avengers-promo2.jpg

Aaaaaanndd...background.

It looks awful. The grin doesn't help.

But these costumes are not designed to work in any function other than on camera. On camera it will look fine. This is what people said about the X-Men costumes, the Superman costumes, and so on. Happens every time. On film, it will be fine. But those pictures of it are indeed terrible. Yet, they're not promotional material so nothing to worry about.

The shots that leaked (or were released or whatever) showing the current Captain America costume...that costume is TERRIBLE.

I was thinking the same thing...its the first thing I've been disappointed by Marvel Studios since Iron Man 2.

But these costumes are not designed to work in any function other than on camera. On camera it will look fine. This is what people said about the X-Men costumes, the Superman costumes, and so on. Happens every time. On film, it will be fine. But those pictures of it are indeed terrible. Yet, they're not promotional material so nothing to worry about.

God, I hope so. Its far too colorful and clothy looking in those pics. I am looking forward to seeing it as we're intended to (through the lens) and hope it looks much better on camera.

Bass said:

I don't recall - which X-Men costumes? I hated the ones in the original trilogy; the ones in First Class were great.

I'm hoping that it does look fine on camera and it's a matter of laying on some post-production magic.

Both X-Men costumes were villified. It happens all the time. The costume will look fine when properly lit in the movie. (Unless it's supposed to be like the USO costume.) Don't worry at all. The only time I can remember people saying the costume was rubbish before the film came out and turned out to be right was GREEN LANTERN.

So I saw a video someone posted on the Marvel.com boards (which has since been taken down due to copyright ownership by Marvel) of some video game footage of the upcoming tie-in Avengers video game. Its basically a resume video by one of the CG artists working on the Avengers game (since mixed in with the Avengers footage was some FPS game footage and a singing rat montage?) It wasn't anything highly detailed (it was just character models interacting with unfinished scenery or fighting Skrulls), but Thor, Cap, and Hawkeye all appear. Thor is shown fighting what looks like a Super Skrull. Its interesting only because obviously the movie designs are inspiring the looks in the game, but apparently the Skrulls will look very similar to their 616 counterparts (at least according to this video).

That video game was cancelled.

Looks like the rights to this game have reverted back to Marvel, so there's a likely possibility they'll shop it out to another game studio to finish whatever needs finishing (according to reports I've read, THQ had completed a large majority of the work on this game) and still be released. Maybe not to coincide with the movie's release (they'd still have to really rush it, thats only a little over 7 months away), but certainly for its DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Link

Last edited:
I finally saw Thor and Captain America.

For all first films, I like Iron Man the best, but I really enjoyed the fantastical elements in Thor, and the beginnings of Captain America. I didn't like the WWII fighting segments, felt they were too quick and rushed. Spent entirely too much time on the USO thing.

I think I'm completely with you, Houde. Do you enjoy WW2 as a period? Does it fascinate you? My theory is that all three are of the same quality, but you love/hate them depending on how much their particulars tickle your fancy. For example; THOR is essentially a HE-MAN movie and I like toyetic heroes with plastic capes and kung fu hammer swing action, whereas other friends mine adore WW2 and love the tanks and Nazis, and so they preferred CAPTAIN AMERICA.

I think I'm completely with you, Houde. Do you enjoy WW2 as a period? Does it fascinate you? My theory is that all three are of the same quality, but you love/hate them depending on how much their particulars tickle your fancy. For example; THOR is essentially a HE-MAN movie and I like toyetic heroes with plastic capes and kung fu hammer swing action, whereas other friends mine adore WW2 and love the tanks and Nazis, and so they preferred CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Thor, Iron Man and Captain America are basically good versions of He-Man, Transformers (kind of) and GI Joe big budget movies.

I honestly don't think I enjoy WWII as a period. Which may have been the reason to all of that.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I have long been interested in WWII and that time period, which may explain why I am partial to Captain America over the other Avengers origin movies.

I finally saw Thor and Captain America.

For all first films, I like Iron Man the best, but I really enjoyed the fantastical elements in Thor, and the beginnings of Captain America. I didn't like the WWII fighting segments, felt they were too quick and rushed. Spent entirely too much time on the USO thing.

I would agree with that. I still prefer Cap over Iron Man and Thor, but I think thats because...

That pretty much nails it on the head. But theres a genius in what Marvel Studios is doing because I think the writers/producers/directors all had a clear idea of that when going in. As said, Iron Man is Transformers, Captain America is GI Joe, and Thor is He-Man (thats a perfect summation of their themes, honestly). I'm just interested to see how they combine these disparate elements in Avengers and still have it work as a cohesive story juggling the stories of the characters within with the themes of each respective section of the MCU franchise.

Thor, Iron Man and Captain America are basically good versions of He-Man, Transformers (kind of) and GI Joe big budget movies.

Absolutely correct. Supermen, Robots, and Soldiers. That's it.

