Re: JMS & Quesada give Spider-Man "One More Day".

I'm glad this was done.

As a longtime reader of Spidey, I always hated the marriage between him and MJ. I always hated the fact he got out of high school as well, and I wish they retcon that mistake next.

Anyways, back on the marriage. It served no purpose other than further developing Peter's character and showing how a character grows. Then, add in the temptations of Black Cat, and you have an interesting dynamic. I hate interesting dynamics, for serious. They should have ignored this marriage in the first place, in fact, they should go a step farther of killing MJ.

In a side note, I'm listening to the Dropkick Murphies, and I seriously hope they stop singing, and instead, just play music.

Back to the awesomeness of One More Day. I'm glad they added the devil in this story, cause seriously, the devil is one villian I wanted to see for a very long time in Spidey world. He belongs in it. I love SPidey stories that are immersed in magic, and it was about time the devil was included in these. Great stuff.

The fact that Aunt May is still alive, another great thing. I mean, thi old bat has died ten times now, who really wants to see her dead again. I don't. I'm glad she wasn't killed, because the Peter/Aunt May dynamic is such a refreshing thing to have in the Spidey world, because we haven't gotten enough of it.

I really hope they find a way to de-age Spidey so he's back in high school, cause I seriously hate the way they aged in the first place, with the passing of years and all that. And I want the Stacey twins back, they were cool.

One More Day?

I want to read it Several More Times!

4309750289475081376.2985760928746089724/10

For realz.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I - ugh. This whole thing is just stupid.

Shock twist! Spidey unmasks! Spidey gets organic webshooters!

Shock twist! No he didn't!

Shock twist! Captain America dies!

Shock twist! There's a new Cap!

Shock twist! I'm bored of this nonsense!

That said - I think the way in which they retcon - the choice between May and MJ - is fundamentally very good. So I'm with them on the execution I suppose.

That said - I think the way in which they retcon - the choice between May and MJ - is fundamentally very good. So I'm with them on the execution I suppose.

Wait he had choice out of may and MJ and chose May?

What is he gay now?

You realise that May is a woman?

In her seventies?

And his aunt?

You realise that May is a woman?

In her seventies?

And his aunt?

yes but come on. May doesn't have long left anyway before dying of natural causes , MJ is hot , younger and will to sleep with him. The decision is easy.

:lol: :lol:

I'm glad this was done.

As a longtime reader of Spidey, I always hated the marriage between him and MJ. I always hated the fact he got out of high school as well, and I wish they retcon that mistake next.

Anyways, back on the marriage. It served no purpose other than further developing Peter's character and showing how a character grows. Then, add in the temptations of Black Cat, and you have an interesting dynamic. I hate interesting dynamics, for serious. They should have ignored this marriage in the first place, in fact, they should go a step farther of killing MJ.

In a side note, I'm listening to the Dropkick Murphies, and I seriously hope they stop singing, and instead, just play music.

Back to the awesomeness of One More Day. I'm glad they added the devil in this story, cause seriously, the devil is one villian I wanted to see for a very long time in Spidey world. He belongs in it. I love SPidey stories that are immersed in magic, and it was about time the devil was included in these. Great stuff.

The fact that Aunt May is still alive, another great thing. I mean, thi old bat has died ten times now, who really wants to see her dead again. I don't. I'm glad she wasn't killed, because the Peter/Aunt May dynamic is such a refreshing thing to have in the Spidey world, because we haven't gotten enough of it.

I really hope they find a way to de-age Spidey so he's back in high school, cause I seriously hate the way they aged in the first place, with the passing of years and all that. And I want the Stacey twins back, they were cool.

One More Day?

I want to read it Several More Times!

4309750289475081376.2985760928746089724/10

For realz.

Spider-Man: One More Day? Make it Spider-Man: Ten Thousand More Days please!

Be my lover, Houde.

I knew this would happen from the second I heard the name One More Day. I swear to god I predicted everything about this story right down to Joey Q getting rid of the marriage he hates so much.

