Batman Begins (Movie spoilers)

Guijllons said:
So would I. I can't really put my finger on why I didn't think it was amazing. There was no particular flaw in the film that stood out (the editing just wasn't to my taste) that would really get me standing on a soapbox.
I just didn't love it as much as I thought I would. I didn't have a lot of fun while watching it.

Maybe it was just that Katie Holmes, she was terrible, but didn't really have a massive impact on the movie for me.
Christian Bale was good though, I always enjoy watching him, Michael Caine was (as always) a joke, but no-one but me seems to realise that he's a crap actor. Neeson (as always) was good, Oldman was underused.

I dunno, I just don't think there was any emotional impact to any of it. Maybe that was it.

Well, since you're so against the editting in this movie, what did you think about it in Spider-Man 2? I just didn't think that was put together well at all. When I saw it on the big screen, I thought it was amateur hour or something... It was nuts.

I thought the spidey editing was great to be honest. I love raimi, I find his style very comfortable and enjoyable to watch. In fact, there were very few things at all that I disliked about spiderman 2. It was a near perfect superhero movie for me.

And when I talk of the editing in Batman, it's not just the 'burst editing' of the fight scenes where everything is intercut quickly to add pace. I could handle that. It was more the scenes that required the viewer to take a moment to really grasp the importance of what is happening. An expression or a moment extended to add effect. The editing to me felt very mathematic and seemed to be geared towards giving the viewer information rather than giving them reason.

This may have been a device of the director to make the movie feel more claustrophobic, to add a tension, but ultimately I feel that without the opening up of scenes and playing with time and moments it failed itself because we weren't given a chance to care about what was happening.

Take, for example, Batman getting burnt by Scarecrow. In the year one book by Frank Miller, Batman has a similar scene where he gets into a very bad situation on a balcony with a few teens burgling an apartment. In this scene Miller plays it painfully slow, like we're in a bad situation, and it gets worse, and there is nothing we can do to make it better, Batman stops a kid from falling and another is kicking him in the face and you have this tension. With the fire scene in Batman Begins, it's all over and done with as quickly as possible, it's saying "Batman gets into a bad scrape, and only just about gets out ok", which is fine, but it needed more drama, more pain, we needn't to see some real conflict there. And I can't blame the players, it was acted fine, as were all elements, except the editing. It felt short and rushed and out of the way far too quickly.

Now, I do have a personal bias here, I do love seventies filmmaking, I love the slowness and the conversation and the stillness of the camera. I like how it's considered. I like to chew my food before I swallow it.

Edit: One more thing. I wasn't clear until the very end that Katie Holmes was supposed to be the love interest. I just thought they were childhood friends.

Last edited:
I thought Spidey 2 was at best, as good as Batman. Spidey 2 had 6 plots going on. The major plot, the MJ Spidey love story was a load of bollocks. The other 5 were okay, with the exception of the illness story which was really cool until they decided that Spidey was ill because he was faking it.

*cough*

So, Spidey 2 I found particularly mediocre.

I still think the most 'perfect' superhero film is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm or The Incredibles. No doubt. Superman and Burton's Batman films are close though. The rest fall quickly behind into mediocre territory where the only reason to watch 'em again is to either work out how the film's could be better or to see some sweet CGI (or both in the case of the Hulk).

While Tobey Maguire didn't play Spidey as the wisecracker he is, he did give a lot of humanity to the role. You say that the love story was mediocre, I disagree, I felt that it was rather freshly played and believable. I could easily put myself in Peter's shoes and see why he was attracted to MJ and vice versa without suspending any belief. I had something that many love stories in action movies don't have, real romance.

Everything crap in Peter's life in the film is due to the fact that he's spiderman. This is someone who went from geek to hero in a matter of moments, he had his uncle gunned down, his aunt terrorised, the love interest put in danger, his schooling and everything else is all screwed up due to the fact that he's spiderman. This geek (with obvious confidence issues) is going to take everything on himself as blame, he's going to turn in on himself at times of trouble. It's absolutely feasible that he would find some way to block out all that was happening to him, of all the things that he can now overcome, the hardest would clearly be his own self.

