his story as worthless crap that ruins a good character, lets remember what the UU is for. Its for bringing new readers into the Marvel books without years and years of back story. And I for one like the idea that Tony has a giant, body sized brain and wears his armor because of it better than the "I got shrapnel in me, and a heart condition, so I built this armor to keep me alive" [/Rant]

Damn I'm ranty today. Sorry, I just like this book a lot I guess. Oh, and the monkey doesn't bite her. Its hand gets cut off by the glass, and blood gets in her mouth

*Ignores Post* Ultimate Tony Stark's origin is stupid.

I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right, I'm sharing my opinion. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, its not my place to do that. This book is writen for Entertainment. If it doesn't entertain you, its bad. If it does, its good. That's the whole point of the book. Maybe Tony, being the smart guy he is, didn't want people to know the truth about him, so he made up the history that's been shown so far, and Card's origin is right. Or maybe Marvel just sees another way to capitalize on the Ultimate title, and decided to have another mini writen. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Write Marvel letters. I don't care. As for me, I like it, and so I'm going to keep buying it.

Shi_Vral said:
I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right, I'm sharing my opinion. I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, its not my place to do that. This book is writen for Entertainment. If it doesn't entertain you, its bad. If it does, its good. That's the whole point of the book. Maybe Tony, being the smart guy he is, didn't want people to know the truth about him, so he made up the history that's been shown so far, and Card's origin is right. Or maybe Marvel just sees another way to capitalize on the Ultimate title, and decided to have another mini writen. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Write Marvel letters. I don't care. As for me, I like it, and so I'm going to keep buying it.

I don't mean to be rude. (Though, I've had my fair share of fun on this site) Please don't take too much offense to this but you are wrong. This is by far the worst use of creative freedom that has ever graced the pages of a comic book. And I feel bad for you that you actually sit there and read the content and don't get that same vomiting feeling knowing that Stark is now a freak like everyone else.

And no **** you're gonna keep buying it. It says "Ultimate" doesn't it. We're all buying it. We're all mindless consumers.

But yeah, sorry. I love you man. :twisted:

I agree with E and MWoF. One of the things that make Tony Stark interesting is that he's just a normal guy who happens to be REALLY, REALLY smart. The brain concept isn't too ridiculous compared to other characters, but Tony Stark doesn't need to have his intelligence explained. Could you imagine how pissed people would be if Batman got superpowers? "See, after Bruce's parents were killed he fell in a puddle of radioactive waste, and that's why he's so smart!" Characters like Tony Stark are supposed to represent the best in human achievement, as opposed to a normal guy who gets a leg up on everyone else.

TheManWithoutFear said:
And no **** you're gonna keep buying it. It says "Ultimate" doesn't it. We're all buying it. We're all mindless consumers.

No, you're a ****ing idiot. Slight difference. Nothing personal M, thats how it reads.

The entire appeal of UIM(the character, not the mini) for me was that he was a regular guy who was doing the right thing, well not a regular guy per se, but a normal guy. The rest of the team was a super-soldier, a mutant, a god/mental patient, and a schizophrenic scientist who can grow to 60ft tall. Tony was just a guy in a suit of armour. Remember from the second issue:

Tony Stark said:
I just woke up one morning and thought: what if all the millionaires and industrialists tried to save the world instead of bleeding it dry?

Thats why I stopped reading the book. Then again, I can understand the hatred of the monkey brain. In the sixties they could pull off crazy **** like that because, well, it was the sixties. Radiation was the equivelent of someone shouting "he's got a bomb!" in front of an arabian(no offense meant but its realistic), it was most peoples worst fear. So of course writers capitalised on it! It sold. Like when someone writes another book saying George Bush is an idiot, or a knock-off Da Vinci Code, its going to sell.

Thats the modern version of the radiation craze. In forty years people will be laughing at that too. So in conclusion, if the monkey-brain story had been done in the sixties, it would probably be as legendary as a certain spiders bite. Or not. Nowadays, its a damn monkey-brain.

Disclaimer: I don't have a problem with buying or reading the book due to Cards personal beliefs, I'm on the second book of the Ender saga and think they're great.

So you guys like him as a normal human over a super smart human? Thats it? You just don't want to discuss how he's smart? He should be smart and leave it at that?

That's stupid. I want to know where the character came from. I like origins. Yes, its nice to have a normal character every once and a while, but that was the defenders now, wasn't it?