Joe Q is an awful EiC. He's made his opinion about the marriage very clear for a long time. He hates it. He thinks it was a bad move and he'd like to undo it. He even went so far as to draw this mini himself, no doubt an attempt on his part to permanently stamp this change with his own name. He clearly thinks that in the end he will be proven right. Unfortunately he hasn't listened to the fans who've been railing against this move on messageboards like this one for years. He didn't listen to the writer who asked to have his name removed from this story. He didn't pay any heed to the massively popular movies that hinged entirely on Peter's relationship with MJ. Lord only knows how many people in the Marvel offices have told him this is a bad idea, but he plowed ahead with it anyway. Because he is a terrible EiC. If this doesn't cost Joe his job nothing will and that is a damn shame for Marvel and all the characters he will no doubt screw up after getting away with this.

whats an EiC?

I don't see how a new Cap is a "shock twist" but that's another topic.

I knew this would happen from the second I heard the name One More Day. I swear to god I predicted everything about this story right down to Joey Q getting rid of the marriage he hates so much.

Joe Q is an awful EiC. He's made his opinion about the marriage very clear for a long time. He hates it. He thinks it was a bad move and he'd like to undo it. He even went so far as to draw this mini himself, no doubt an attempt on his part to permanently stamp this change with his own name. He clearly thinks that in the end he will be proven right. Unfortunately he hasn't listened to the fans who've been railing against this move on messageboards like this one for years. He didn't listen to the writer who asked to have his name removed from this story. He didn't pay any heed to the massively popular movies that hinged entirely on Peter's relationship with MJ. Lord only knows how many people in the Marvel offices have told him this is a bad idea, but he plowed ahead with it anyway. Because he is a terrible EiC. If this doesn't cost Joe his job nothing will and that is a damn shame for Marvel and all the characters he will no doubt screw up after getting away with this.

I don't think he's terrible at all, and if he doesn't like the marriage and feels it's hurting the franchise, good for him. For all we knows there are writers who want to do Spidey, Joe Q has offered Spidey too, and they've said, "Nah. Not if he's married."

I'm fine with that. I'm more annoyed at the immediate retcon of the unmasking which was something that was stupid - but part of me is going, "Well - at least they've got the balls to fix the mistakes". Good for him trying.

What I find odd is just how hard he's trying!

Seriously - why go to all this trouble of Mephisto and May and the unmasking when... y'know - he coulda just had them get a divorce. Oh, but then it "ages" him too much - his years-dead ex-girlfriend had children. He's a teacher. Here's how to instantly age a character in the eyes of a child: Make him a married teacher with kids.

Spidey hit all three. Divorce him and then have Mephisto show up and youth him and everyone else. A guy like Mephisto can show up if you have to do something so drastic as youthenise him (heh - read that aloud for funnyness), but **** - Judge Judy is all you need to break up MJ and Spidey.

But - I give him props. You may disagree with the decision - and a lot of people do - but Joe Q properly did this with a huge amount of effort. He unmasked Spidey, turned his life inside out, had May shot, and he drew the comic himself. Mistake or no - that's a lot of dedication and personal work. I'm really impressed with Joe Q right now - even if I don't think ONE MORE DAY is any good.

I don't see how a new Cap is a "shock twist" but that's another topic.

Cap dies. Then there's another Cap. In a year everything will be the same except for the occasional, "I wish I was as good as Steve." "He'd be proud." scenes from the 'new' Cap.

I don't see how killing Steve Rogers has done anything for the character - but then, I'm not reading it so it's very possible I'm talking absolute nonsense. I'm willing to accept that if true.

He didn't want to divorce him because he felt that would damage the character, and on that point, I agree with him. A divorce would be idiotic no matter how it would be written.

Cap dies. Then there's another Cap. In a year everything will be the same except for the occasional, "I wish I was as good as Steve." "He'd be proud." scenes from the 'new' Cap.

I don't see how killing Steve Rogers has done anything for the character - but then, I'm not reading it so it's very possible I'm talking absolute nonsense. I'm willing to accept that if true.
Huh? I don't see what that has to do with a new cap being "shocking." :?

