Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Okay, I thought I remembered you specifically saying you liked the X-Men as a metaphor for intolerance and prejudice and when it was more grounded in reality, and that you hated whenever it became more sci-fi with the shi'ar, and sentinels, etc.

But either way, I agree that Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was fantastic.

Okay, I thought I remembered you specifically saying you liked the X-Men as a metaphor for intolerance and prejudice and when it was more grounded in reality, and that you hated whenever it became more sci-fi with the shi'ar, and sentinels, etc.

But either way, I agree that Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men was fantastic.

Metaphor for intolerance and prejudice (and racism) - yes.

I don't think I said I didn't like the sci-fi aspects. I said I hate the soap opera aspects. Where everyone is related and their fathers are space pirates and all that crap.

I also did say I hate the Sentinels, but because they are an idiotic idea. Government-created giant flying robots that can scan a person's DNA or whatever...it's an offensively stupid idea.

I don't mind sci-fi stuff at all. I don't think of Whedon's run as exceptionally sic-fi, though. Maybe it's just me...it seems exceptionally character-driven. Maybe more so than any other comic I've ever read. The personalities of the characters are amazingly strong and clear. This series could be a case study for aspiring writers in that regard.

Metaphor for intolerance and prejudice (and racism) - yes.

I don't think I said I didn't like the sci-fi aspects. I said I hate the soap opera aspects. Where everyone is related and their fathers are space pirates and all that crap.

I also did say I hate the Sentinels, but because they are an idiotic idea. Government-created giant flying robots that can scan a person's DNA or whatever...it's an offensively stupid idea.

Okay, maybe you said you didn't like the soap-opera feel of Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny AND you said you didn't like how unrealistic the sentinels are and I Put the two together b/c basically Claremont's entire run is a giant space opera minus a few parts. But whatever, I misunderstood.

I don't mind sci-fi stuff at all. I don't think of Whedon's run as exceptionally sic-fi, though. Maybe it's just me...it seems exceptionally character-driven. Maybe more so than any other comic I've ever read. The personalities of the characters are amazingly strong and clear. This series could be a case study for aspiring writers in that regard.

It was extremely character driven and it was amazingly done. But there was that whole thing about a planet of warmongering aliens firing a giant bullet at Earth too.

Anyway, I understand and agree with what you're saying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back