Astonishing X-Men: Second Stage (Discussion/Spoilers)

X-23 near the end of NXM was great, I haven't gotten a chance to develope an opinion on Armour outside of AXM #13-24, and her tenure with the X-kids in MC, she has just seemed very generic

maybe I'm missing something

Anyone pick up/have seen the sketchbook?

I think the best part of this is the design of the military complex they're gonna be in. The designs of the place was done by Salvador Larroca, and quite frankly, it's gonna be effin' awesome.

But before I continue, I'll say what I think about the character designs.

Cyclops:
There's really not much change to his costume, but it still looks cool. Cykes, like all the men on the X-Men, will now have the X-symbol over their heart (and yeah, there's actual reason to that). I think I may like his costume the best, even with the tiniest addition not making it stand out from before.

Emma Frost:
There's almost virtually no change to her costume, except that she (like the other women on the X-team) will have the X-symbol in th middle of her chest.

Beast:
Beast now has most of his body covered. Before he just had pants, now he has his abdomen to neck covered as well. In the sketchbook, Beast looks like he's gained a hell of a lot more pounds. Plus he has these arm bracelet thingies that look ugly and ridiculous. Hate it.

Storm:
The worst of the bunch. Simone Bianchi updated her costume (while keeping the classic look/feel) by having it 'connect' to her African roots. It just makes her look like a psycho that's been electrocuted. :sick:

Wolverine:
The only difference (I believe) is just the placement of the X-symbol.

Archangel:
Another one with really no difference. If you weren't told there was a difference, you really wouldn't notice. Bianchi just ended the lines that go down his costume at his thighs. That's it.

Colossus:
I hate how he looks in the sketchbook. I hope he's done better in the actual comic. He's just drawn ugly here (almost each one has a 'finished look' on the pages, Colossus has one). Plus the boots look hideous. It's like he stole some giant ones from Tony and put them on 'cuz they match his outfit. Other than that, costume is cool.

Nightcrawler:
He basically still has his Uncanny redesign from before, except it has a little difference. There are lines added on it (you'll all see later on) and the X-symbol from the middle of his costume to above his heart. And oh yeah, the spooky just-got-out-of-bed-while-riding-a-roller-coaster hair! Can't forget that...

Dazzler:
A new costume, which may look good. Can't actually tell before all there is here is a sketched look with no 'finished' one to see. Just pencil with some ink.

Skipping the promo art sketch and the finished look, we get to see the cover for issues 26-30, with already seeing #26 for August's solicitations. It was all drawn at once on a larger sheet (well, later on. It's just early sketch stages here), then cut off for the respective issues. Wolverine, as we know, is one #26, Sotrym with Cyke's hand on #27, Cykes blasting with some of Emma on #28 (and the blasting with the other arm of Cykes goes from #28-30), Emma and Beast on #29, and Hisako on #30.

Then we get to the blueprint designs of the new X-Men HQ. And like I said, they are great. I'll see if I can actually get to put them up later to see, since it'd be easier to show these than explaining.

Last edited:
The designs in the sketchbook were pretty terrible. Combine this with Ellis bringing back some lame villain from Excalibur or something, and I'm not very interested in this. Maybe it should have ended with Whedon.

I think it was the Harpes (or whatever its called).

I'm willing to give Ellis a chance on this. Something like the Harpes I'd trust he could do something with better than in Excalibur.

I think it was the Harpes (or whatever its called).

I'm willing to give Ellis a chance on this. Something like the Harpes I'd trust he could do something with better than in Excalibur.

If they fought "Herpes" it would be awesome.

CBR previews AXM #25

HAHAHAHA!

So far, this is the best line:

"He says that if my name is "Armor" then his name is "Claws" and Ms. Frost's name is "Brain" and Ms. Rogue's name is "Suck." :lol:

Last edited:
Emma Frost is now Jenny Sparks. Neat.

I... I'm surprised. I didn't like it. At all. It read like Warren Ellis is just talking to himself.

Maybe it'll be better in my hands? I'm just surprised. I was really looking forward to this.

I don't know. I think this is gonna be a huge culture shock. Going from Whedon's geeky sarcastic style to Ellis' snide style.

I like it....but I can't say that I love it.

I... I'm surprised. I didn't like it. At all. It read like Warren Ellis is just talking to himself.

Maybe it'll be better in my hands? I'm just surprised. I was really looking forward to this.

That is exactly what I thought when reading the issue. I've read so much of his stuff now, it seems like all of his characters are the same. Which doesn't work for the X-Men.

But it was good. The art was alright, a bit messy and muddy in places, but that seems to be common amongst Bianchi's work.

It seems strange that whenever a high profile writer comes on board (Morrison, Whedon, Ellis) the X-Men get some new costumes/uniforms. Their wardrobes must be packed.

I like Armor using Twitter. Emma Frost says God a lot. Cyclops looked like Michael Jackson in one panel. Beast is the ****. Storm is boring. Wolverine is cool.

The plot is interesting. I will continue to read, because I will at least be guaranteed an entertaining story.

I loved it.

The X-men in San Francisco is brilliant. Ellis takes full advantage.

The new plot interests me, even though we have seen man-made mutants before.

And the dialogue...:lol:

I especially like Armor.

The new cover to #27:

AstonishingX-Men_27_NewCover.jpg

I loved it.

I do too.

It's not Whedon but it's still really good. The team dynamics are still there and I think they might be even better than with Whedon. I'm not an X-Men fan but I can appreciate that it can be difficult to write battle/fight scenes because you have a decent-sized group of individuals with powers that are all totally different. I think already Ellis has a solid grasp on this.

The dialogue in #26 where Scott is talking about accepting his role and the fact that sometimes people get killed...that's gold. Great continuation of the character development that has been going on since the end of New X-Men.

Latest posts

Back