Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Re: Astonishing X-Men - series discussion (spoilers)

So my shop got Astonishing X-Men #19 (The variant) and never put it in my folder. The guy at the shop knew he was supposed to. But I got it today. Very good issue.

The scene with Colossus making the joke was the best part.

Picked up Vol. 3 "Torn". As good as that story is (Whedon's best so far and one of the best X-men stories I've ever read) it reads even better collected.

The only thing I didn't understand is what Cassandra Nova had to wait for before she could reclaim her body (or mind?). She told Emma she had to wait, but I didn't get what for.

I don't get why that thing was in storage anyway since it/Nova was Ernest through the whole new X-Men run.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #21 JAN072400 05/02/07

ASTONISHING X-MEN #22 FEB072155 07/04/07
WHY?!?!?!?!

:arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh:​

I don't get why that thing was in storage anyway since it/Nova was Ernest through the whole new X-Men run.

That....is a good question.

Now I'm confused.

WHY?!?!?!?!

:arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh:​

Hopefully because of Planetary.

WHY?!?!?!?!

That is the most insane delay I've heard of. It reeks of Ultimates, which also makes me think Millar is going to take over.

HOLY ****!

I thought that was delayed until February and April, and then I remembered that the American date system is the other way... I'm going to cry.

I guess this gives Mitch Hillar more lead time.

That is the most insane delay I've heard of. It reeks of Ultimates, which also makes me think Millar is going to take over.

No, it's not as bad, at least of it's true that Cassaday is working on the final issue of Planetary.

Anyone able to get out their house and get the issue today? I won't get it until Saturday, but that's because of money issues.

I do also wonder about what will happen to the creative team after issue #24. Whedon's no longer with Wonder Woman, so could he write this and Runaways? As for Cassday, I think Cassaday would want to move on, and I would like to see him try something else. So I'd vote on Steve McNiven doing AXM since he wont be doing UXM anytime soon.

Last edited:

No, it's not as bad, at least of it's true that Cassaday is working on the final issue of Planetary.

Or he was working on this

CIVIL WAR: FALLEN SON – IRON MAN
Written by JEPH LOEB
Pencils and Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
Alternate Cover by MICHAEL TURNER
Can the Marvel Universe accept the death of a true hero? In the wake of a tragedy, we've visited the top heroes of the Marvel Universe, and now it all comes down this. The rockstar team of Jeph Loeb and John Cassaday (ASTONISHING X-MEN) bring it all home in the story that will have True Believers debating – and maybe even shedding a tear.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
NOTE: Not actual title

What you guys think of 20? The best part was Logan's speech to the new girl. I like her. I have a feeling she's going to die.

Last edited:

Yeah, I've got to agree, that was some great Loganeering. Though he's often on the sidelines, and it's pretty standard Wolverine shtick, I can't help but get the feeling that Whedon's writing a better Wolverine than anybody else right now.

Yeah, I've got to agree, that was some great Loganeering. Though he's often on the sidelines, and it's pretty standard Wolverine shtick, I can't help but get the feeling that Whedon's writing a better Wolverine than anybody else right now.

Yeah. He only uses him when it's an absolute necessary too. And he uses every other character perfectly.

What you guys think of 20?

Awesome. The image carved in rock was cool.

I hope the girl isn't the one who dies...it would be EXTREMELY anticlimactic. I was hoping it would be Lockheed.

The tea party scene was good.

Awesome. The image carved in rock was cool.

I hope the girl isn't the one who dies...it would be EXTREMELY anticlimactic. I was hoping it would be Lockheed.
Why Lockheed? He's awesome. How many other characters do you see written who don't speak, but yet are still given personality?

The scene carved in the rock plus the quote of nothing being written in stone made it all the more awesome.
Yeah. He only uses him when it's an absolute necessary too. And he uses every other character perfectly.
It's true. He's the only one who doesn't write Wolverine as a stone cold killer, yet still be bad ***.

I think Astonishing is a good book, but I've never raved over it like the others do.

This issue was EXCELLENT.

I loved every piece of dialogue. This is some of the best dialogue in comics. Whedon is a master.

Too bad Cassaday's art was quite poor. It seemed a bit off in the first few pages, got better, and then he drew some manga-ish faces at the end. Dumb.

I think Astonishing is a good book, but I've never raved over it like the others do.

This issue was EXCELLENT.

I loved every piece of dialogue. This is some of the best dialogue in comics. Whedon is a master.

Too bad Cassaday's art was quite poor. It seemed a bit off in the first few pages, got better, and then he drew some manga-ish faces at the end. Dumb.

As much as I like Cassaday, he has seemed off and on the last few issues. There were some shots of Scott in the Torn arc that were off.

Granted it's not "Bagley" off, but still.

See, it's as I told you all. Last NJF, Quesada has admitted that AXM has been delayed due to Cassaday doing the Iron Man Fallen Son issue. At least we won't hear an excuse as to why AXM was late or anything.

#21 was feckin' brilliant.

Scott and Emma's convo in the jet during the dogfight/chase was brilliant indeed.

Kudos to Whedon for the tauntaun reference.

And regardless of how tired we all are from long day of kicking an alien species' asses.......wouldn't we all find an extra bit of energy if we wad Kitty standing in front of us like that?

#21 was feckin' brilliant.
Agreed. My only quam is that every issue I think next issue is going to be great because I'm sure they're going to reveal so many things, and then nothing gets revealed in the next issue. Still, even though I was expecting some revealations, it was very solid story telling. Definitely Whedon at his best.

Latest posts

Back