Brightest Day discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: After Blackest Night is...

Didn't Busiek just try that after Infinite Crisis with Sword of Atlantis?

Yeah. But from what I understand, it was pretty generic sword-and-sorcery Conan-style fantasy. You'd need an ideal writer to really make it work, if it could be made to work at all.

Huh...

I've never really understood the appeal of Aquaman.

Gotta say I agree. I don't hate him, he's just not interesting. I mean, he's not a threat unless you attack him underwater, right?

Although my only real exposure to him was in Justice, in which he was Brainiac's ***** from the very start. So maybe it's just that I just haven't read anything that showcases him well.

Morrison's Aquaman was badass - I loved how in Earth-2 it was just him and J'onn taking out the whole Crime Syndicate.

I am excited for Aquaman because Johns has been talking about how he's one of his favourite characters for so long. If anyone can make Aquaman work, it's Johns.

I presume this is where he's going to turn Black Manta into a major villain as well.

Solicitations for Brightest Day in May. The New Guardians are going to be based on Earth. That's kind of exciting.

Also, Tomasi is leaving GLC in the hands of Tony Bedard to write a book about Guy Gardner.

Excellent. I am excited.

Did anyone read #0? I loved it. If the whole series is like this issue, it's going to be one of my favourites.

Did anyone read #0? I loved it. If the whole series is like this issue, it's going to be one of my favourites.

It was interesting, but it really just served as a primer. I'm still holding out my verdict until we're a few issues in, but I'm hopeful.

I was more excited by Flash though. That was a great first issue.

It was interesting, but it really just served as a primer. I'm still holding out my verdict until we're a few issues in, but I'm hopeful.

I was more excited by Flash though. That was a great first issue.

I gave them both five stars on iFanboy. I thought both were great starts and showed the potential of this new DC universe, one I'm really excited to be reading.

I gave them both five stars on iFanboy. I thought both were great starts and showed the potential of this new DC universe, one I'm really excited to be reading.

Eh. It was okay.

I hated how characters kept actually referring to it as the Brightest Day.

Yeah. that bugged the hell out of me.

It reminded me of an episode of UCB though, so that's cool.

Last edited:
As much as I've been hyper-critical of Dark Reign and Blackest Night, I'm somehow unable to drum up any sort of enthusiasm for the interestingly coordinated "Heroic Age" and "Brightest Day". I read issue #0, and while it certainly wasn't bad, I was pretty underwhelmed. I'm going to read it again and look for hints at the possibility of future complexities, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Ugh. Sounds like Bendis's Avengers "this is the worst day in Avengers history!!!!11" ad nauseum. That drove me insane.

Ugh. Sounds like Bendis's Avengers "this is the worst day in Avengers history!!!!11" ad nauseum. That drove me insane.

But.... Bendis taking over Avengers WAS the worst day in Avengers history.

;)

As much as I've been hyper-critical of Dark Reign and Blackest Night, I'm somehow unable to drum up any sort of enthusiasm for the interestingly coordinated "Heroic Age" and "Brightest Day". I read issue #0, and while it certainly wasn't bad, I was pretty underwhelmed. I'm going to read it again and look for hints at the possibility of future complexities, but I'm not overly optimistic.

You think these almost reboots have something to do with it being 2010 and a new decade? looking back the 90s really started afresh with Morirsons JLA run, and then the 00s kinda got going again with identity crisis, infinite crisis and that OYL/52 stuff. When do you think we're due an overhaul for 2010s?

That didn't bother me because it's like all the mentions of Blackest Night - it was part of the prophecy so it would make sense they would refer to it like that.

#1 - Black Manta!

That didn't bother me because it's like all the mentions of Blackest Night - it was part of the prophecy so it would make sense they would refer to it like that.

#1 - Black Manta!

black manta's "rebirth" if you will was pretty gnarly. i will never mention aquaman while purchasing seafood again

I would think keeping your suit stashed at the sandbar would be asking for it to float away. Guess not.

That doesn't make it any less groan inducing. It like if Captain America said "Well now that the Dark Reign is over we are all living in The Heroic Age!"

That doesn't make it any less groan inducing. It like if Captain America said "Well now that the Dark Reign is over we are all living in The Heroic Age!"

It doesn't make it any less groan inducing but it is different - Blackest Night/Brightest Day are in story events that are actually part of the oath/prophecy and I don't believe Dark Reign/Heroic Age are.

I enjoyed Blackest Night (the idea more than the actual execution, but still...), but Brightest Day is doing nothing for me.

Maybe it will read better all at once.

Also, Proj is right re: calling it "Blackest Night". I mean, come on - it's been part of their oath forever.

Latest posts

Back