Re: Amazing Spider-Man series discussion (spoilers)

Finished reading the rest of JQ pt III.

I'm 100% on Joe Q's side on this matter. If he had done this in 2001 it would've been loved like Morrison's NEW X-MEN or the ULTIMATE line.

This has completely revitalized my faith in Marvel.

Not so much the quality of the mini - but the decision-making behind it on WHY retcon his marriage at all. Hands down, great decision-making.

Last edited:

I find it hilarious (and hypocritical?) that they didn't want to retcon the last 20 years or Spider-Man, but they let Peter David retcon the entire run of Bruce Jones into nothing but a dream of Hulk's, making his (Bruce Jones) whole work worthless.

Way to go, Joe!

Last edited:

You know something, I love the fact that this site has people on both sides of this matter, as well as people in the middle.

That's why this site is so good, we have people with varying opinions, yet we all treat each other with respect on those opinions. No one is really giving the others a hard time about it that I can see anyways.

No. The ending was, "Okay, we dissolve the marriage without having to have them be divorced. Mephisto magics it so we get classic Spidey back."

JMS then wrote, "The last 20 years never happened."

Marvel said, "We can't do that, can you try to write what we originally agreed upon, please?"

JMS said, "I think this is the better story."

Marvel; "Seriously - this will mess up all the Spidey titles we've got ready to go. It causes an enormous amount of problems."

JMS; "Okay. I'll do what I can."

That's it. No big controversy or "WRITE WHAT WE TELL YOU STRACYZNKASZORGI!"

As for Joe Q - I agree with him on the crappiness of Spidey's marriage and to be honest, in a year or two, I think most people will go, "Spidey is better NOW than he was THEN".

I really think this is one of those, "It sucks a bit now, but it truly will be worth it later" things.

STILL don't get why having him get divorced didn't work.

Finished reading the rest of JQ pt III.

I'm 100% on Joe Q's side on this matter. If he had done this in 2001 it would've been loved like Morrison's NEW X-MEN or the ULTIMATE line.

This has completely revitalized my faith in Marvel.

Not so much the quality of the mini - but the decision-making behind it on WHY retcon his marriage at all. Hands down, great decision-making.

I don't see why the marriage affected the way the writers would write him.

You know why I think people with like him better in the next year or two. Because they have new blood. JMS has wrote Spider-Man for years.

Years.

Now he get some people with brand new original ideas. No Civil War tie-ins. No random suit changing every story. No random shock twist. No giant crossovers.

We get new writers, new artists, one title, and totally original creative freedom.

It has nothing to do with the marriage.

and this was News-A-Rame review of their interview.

"So what does Mephisto do?" I ask.

"He makes everybody forget Peter's Spider-Man."

"Uh, huh. So Aunt May's still in the hospital --"

"No, he saves Aunt May."

"But if all he does is save her life and make everybody forget he's Spidey, she still has a scar on her midsection."

"No, he makes that go away too."

"Okay...:

"Then he wakes up in her house."

"The house that was burned down?"

"Right."

"But how --"

"Mephisto undoes that as well."

"Okay. And the guys who shot at Peter and May and were killed, they're alive too? Mephisto can bring guys back from the dead?"

"It's all part of the spell."

"And Doc Strange can't tell?"

"No,"

"And the newspaper articles? News footage?"

"Joe, it's been forgotten."

"I'm just asking is that stuff there or not there?"

"Not there. And Peter's web shooters are back."

"Is this the same spell or a different spell?"

"Same spell."

"How does making people forget he's Spidey bring back his web shooters?"

"It's magic, okay?"

"I see. And Harry's back."

"Right."

"And Mephisto does this too."

"Yep."

"So is Harry back from the dead, or has he been alive? If they ask him, hey Harry, what did you do last summer, will he remember? And the year before? And the year before? If he says they all went on a picnic two years ago, will they remember it?"