Mask of the Phantasm was a scooby doo story, I'm not even gonna go there. And the incredibles was a great film, though I have concerns on whether I would put it in the category of a superhero movie. The "Supers" were there, but the heroism really wasn't, it was a family cartoon story. A superhero story in mind needs to have something powerful to overcome, something that gives real danger to the protagonists. This was as much of a superhero story as independence day, albeit a far better movie.

Guijllons said:
Mask of the Phantasm was a scooby doo story, I'm not even gonna go there. And the incredibles was a great film, though I have concerns on whether I would put it in the category of a superhero movie. The "Supers" were there, but the heroism really wasn't, it was a family cartoon story. A superhero story in mind needs to have something powerful to overcome, something that gives real danger to the protagonists. This was as much of a superhero story as independence day, albeit a far better movie.
I dunno, I personally qualify The Incredibles as a superhero movie because I now see superheroes less as a genre and more as an aesthetic/narrative trope.

The superhero story has mutated and crossbred with so many other genres --- horror, crime noir, tech thrillers --- that it's hard to put such a solid distinction between say Spider-Man and something like The Incredibles (which itself also mixes in elements of James Bond-esque spy thrillers).

What qualifies as "something powerful to overcome"? Lots of things: The crippling socio-political mandate against the Supers? The psychological tensions of a dysfunctional family? A bitter fanboy and his mad scheme for glory? A giant death-kill-bot terrorizing the city? Take your pick.

Last edited:
Guijllons said:

Mask was pretty far from a scooby-doo story IMO. I still feel it (along with the Animated Series) are the best representation of Batman both in look, feel, story and character. Incredibles was a superhero movie, just not a mainstream superhero movie. It was similar to Watchmen in alot of ways actually, I felt. Both in the plot and structure and the way the heroes were portrayed. All things are relative of course, so our views on this could be different.

Entropy said:
Mask was pretty far from a scooby-doo story IMO. I still feel it (along with the Animated Series) are the best representation of Batman both in look, feel, story and character. Incredibles was a superhero movie, just not a mainstream superhero movie. It was similar to Watchmen in alot of ways actually, I felt. Both in the plot and structure and the way the heroes were portrayed. All things are relative of course, so our views on this could be different.

*tries to understand comparison of the Incredibles to Watchmen*

*head explodes*

Guijllons said:
While Tobey Maguire didn't play Spidey as the wisecracker he is, he did give a lot of humanity to the role. You say that the love story was mediocre, I disagree, I felt that it was rather freshly played and believable. I could easily put myself in Peter's shoes and see why he was attracted to MJ and vice versa without suspending any belief. I had something that many love stories in action movies don't have, real romance.

I found it to be unbelievably false. One of the most important conventions of the love story (up there with the "boy meets girl" scene) is the 'blocking character'. Or, the reason the lovers can't get together. In Shakespeare's day, parents were a good blocking character. Now, however, kids **** behind their parents back all the time. Teen pregnancies are proof of this. In the 50s, it was marriage. No divorcing or adultery without scandal. Now, divorcing is almost a commonplace occurence, as is adultery. It's a big fat cliche' that she won't go with Peter because she's about to be married. Real romantic stories aren't going, "Oh, I love you, but, I have a commitment to something else" but the continuous pursuit of that romance over those obstacles. The blocking characters of the modern day love story are either non-existent or shallow and as a result the story spends most of its time trying to make the blocking characters seem powerful obstacles to love, but in fact the obstacles don't do much of anything at all, and the lovers just talk about "Oh, I feel comitted". :sick:

Guijllons said:
Everything crap in Peter's life in the film is due to the fact that he's spiderman. This is someone who went from geek to hero in a matter of moments, he had his uncle gunned down, his aunt terrorised, the love interest put in danger, his schooling and everything else is all screwed up due to the fact that he's spiderman. This geek (with obvious confidence issues) is going to take everything on himself as blame, he's going to turn in on himself at times of trouble. It's absolutely feasible that he would find some way to block out all that was happening to him, of all the things that he can now overcome, the hardest would clearly be his own self.

