Astonishing X-Men: Second Stage (Discussion/Spoilers)

Dammit! You stole my joke!

It would explain this picture though.

tnsv2_cv3_solicit.jpg

VROOM-VROOM!

Man. Cyborg just looks pissed OFF that he's in a wheelchair.

Whatever you do, don't read Loeb's Wolverine arc that he drew. It's like Ultimate Iron Man but with Logan.

It's amazing: Wolverine turns out to be an avatar of ancient wolf people.

Makes me react thusly:

Understand-BunnyToiletRoll.jpg

LitG:

I have in my hands a copy of the script for Ghost Box, part 1 or 6. Honest.

ellis1.jpg

See?

Oh how about a bit of panel description

ellis2.jpg

Believe me now? Think I'm the new marvel_b0y? No? Oh well, please yourselves.

So what are the Ellis tropes? Well, no one smokes. There's only one phone call made. There's minor swearing. No one's British, let alone from Essex. There's some techy communication - Twitter gets a mention, but its appropriate to character. And there's a lot of use of the Moller Skycar as the X-Men's vehicular mode of choice - looks like the Blackberry version of the Blackbird.

moller-skycar.jpg

The X-Men are now located in San Francisco and get pulled into a murder mystery by the local police - possibly involving unknown mutants. It seems to reflect the very first issue of X-Men, especially the relationship with society before it got a little conveluted.

This is very much a setting-the-scene issue, establishing the major players, checking their relationships are in place, giving a few a tweak (the Scott/Emma scenes are surprisingly efficient, effective and natural) and then ramping up the urgency and importance of solving the murder.

Emma Frost looks like she should be the most fun to write, yet its surprising how little that's come through save for Morrison and Whedon. But here, the character is in full flow and reveling in the asides and attitudes that separated her as much as it joined her to the book.

And in fact it's enjoyable to see Warren Ellis play off specific relationships and plot points that Joss Whedon set up and makes you wonder if he couldn't be persuaded to write something for Season Nine of "Buffy" in a few years time.

Ellis integrates a now-married, now-royal Storm nicely into the book, more successfully that she was in Fantastic Four, We have a new look at the principles behind superhero costumery.

This has all the feelings of those first issues when an exciting writer joins of late. It's no "Anatomy Lesson," nor should it be, but it does have the very bright fresh feeling of "New X-Men" #114, "X-Force" #116, "Marvel Knights Punisher" Vol 2, "Amazing Spider-Man" #30... something actually that the "Astonishing X-Men's "very first issue lacked.

This is of course just the script. Let's see what happens when Simone Bianchi gets to it.

Cyclops has very large nipples.

The art is awesome. I love the circle bed.

I agree. I also really like the idea of the X-Men based out of San Francisco. It's the perfect city for them and really puts them in the thick of things. They really shouldn't be sequestered off in a rich mansion estate.

Latest posts

Back