"It's --"

"Because if he now has a life he remembers, if he's not back from the dead, then you've changed the continuity you said you didn't want to change. Those are your only options: he was brought back from the dead, and there's a grave, and people remember him dying --"

"Mephisto changes THEIR memories too."

"-- or he's effectively been alive as far as our characters know, so he's been alive all along, so either way as far as our characters are concerned, continuity's been violated going back to 1971.

How do you explain that?"

"It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

Last edited:

You know why I think people with like him better in the next year or two. Because they have new blood. JMS has wrote Spider-Man for years.

Years.

Now he get some people with brand new original ideas. No Civil War tie-ins. No random suit changing every story. No random shock twist. No giant crossovers.

We get new writers, new artist, one title, and totally original creative freedom.
With this, I agree.

Last edited:

I don't see why the marriage affected the way the writers would write him.

We get new writers, new artists, one title, and totally original creative freedom.

It has nothing to do with the marriage.

That's exactly what I think, Spider-man stories weren't handycapped by the marriage, but of all the meaningly crap they keep forcing in.And I be you they'll continue to make the same damn mistakes after this

Part four

It includes this gem of a line.

The little girl was again a peek at what Spider-Man books would have been like if we allowed him to continue along the path of growing as if he were a real person.

Last edited:

You know something, I love the fact that this site has people on both sides of this matter, as well as people in the middle.

That's why this site is so good, we have people with varying opinions, yet we all treat each other with respect on those opinions. No one is really giving the others a hard time about it that I can see anyways.

It's why we have a super secret mods-only forum.

I find it hilarious (and hypocritical?) that they didn't want to retcon the last 20 years or Spider-Man, but they let Peter David retcon the entire run of Bruce Jones into nothing but a dream of Hulk's, making his (Bruce Jones) whole work worthless.

Way to go, Joe!

REALLY?!!? How the **** did they do that? I want an issue number to download to see thiat!

okay i read the issue

and without all the ramifications that this story is going to have, i have to say this was a masterfully done issue, the dialogue and emotional feel were great, and Quesada's art was the best i've ever seen from him, especially the ending.

with the ramifications though, IMHO this is a travesty, and unless ASM is taking place in it's own little pocket-universe ala HoM this could very well be the biggest disaster I've seen in comics. I mean so much unnecesary stuff is being undone i mean why is Harry back? is he only back so they can turn him into Menace which he so obviously is? what's the point of undestroying Peter's House? bringing back the Webshooters? why re-mask Peter? Brand New Day just has to be a closed end deal it just has to because what this does to the entire Marvel Universe is just to huge to not explain properly. While I do not like how it got here I have to say the creative teams and promise of decent stories that BND seems to present has me excited, i just wish that it didn't have to come to this.

oh and am i the only person who hopes that they don't do these three issue rotations going on for very long? this book could end up suffering exactly how Wolverine has been, a book like this (especially with this brand new direction) needs an ongoing writer, this is the major flaw i see with this thrice-monthly system that's going to be coming up.

so I'm set on wait and see for now, this could end up being great if handled well, but if this collapse's this could be the biggest mistake since offering Reginald Hudlin a writing job

It's why we have a super secret mods-only forum.

REALLY?!!? How the **** did they do that? I want an issue number to download to see thiat!

I don't remember the numbering, but I know the arc was called "Tempist Fugit."

bnd01.jpg

there is so much wrong with this image, Parker Luck? 4th wall breaking narration? didn't Loeb's arc on Wolverine prove that it doesn't work?

One of the core principles of Spider-Man is that there most certainly is no such thing as "Parker Luck".

Ugh.

there is so much wrong with this image, Parker Luck? 4th wall breaking narration? didn't Loeb's arc on Wolverine prove that it doesn't work?

I like 4th wall breaking narration

One of the core principles of Spider-Man is that there most certainly is no such thing as "Parker Luck".

Ugh.

:lol: Agreed

Latest posts

Back