I don't think he's terrible at all, and if he doesn't like the marriage and feels it's hurting the franchise, good for him. For all we knows there are writers who want to do Spidey, Joe Q has offered Spidey too, and they've said, "Nah. Not if he's married."
And for all we know there are writers right now that are saying, "Woah. You just retconned 20 years of stories? I'm not touching that mess with a 10 foot pole."

Baseless speculation is fun, but it's a two way street.
I'm fine with that. I'm more annoyed at the immediate retcon of the unmasking which was something that was stupid - but part of me is going, "Well - at least they've got the balls to fix the mistakes". Good for him trying.
It never should have been done in the first place. Which brings me back to my 'He sucks at his job' argument. If he had just told Millar "No. You can't unmask Spider-Man for shock value because we're just going to have to retcon it in the very near future." then it wouldn't be a problem now.
What I find odd is just how hard he's trying!

Seriously - why go to all this trouble of Mephisto and May and the unmasking when... y'know - he coulda just had them get a divorce. Oh, but then it "ages" him too much - his years-dead ex-girlfriend had children. He's a teacher. Here's how to instantly age a character in the eyes of a child: Make him a married teacher with kids.

Spidey hit all three. Divorce him and then have Mephisto show up and youth him and everyone else. A guy like Mephisto can show up if you have to do something so drastic as youthenise him (heh - read that aloud for funnyness), but **** - Judge Judy is all you need to break up MJ and Spidey.
I've been saying since the beginning that they should just get divorced. Is it that hard to believe that the massive stress that a double life as Spider-man might put on a marriage might cause a divorce. How many marriages end because of regular pedestrian problems? Would it be that much of a stretch to think MJ and Peter might develop a few marital problems with him being hunted by the government for switching sides during the Civil War, May getting shot by the Kingpin, or any of the other crap that she'd constantly be forced to deal with? Grow some balls and send them to divorce court. Don't retcon 20 years of stories. And certainly don't do it as poorly as they've gone about it here. This retcon is Joe Q's baby and it sucks. That falls on him.
But - I give him props. You may disagree with the decision - and a lot of people do - but Joe Q properly did this with a huge amount of effort. He unmasked Spidey, turned his life inside out, had May shot, and he drew the comic himself. Mistake or no - that's a lot of dedication and personal work. I'm really impressed with Joe Q right now - even if I don't think ONE MORE DAY is any good.
So if you spend a lot of time doing something that makes you good at it? He may have put a lot of effort into this, but if the final product is crap than I don't see how that makes him a good editor.

Hard working? Sure. Good? Clearly not.

And for all we know there are writers right now that are saying, "Woah. You just retconned 20 years of stories? I'm not touching that mess with a 10 foot pole."

It never should have been done in the first place. Which brings me back to my 'He sucks at his job' argument. If he had just told Millar "No. You can't unmask Spider-Man for shock value because we're just going to have to retcon it in the very near future." then it wouldn't be a problem now.
I've been saying since the beginning that they should just get divorced. Is it that hard to believe that the massive stress that a double life as Spider-man might put on a marriage might cause a divorce. How many marriages end because of regular pedestrian problems? Would it be that much of a stretch to think MJ and Peter might develop a few marital problems with him being hunted by the government for switching sides during the Civil War, May getting shot by the Kingpin, or any of the other crap that she'd constantly be forced to deal with? Grow some balls and send them to divorce court. Don't retcon 20 years of stories. And certainly don't do it as poorly as they've gone about it here. This retcon is Joe Q's baby and it sucks. That falls on him.

So if you spend a lot of time doing something that makes you good at it? He may have put a lot of effort into this, but if the final product is crap than I don't see how that makes him a good editor.

Fair points.

Thing is while i disagree with OMD.... JQ has made good decisions too look at A:C,Iron Fist, NA, etc.

Has he made mistakes? sure but to err is human....no one is perfect.

I perfer JQ over Dan'' Kill em all" Didio

Well, that happened.

I gotta say, I'm with Bass here, I liked the execution. It was well done, even poignant. But completely unnecessary.

How did Harry die originally, by the way?

Latest posts

Back