Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man #581-582 "Mind on Fire" (Spoilers)

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Okay, so this is the arc I've been waiting for. I'm pretty disappointed that it's only two issues long, but I'm glad they FINALLY are addressing this.

581 wasn't very impressive, a lot of talking and then mark Raxton who is still suffering from the Molten Man stuff goes crazy on Harry. The explanation of what happened to Harry was also pretty guessable, but I'm glad that they got it out there, it needed to be given some attention. Those 90s stories with Harry as the crazy green goblin and oblivious Liz and messed up Normie waiting to grow up into an other Green Goblin are some of my favourites, so i liked the issue just b/c it shows that those aren't forgotten (just Pete and MJ weren't married when it happened...)

i also liked Spider-Girl for the same reason...seeing Normie fight Spider-Man's daughter was freakin' sweet!

Re: Amaing Spider-Man #581-582 "Mind on Fire" (Spoilers)

well...8 and 2 are...close together on the keyboard...and I'm Canadian
:-|

Isn't it obvious, this arc is actually -59 issue's long, thus taking us back to even before The Other!

HOORAY! JOE FIXED IT!

why not? "One More Day" was -252 issues long (started in ASM #544 and retconned everything since ASM #292 - when MJ accepts Peter's marriage proposal)

you know what they should have done?

Have Kang replace Mephisto in OMD, and have him de-age peter to 16 so he can't legally be married to MJ

why not? "One More Day" was -252 issues long (started in ASM #544 and retconned everything since ASM #292 - when MJ accepts Peter's marriage proposal)
Actually I recalled BND mentioning the marriage saying she did accept but something went astray and it's Peter's fault
It didn't recon everything. Just the marriage.

And Harry Osborn, you know that one major character who died and was a huge motivating factor for the title character as well as several supporting characters.

it retconned the marriage in every story since then, therefore retconning everything.

'retcon' doesn't mean erase, it means to retroactively change the the established continuity. Hence retcon

ASM #292 was the watershed issue where they got engaged and they were married in #293 (ASM Annual #21 - in which the wedding takes place - chronologically comes between the two issues...actually it goes ASM #292, ASM Annual #21, WoS #31, ASM #293: WoS #31 being the first issue of Kraven's Last Hunt). So unless Random is correct and MJ did originally accept the proposal and then Peter screwed it up afterwards, every story since ASM #292 has been retconned.

If Random is correct, then every story since ASM Annual #21 has been retconned.

Last edited:
So from the first part, it's revealed that:

• Harry Osborn still died. The reason for how he came back was the same as Norman. The Globin serum. It's said that Norman had paid Mysterio to create a duplicate of Harry to make it look like it was him who was buried and all. The whole "death by drugs" thing was a cover up. In actuality, the real Harry was tucked away to Europe secretly, sent to lots of shrinks. He was made to think that him as the Green Goblin was a hallucination by the drugs.

• Also, Aunt May's house did still burn to the ground. Thanks to Harry, he paid for a new house to be built for her and Pete. What happened in between the burned down house and the new one being built was not said. So no clue as to where they lived in between.

Now, I never knew Harry Osborn had a son, though I find it cool. I did find Liz Allen to be kind of a ***** to Harry (but I see where she comes from). A very good issue over all*, except I just can't stand Liz' 'O-face' at the end when Mark Raxton (Molten Man) breaks out of his room and says he'll kill Harry. She looks so damn weird.

*Dan Slott. Booyah. 8)

Now, I never knew Harry Osborn had a son, though I find it cool.

you should go back and read some of the 90s Harry Green Goblin stuff
Spectacular Spider-Man (vol 1) #178-184, 189, 190, 199, 200 have the important stuff. There are probably threads of the story in the issues that come in between, but i think these are the significant issues.

you should go back and read some of the 90s Harry Green Goblin stuff
Spectacular Spider-Man (vol 1) #178-184, 189, 190, 199, 200 have the important stuff. There are probably threads of the story in the issues that come in between, but i think these are the significant issues.

#200 was actually a really good issue, especially considering the level of **** that was being produced at the time, particularly on the Spider-Man books.

Wow I haven't read the issue yet, but it sounds like they basically just neutered when of the more monumental death's in Marvel History.

It's not something that hasn't happened before but it's kinda aggravating.

I wonder if Harry met Gabriel and Sarah over in Europe (they were born in France after all)

#200 was actually a really good issue, especially considering the level of **** that was being produced at the time, particularly on the Spider-Man books.

#178-184 was also really good. The arc is called "The Child Within" ANd it deals with Peter Parker, Vermin (Edward whatever his last name is) and Harry Osborn all dealing with trauma from their childhood. And it shows how they all deal with it differently. It's really well done.

Because of these ****ing weird threads I can't find a general discussion thread or one of these silly arc-specific threads (which seems really dumb for Spider-Man because it seems like every few issues it's a new arc) but this is ridiculous. I hate it when they do things like this. It's like they're pandering for some weird political audience or something and the stories are always crappy and silly.

Steve Wacker said:
If any other public figures want to come out as Spider-Man fans, I will put them on the cover of my comic.

YUCK!

Last edited:
Because of these ****ing weird threads I can't find a general discussion thread or one of these silly arc-specific threads (which seems really dumb for Spider-Man because it seems like every few issues it's a new arc) but this is ridiculous. I hate it when they do things like this. It's like they're pandering for some weird political audience or something and the stories are always crappy and silly.

YUCK!

I half agree, I think it's okay to feature someone who you respect and who respects the character, it does almost always turn out crappy, specially when you center the issue around him

Latest posts

Back