Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

It kind of makes sense that it's her, because she's been the focal point of the entire series so far. Scott had another instance of major character development - he's been the other main focus of the series...I can't see him dying.

But I would expect that a 10 mile long bullet would destroy Earth, so I don't see Kitty dying because Earth of course will not be destroyed. So maybe someone sacrifices themselves to stop the bullet. Peter? Is he known to, say, jump long distances like Hulk? I don't think anyone else is strong enough to stop it (in other words, no Fastball Special) and there are no controls or anything to stop it (which rules out Beast or Kitty if she were to wake up).

I wouldn't consider Colossus a leaper. But we've already seen Pete use Kitty in a Fastball special. What's to stop him from using someone strong and able to survive outer space like Emma? Who just happens to need retribution lately.

I bet they shoot Colossus out of the same cannon...

This cannon?
bko0310.jpg

Could kitty make the bullet go intangible?

Good question. I don't know enough about how her powers work to know if this is possible.

Obviously she can touch something and make it intangible but is a 10 mile long bullet too big....?

She needs to hold her breath when she goes intangible.

So it's a matter of holding her breath long enough for the bullet to pass through the earth.

The problem is how she is going to get out of it.

She needs to hold her breath when she goes intangible.

So it's a matter of holding her breath long enough for the bullet to pass through the earth.

The problem is how she is going to get out of it.

She can make things intangible and then let go of them inside things, so there wouldn't be too much trouble leaving the bullet in the earth.

Can she swim when she's intangible?

I'm also not up to date with this cuz I want to read it all at once, I just happened to pick up on "bullet going towards earth", but isn't collosus supposed to be the world breaker, or did that already happen?

Maybe if the bullet is intangible it passes straight thrgouh the earth slingslots round the sun back to the alien world that gets destroyed.

Let's face it, we are discussing physics that obviously Whedon won't spend this much time wondering about.

But it still is based on how long she can hold her breath.

When things go intangible are they weightless too? I'd think the gravity would slow it down a little.

:?

If anything Gravity will increase it. When it's intangible there's no friction to stop it. and when you make it tangible again it's still has the same force, unless it's not complete intangibility but partial in which case it would slow down, but a 10 mile long bullet would take alot more than the diameter of earth to slow it down safely enough to stop. Cause if it doesn't slow down and you suddenly make it tangible all the force with still act on Earth just from the inside and who knows how much that would **** up.

:?

If anything Gravity will increase it. When it's intangible there's no friction to stop it. and when you make it tangible again it's still has the same force, unless it's not complete intangibility but partial in which case it would slow down, but a 10 mile long bullet would take alot more than the diameter of earth to slow it down safely enough to stop. Cause if it doesn't slow down and you suddenly make it tangible all the force with still act on Earth just from the inside and who knows how much that would **** up.

good point.

Let's face it, we are discussing physics that obviously Whedon won't spend this much time wondering about.

good point.

Last edited:
Did anybody read the new issue of Uncanny? They elude to the fact that kitty dies in the giant sized book.

Did anybody read the new issue of Uncanny? They elude to the fact that kitty dies in the giant sized book.

yeh i did my research deducing that because she was the only name not in any titles for the next coming months that she'd be the one to kick it. sadly.

Actually they said she was lost or that they had lost her. There is a difference.

i don't know because they even mention colossus in the new defenders title. and if messiah complex occurs after all this, then it's safe to assume logan, emma, armor, cyclops and beast are good to go. Was kitty even in Messiah complex?

EDIT: and then theres also skrull invasion which i haven't taken into account, but assuming they're all non-skrull, i'd say Kitty drew the short straw.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago Comixology had the Whedon Astonishing issues for 99 cents (except for the Giant Size issue which they greedily split up into two issues. Scumbags). I bought them and just finished re-reading them the other night.

I had forgotten how brilliant this was. EVERYTHING. Top to bottom, front to back. It's full of surprises and twists and has some of the best characterization I've ever read in a comic story.

I want to read it again.

Could kitty make the bullet go intangible?

Major, major props for this. Retroactive Post of the Day.

Making the bullet intangible is something I could have never even fathomed. Discussion on this dried up suddenly after we all gushed about the last couple issues, and we completely missed realizing this post was here.

Latest posts

Back