Plus, I think it is pretty cool that Tony would be smart enough to hide this information from Nick Fury.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I never even took Tony Stark as "supersmart" to begin with I always just thought they were talking about him as a great businessman.
So I guess you missed Fury talking to Captain America about Stark in The Ultimates #10: "You know, I served in Vietnam, South America, Kosovo and Gulf War One, but nothing I saw out there on any tour of duty shakes me up like Tony Stark does, Cap. You ever see a man conduct a multilingual business deal, satisfy a girlfriend over the phone and memorize a six hundred page military briefing all at the same time? I swear to God, that supernatural freak of nature back there was reading those files faster than his hands could turn the pages, man."

Well, that and the fact he designed the Iron Man armor.

TheCell said:
So you guys like him as a normal human over a super smart human? Thats it? You just don't want to discuss how he's smart? He should be smart and leave it at that?

That's stupid. I want to know where the character came from. I like origins. Yes, its nice to have a normal character every once and a while, but that was the defenders now, wasn't it?

Plus, I think it is pretty cool that Tony would be smart enough to hide this information from Nick Fury.
Genetics. They could've simply said that his parents (and his entire family in general) are very smart people. There are little kids who go to college. There doesn't need to be a reason why he's so smart.

And normal characters shouldn't be extreme rarities. We've seen time and time again in the real world that heroes don't have to have any special abilities. Oh, and the Ultimate Defenders are the ****, specifically because they don't have powers. I love 'em.

moonmaster said:
Genetics. They could've simply said that his parents (and his entire family in general) are very smart people. There are little kids who go to college. There doesn't need to be a reason why he's so smart.

And normal characters shouldn't be extreme rarities. We've seen time and time again in the real world that heroes don't have to have any special abilities. Oh, and the Ultimate Defenders are the ****, specifically because they don't have powers. I love 'em.

Seconded.

moonmaster said:
I admit I would have liked that better.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't mean to be rude. (Though, I've had my fair share of fun on this site) Please don't take too much offense to this but you are wrong. This is by far the worst use of creative freedom that has ever graced the pages of a comic book. And I feel bad for you that you actually sit there and read the content and don't get that same vomiting feeling knowing that Stark is now a freak like everyone else.

But yeah, sorry. I love you man. :twisted:

You know MWoF, he's right. It is entertainment. If you think it's stupid idea, doesn't mean everybody has to agree with you. If you don't like it that much don't buy the damn thing. If your a mindless consumer then get *****ing about it up and down. I mean it's all good to share your opinion. But don't tell him he's wrong because it was a stupid idea to you. I don't found the story that bad. If you like the 616 Iron Man better. Than go read his damn title.

Shi_Vral said:
[Rant]Now, I understand disagreeing with someone's opinions, but if you think about it, an opinion is a part of your lifestyle as is write, if you're an author. In fact, I'd have to say that as an author, sharing your opinion is your lifestyle. And so, saying OSC is wrong for sharing his opinion that being homosexual is wrong is sorta hypocritical, in my humble opinion.

People keep misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying its wrong for him to not agree with homosexuality. As you say thats his right. What I'm saying is its wrong (not legally but morally really) for him to tell people they're in the wrong for being homosexual and come up with a bunch of half-assed, cockememie theories about why they are that way. People don't make a choice to be gay, and the way he makes it seem they're all in league with Satan.

But, as a freedom loving American, I'd be willing to fight off any invader that tried to take away your right to say it, or OSC's right to disagree with homosexulality.

What about him being totally against their right to marry? Isn't that infringing on their freedoms and rights? Thats my point. I'm not saying he can't feel like he does, I'm just saying its not fair to allow him his freedom in his feelings but not homosexuals freedom in theirs. That, my friend, is the hypocritical part.

The man was raiser Mormon, he's had this idea of a "family" forced on him for years and years and years. And in the article everyone says that he says he doesn't like homosexuls, really all he's saying is that he doesn't like the idea of homosexual families because he feels that it weakens the concept of family (of course, I disagree, knowing a few homosexual families myself) but its his right as an American to say it and belive if, and I, for one, am not going to fault him for it.[/Rant]

He's saying much more than he doesn't like the idea of homosexuality. Matter of fact, if I could find that link to that little rundown he gave, I'd love to read it again, since its been awhile. I'm not saying he's wrong in his beliefs, I'm saying he's wrong in his attempts not to allow others to follow through with theirs.

Latest posts

Back