Here's my bet:

The Avengers work on apprehending The Hulk in the first 30 minutes of the film, leading them to discover the frozen Captain America, and the possibility of a more trained kind of Hulk, who will inevitably decide to work with Fury's team.

The main villain will be someone else entirely, but hopefully not just a conglomeration of the villains of each of the separate films... I think it should be something big, like Ultron, or even Thanos.

Here's my bet:

The Avengers work on apprehending The Hulk in the first 30 minutes of the film, leading them to discover the frozen Captain America, and the possibility of a more trained kind of Hulk, who will inevitably decide to work with Fury's team.

The main villain will be someone else entirely, but hopefully not just a conglomeration of the villains of each of the separate films... I think it should be something big, like Ultron, or even Thanos.

See, I think it needs to incorporate the villains from some of the films, at least thematically, to work. As franchises, the individual films are each building themselves in a particular way. Iron Man being about the escalation of an arms war, for instance, or Hulk being about the military exploiting their soldiers and turning them into human weapons.

Favreau talked about Avengers being the third in the Iron Man trilogy, and I think this idea works. It should close out the Iron Man trilogy, the Hulk trilogy, and polish off ideas from the stand-alone films.

I think pulling out here-to-for unseen cosmic threat from nowhere probably isn't the best idea. If we're really talking about building a shared universe here, then the villain of the film should be built to in the preceding movies.

But then it all matters in terms of balance... None of the two villains we have seen yet are capable of taking center stage, and if they pull off Loki, he's going to be the only one who would fit in terms of pulling the teams together... But then wouldn't this be more of a Thor movie? and if it's The Red Skull, or Baron Zemo, isn't this going to be more of a Captain America movie?

That's why I think there needs to be a separate villain. I mean, Assuming this all leads to them building the Triskelion, an attack by Ultron could lead to the release of all the villains locked up in it's basement... I dunno. I agree there needs to be cohesion, but this is a team film, and they need a villain who affects them all separately, rather than a bunch of separate villains for them each to fight.

But then it all matters in terms of balance... None of the two villains we have seen yet are capable of taking center stage, and if they pull off Loki, he's going to be the only one who would fit in terms of pulling the teams together... But then wouldn't this be more of a Thor movie? and if it's The Red Skull, or Baron Zemo, isn't this going to be more of a Captain America movie?

That's why I think there needs to be a separate villain. I mean, Assuming this all leads to them building the Triskelion, an attack by Ultron could lead to the release of all the villains locked up in it's basement... I dunno. I agree there needs to be cohesion, but this is a team film, and they need a villain who affects them all separately, rather than a bunch of separate villains for them each to fight.

Well, this can be skirted rather easily with the two characters we have so far. The actual fights with Iron Man and Hulk aren't as important as the men behind the fights. In Iron Man, the villains are interchangable, the idea being that the threat is anybody at all having access to Iron Man technology, and the threat from Hulk isn't the human weapons themselves, but the men who build the human weapons. If the military-industrial complex is involved as a villain, then Hulk and Iron Man will have motivations and the proper story beats, while also getting an opportunity to fight big mean monsters that themselves don't need to be fleshed out particularly that well.

And since Captain America is going under the tag "The First Avenger" I can only assume that there will be substantial chunks of the movie devoted to lead-in.

See, I think it needs to incorporate the villains from some of the films, at least thematically, to work. As franchises, the individual films are each building themselves in a particular way. Iron Man being about the escalation of an arms war, for instance, or Hulk being about the military exploiting their soldiers and turning them into human weapons.

Favreau talked about Avengers being the third in the Iron Man trilogy, and I think this idea works. It should close out the Iron Man trilogy, the Hulk trilogy, and polish off ideas from the stand-alone films.

I think pulling out here-to-for unseen cosmic threat from nowhere probably isn't the best idea. If we're really talking about building a shared universe here, then the villain of the film should be built to in the preceding movies.

Going with that couldn't they do an unseen villain e.g Ultron. Here is what I mean.

- Iron Man 2 : Parts of Iron man's suit and technology is stolen
- If they do a hulk 2 : Have more of a similar thing. Like introduce Hulk busters and have parts of them get damaged
- Ant-man : more comedy sure like fantastic four BUT it introduces Henry Pym
- Thor have mention of a Machine rebeling

See where I'm going? Maybe not exactly like that. But little pieces here and there. Or maybe completely diffrent villain. Give little parts so when Avengers opens they can play all the parts at the beginning with the opening credits so it all makes sense and then we have a new villain who's origin is tied with the previous films.

Going with that couldn't they do an unseen villain e.g Ultron. Here is what I mean.

- Iron Man 2 : Parts of Iron man's suit and technology is stolen
- If they do a hulk 2 : Have more of a similar thing. Like introduce Hulk busters and have parts of them get damaged
- Ant-man : more comedy sure like fantastic four BUT it introduces Henry Pym
- Thor have mention of a Machine rebeling

See where I'm going? Maybe not exactly like that. But little pieces here and there. Or maybe completely diffrent villain. Give little parts so when Avengers opens they can play all the parts at the beginning with the opening credits so it all makes sense and then we have a new villain who's origin is tied with the previous films.

I agree. I feel that it needs to be more than just teasers though. It needs to be built organically. They need to be tied implicitly to the movie's themes, rather than just being little easter eggs to build upon.

For instance.