I agree. But my point was that the illness was not resolved well. It was supposed to be a powerful triumph over his own fears and self-doubts, but instead, it just seems like he was faking it all the time. I was laughing my *** off and really, really enjoying the whole illness plot. Is he ill? Or is it psychosomatic? Or is it something worse? Turned out it was just him faking it. All he needed was "a reason" which was MJ being captured. Which happened last film. I thought we might get a replay of the old Lee/Ditko issue where Doc Ock challenges Spider-Man to a fight or he'll do something evil (I forget what) and Spidey's ill. He fights Doc Ock anyway, while JJJ and the Bugle lot watch. He loses miserably, and has his *** handed to him. Doc Ock unmasks him and JJJ thinks Peter's a hero because he pretended to be Spider-Man to stop Doc Ock being evil. No on believes its puny Parker. I just felt the psychosomatic 'resolution' was a big fat cop out.

That said, the subway train sequence was really, really well done from start to finish. I was elated with it.

Guijllons said:

Well, I think it's a "Classic Superhero" (secret identity, fights crime, etc) with a blend of "Exotic Action Adventure" too. But it's better than any live action superhero film, no doubt.

As for the Mask of the Phantasm, it was a murder mystery and quite cleverly done. One of the major conventions of the superhero is the costume or mask. In murder mystery, the person whodunnit is (in most cases) the major mystery. But in a superhero story, you need a supervillain antagonist, so it cleverly kept the alter-ego behind the villain's mask a secret so as to have both the known villain and the mystery villain. Very clever mixing of the genres. Scooby-doo 'twas not. Also, it does a better job (and a much more succinct and concise one at that) of explaining Batman's origins and complicating the story with a love interest than was done in Batman Begins.

Which brings us nicely back on topic. :D

Understand I don't think Spidey 2 or Batman Begins are bad films. They are actually not bad at all. I think they're fine, but I don't think they're particularly amazing films that get all this "best film ever" nonsense. They're okay, and somewhat entertaining, and I think, that's all they are. I don't see much depth to them.

moonmaster said:
*tries to understand comparison of the Incredibles to Watchmen*

*head explodes*

Its not to hard of a stretch. Incredibles, superheroes are forced into retirement because of massive lawsuits and public outcry. We see how they are coping both with real life and with being heroes fifteen years later and have to deal with a threat that is something other than it seems (Syndrome being a villian so he can be a hero, that was great). Watchmen, superheroes are forced into retirement because of police strikes and massive public outcry. We see how they are coping both with real life and with dealing with the hero identities seven years later, and they have to deal with a threat that is not what it seems (Veidt destroying a city to save a world, that was classic). See where I'm going with this? The stories are different, but their structures and plot devices are very similar. I'm not saying they were exactly alike, just similar in execution and concepts.

I'll probably just get the normal one.

Re: Game proposal - Dreamcasting

sjmole said:
I'm in and will do it.

I'll avoid batman begins one however as IMO its one of the worst movies ever
*cocks shotgun* You have two minutes

It disturbs me that he orgasms over Venom... and thinks Batman Begins is a horrible movie.

I think it's time to break in the ban button.

ProjectX2 said:
It disturbs me that he orgasms over Venom... and thinks Batman Begins is a horrible movie.

I think it's time to break in the ban button.

:lol:

doitjb9.gif

Wow you guys really like that movie huh?

LOL I could get in to why I hate it (e.g worst batmobile EVER) but I wont.

and to you people with guns "Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can imagine" lol

sjmole said:
Wow you guys really like that movie huh?
I think you're officially the only person on the planet who doesn't.

Latest posts

Back