That pretty much nails it on the head. But theres a genius in what Marvel Studios is doing because I think the writers/producers/directors all had a clear idea of that when going in. As said, Iron Man is Transformers, Captain America is GI Joe, and Thor is He-Man (thats a perfect summation of their themes, honestly). I'm just interested to see how they combine these disparate elements in Avengers and still have it work as a cohesive story juggling the stories of the characters within with the themes of each respective section of the MCU franchise.

I don't think Marvel Studios thinks of it in that way at all.

Bass said:
Absolutely correct. Supermen, Robots, and Soldiers. That's it.

I don't think Marvel Studios thinks of it in that way at all.

I didn't mean they planned it with those franchises in mind when making or planning the movies, since obviously they have plenty of their own material to draw from. I meant they clearly are defining these movies within their respective niches: Sci-fi (Iron Man), fantasy (Thor), and war (Cap), and wondering how well the script, the actors, and JW will handle combining those aspects.

I am trying to stay spoiler-free for this film. I don't think I've done that in a while.

Also, I finally saw the Hulk film. 'Twas good.

Also also, I saw the Consultant short film. It's kind of a mixed bag for me. On one hand, Coulson is excellent, and the idea of
the Abomination keeping Blonsky's good publicity is an interesting idea, as is misguided politicians trying to get the Abomination on the Avengers and SHIELD trying to sabotage those plans covertly.
It makes me wonder how they're going to handle Hulk being on the team. On the other hand,
not seeing the Tony/General Ross smackdown was a letdown. I realize that it would probably be difficult to get RDJ and/or William Hurt for just a few minutes of screen time in a short, but Tony being a dick to authority figures is consistently entertaining, and it just felt wrong to let us only see the aftermath.

Last edited:
I didn't mean they planned it with those franchises in mind when making or planning the movies, since obviously they have plenty of their own material to draw from. I meant they clearly are defining these movies within their respective niches: Sci-fi (Iron Man), fantasy (Thor), and war (Cap), and wondering how well the script, the actors, and JW will handle combining those aspects.

Again, I don't think that's true. There is no clear definition in the terms you mean it. CAP is set in WW2 but fights sci-fi enemies that use alien technology. In fact, part of that decision was specifically to homogenise CAP with the other films. And you notice that no one is talking about INCREDIBLE HULK which is part of this grouping of Marvel Avengers movies. They want all these movies to be as similar as possible so they can tie them together, and they have just a little bit of individuality that's been taken from the core premise. But what you're suggesting is a much more intentful distinction of genre between the movies and I don't believe anyone working on these movies knows enough about the genres or properties to do so. As much as I enjoy all four of these films, not one of them has anything close to the level of authorship over its source material as Nolan has with BATMAN. I mean, it feels like Nolan kinda created Batman, does it not? He really took over it. All the other superhero movies lack that level of authority, they feel like run-of-the-mill adaptations of the comics, even SPIDER-MAN and the X-MEN. The only other 'authors' I would suggest would be X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. While I like all of these movies, and they are certainly of some quality, they lack the authority for it to be really apparent that they understand genre or the properties in any meaningful way.

Again, I don't think that's true. There is no clear definition in the terms you mean it. CAP is set in WW2 but fights sci-fi enemies that use alien technology. In fact, part of that decision was specifically to homogenise CAP with the other films. And you notice that no one is talking about INCREDIBLE HULK which is part of this grouping of Marvel Avengers movies. They want all these movies to be as similar as possible so they can tie them together, and they have just a little bit of individuality that's been taken from the core premise. But what you're suggesting is a much more intentful distinction of genre between the movies and I don't believe anyone working on these movies knows enough about the genres or properties to do so. As much as I enjoy all four of these films, not one of them has anything close to the level of authorship over its source material as Nolan has with BATMAN. I mean, it feels like Nolan kinda created Batman, does it not? He really took over it. All the other superhero movies lack that level of authority, they feel like run-of-the-mill adaptations of the comics, even SPIDER-MAN and the X-MEN. The only other 'authors' I would suggest would be X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. While I like all of these movies, and they are certainly of some quality, they lack the authority for it to be really apparent that they understand genre or the properties in any meaningful way.

Nolan certainly re-created Batman (at least Cinema's version).

But I DO think the creators and Feige (the producer for the Marvel films) specifically is keeping those genre-elements (at least for the individual character films) in mind when making the films. Maybe not to an extremely noticeable degree, but I feel the movies do a good job of leaning on those genres while still keeping the Marvel "feel", if that makes sense. After watching Thor and Iron Man again this weekend, Thor most definitely has a very large fantasy element, maybe only made less so due to some of the film being set on modern day Earth (the Asgard scenery, costumes, etc definitely helped lend that quality).

And Cap was a war film, albeit an over the top sci-fi mash up. And while Iron Man wasn't overtly sci-fi beyond the suit, its entire premise is built on science-fiction.

You really don't think the creators are keeping that in mind?

Latest posts

Back