- In Iron Man 2, you introduce the Mandarin as a ruthless warlord who's crafting his own pet empire that exploits but is ultimately unhindered by the hate principles of fundamentalist terror using the Iron Man tech as his base.
- In Hulk 2, you introduce the American war machine capturing the Hulk to use as a weapon, with the realization that they have a weapon they can't control.
- In Captain America, you set the seeds of a sixty year old conspiracy that initially involves the Red Skull using the Nazi war machine for his own plans of conquest and revenge, a plan that's foiled by Captain America, but is allowed to continue, albeit slowed, without the presence of Cap. Maybe introduce a piece of Nordic reliquary as a mcguffin.
- In Thor, you introduce the idea that, while the Norse gods are caught in their circular Ragnarok conflict, Loki has slipped away to Earth to manipulate Earth from the sidelines, with the sole purpose of chaos.

And in the Avengers, you tie all these threats together under the banner of the Liberators.

Last edited:
Actually, I think you're on to something there, Mole...

That would be a great way to introduce Ultron... Sort of meld him together with the Sentient Armor concept.

And in the Avengers, you tie all these threats together under the banner of the Liberators.

If the Liberators are anything like they were in The Ultimates, it'll never happen. America taken down by Iran, North Korea, Russia, and China would be WAAAAY too contraversial.

Maybe we could take what you're saying, and instead of the Liberators, the organization is Hydra.

Last edited:
If the Liberators are anything like they were in The Ultimates, it'll never happen. America taken down by Iran, North Korea, Russia, and China would be WAAAAY too contraversial.

Maybe we could take what you're saying, and instead of the Liberators, the organization is Hydra.

Yeah. I'd see HYDRA being an arm of the Ten Rings organization. Instead of an international union rallied against the United States, it would be a terror empire styled on the conquests of Alexander the Great, and united by The Mandarin (giving them access to Iron Man tech), Red Skull (giving them access to a super-soldier serum), and Loki (who, if embedded in the military-industrial complex, would let them manipulate the Hulk into raging out a convenient moment, and would give Banner the drive for redemption).

I agree. I feel that it needs to be more than just teasers though.

Problem is Teasers work best for that. If they go too much into it it distracts from current film. The avengers teasers are good because they don't distract. Doing the same for a villain origin would work in a way that suits previous films , gives a new villain to promote in avengers and ties up loose ends.

Problem is Teasers work best for that. If they go too much into it it distracts from current film. The avengers teasers are good because they don't distract. Doing the same for a villain origin would work in a way that suits previous films , gives a new villain to promote in avengers and ties up loose ends.

Except, the Avengers should be more than just "featuring these characters!". It should be a natural continuation and finale for the arcs that have been built in the earlier movies. There are plenty of ways to organically build to a an Avengers-spectacular finale without it just being a thirty second spot that teases the upcoming film.

Yeah. I'd see HYDRA being an arm of the Ten Rings organization. Instead of an international union rallied against the United States, it would be a terror empire styled on the conquests of Alexander the Great, and united by The Mandarin (giving them access to Iron Man tech), Red Skull (giving them access to a super-soldier serum), and Loki (who, if embedded in the military-industrial complex, would let them manipulate the Hulk into raging out a convenient moment, and would give Banner the drive for redemption).

That's a bad line up.

There no way they can work together especially with The Red Skull.

Most villains hate working with The skull because he's a Nazi.
Also, The Mandrin rarely teams up with anyone. Loki could be a challenge all by himself though.

Last edited:
That's a bad line up.

There no way they can work together especially with The Red Skull.

Most villains hate working with The skull because he's a Nazi.
Also, The Mandrin rarely teams up with anyone. Loki could be a challenge all by himself though.

How about instead of just reusing villains that appeared in previous films, they face a new threat instead, like Ultron?

Except, the Avengers should be more than just "featuring these characters!". It should be a natural continuation and finale for the arcs that have been built in the earlier movies. There are plenty of ways to organically build to a an Avengers-spectacular finale without it just being a thirty second spot that teases the upcoming film.

Have you learned nothing from Spidey 3, too many villains hogging the spot light is what killed that movie. There should only be one villain, otherwise it will become a mess, because you have to divided your focus in a million different directions. The Avengers and one villain is enough characters to focus on for one movie.

Last edited:
How about instead of just reusing villains that appeared in previous films, they face a new threat instead, like Ultron?

Ultron would suck for the first one.

Besides, This is you assuming Mandrin will be the one in the next Iron Man film.

And even so seeing the Villains team up is just as cool as seeing the heroes team up.

Have you learned nothing from Spidey 3, too many villains hogging the spot light is what killed that movie. There should only be one villain, otherwise it will become a mess, because you have to divided your focus in a million different directions. The Avengers and one villain is enough characters to focus on for one movie.

Except it's a team movie and it would make sense here.

It could easly work.

O ye of little faith.

Last edited:
Ultron would suck for the first one.

Besides, This is you assuming Mandrin will be the one in the next Iron Man film.

And even so seeing the Villains team up is just as cool as seeing the heroes team up.

Why would Ultron suck? They can set him up a bit in other movies.

As for villain team ups, that worked really well in Spidey 3.

Mandarin is a very likely candidate for IM2, which someone from the crew had mentioned he is a highly possible villain to be used.

But even then, I'd rather see someone else used for this movie, and I believe the chances are Ultron. There's no way he would suck for this movie because honestly, it's hard enough to get the actors together to make a movie like this, so imagine waiting and trying to make a sequel.

Why would Ultron suck? They can set him up a bit in other movies.

As for villain team ups, that worked really well in Spidey 3.

Except for the fact that this is a team movie so a team of villains banding together to even the odds would make perfect sense. If some of them are already established they don't really need to spend too much time on them anyway.

Also, Spidy 3 still made millions so what's your point exactly? Besides, it has worked before.

It can worke if done right.

Latest posts

Back