Brightest Day discussion (Spoilers!)

My problem with Brightest Day is I don't care about half the characters (Hawk and Dove, Firestorm) and so I don't care about the issues which focus on them.

It's seems to be a much bigger story in scope than Blackest Night. Where Blackest night had to fit into this 8 issue thing, Brightest Day gets to tell it's story over a much wider forum, which allows for more disposition, but unlike 52 where it was able to keep people's interest week to week, this seems to fall flat most of the time because no one knows what the **** is going on.

My problem with Brightest Day is I don't care about half the characters (Hawk and Dove, Firestorm) and so I don't care about the issues which focus on them.

I didn't even realize it but I agree - I barely care about Deadman either.

So, it's been three months since anyone commented on this book.

Does anyone else get the feeling this book might have benefited more from a Seven Soldiers treatment?

So, it's been three months since anyone commented on this book.

Does anyone else get the feeling this book might have benefited more from a Seven Soldiers treatment?

I was enjoying it at first but it seemed to be dragging and I just stopped caring about what was going on. I've stopped reading it.

I was enjoying it at first but it seemed to be dragging and I just stopped caring about what was going on. I've stopped reading it.

I read it in scans but usually don't care enough to even catch up until weeks later. Part of it's due to below par writing but I think the bigger problem is just that the pacing is so arrhythmic. I think it would have flowed much better as four or five minis focusing on the particular characters (with Brightest Day bookend issues and maybe a similar one shot in the middle) especially since, at least at the halfway mark, nothing really seems all that connected.

But if the rumors of the four main characters getting series coming out of the finale is true then they could have just continued the series numbering off the minis and get a sales spike when, say six months in, they announce, "Hey guys. Surprise! These aren't minis! They're actually the opening arc to four new ongoings!"

Last edited:
I read it in scans but usually don't care enough to even catch up until weeks later. Part of it's due to below par writing but I think the bigger problem is just that the pacing is so arrhythmic. I think it would have flowed much better as four or five minis focusing on the particular characters (with Brightest Day bookend issues and maybe a similar one shot in the middle) especially since, at least at the halfway mark, nothing really seems all that connected.

Agreed on all points. It doesn't feel like there's going to be any payoff, at least one that I would care anything about.

Yeah I'm losing interest in this. Justice League: Generation Lost was the better book to come out of Blackest Night IMO.

Yeah I'm losing interest in this. Justice League: Generation Lost was the better book to come out of Blackest Night IMO.

Agreed.

And I'm really surprised to say that because I don't really like Winick.

E said:
Agreed on all points. It doesn't feel like there's going to be any payoff, at least one that I would care anything about.

Fair enough. For the most part, each of the stories feels like it's a pitch for a new character direction, or else the opening arc of a new series, which is fine enough, even though the players involved don't grab me all that much. But the fact that they'll leave a story alone for months before picking it up really hurts the ones that are left behind.

That said, the cliffhanger at the end of the last issue ties things back into Green Lantern, so if you're a fan of that whole mythos, it might be worth checking out, and it looks like from here on out, it might be steadily building to something more unified.

;) Then again, we might not hear anything else about the reveal for another ten issues.

What the hell DC? Make some coherent sense, will ya?

So, evidently when one of the twelve resurrected people does what the white lantern wants them to do, it kills them again after saying life returned.

Fine, whatever, not like I really care about any of these other than Deadman anyways.

But, be consistent will ya?

Max Lord is still around after fulfilling his mission. And in the process, he's managed to kill another Blue Beetle while doing it.

Reverse Flash is still alive, even though he came back AFTER fulfilling his mission.

And Osiris, the idiot, is still around after fulfilling his part of the bargain.

So, only the heroes are being killed off? And if so, what happens to FIrestorm, going to kill off both Ronnie Raymond and Jason Rusch, or just Jason considering how they seem to be wanting to kill off all the minorities lately.

No one is talking about this?

Swamp Thing!

SWAMP THING SWAMP THING SWAMP THING!!!!!

No one is talking about this?

Swamp Thing!

SWAMP THING SWAMP THING SWAMP THING!!!!!

I saw that spoiled and Twitter and now I'm going to have to go back and give this another try. It's an interesting idea.

I'm going to wait until it's finished though - aren't there only a couple more issues or so?

There's just one left. I've liked it. It's been a little inconsistent, but overall I think I preferred it to Blackest Night.

I'm very excited to have the character in question back in play.

I'm very excited to have the character in question back in play.

I think I'd be more excited if it seemed like things were leading up to this rather than coming out of left field. I read the first 10 or 12 issues and it didn't seem like that but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

I would also be more excited if the writer that made said character great had anything to do with this...

I think I'd be more excited if it seemed like things were leading up to this rather than coming out of left field. I read the first 10 or 12 issues and it didn't seem like that but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

I would also be more excited if the writer that made said character great had anything to do with this...

All true. That would be something. A something that will never happen, but we can dream, right?

Clearly, said character is being groomed for a return, so we'll see who will ultimately be writing, uh, said character.

I thought the Swamp Thing reveal was silly. He's a character who hasn't made any appearances or even been alluded to anywhere in the series, but then, that sort of seems to be the whole MO of this book: Johns cherry picking characters he wants to write, telling stories about them that are only of interest to people with an already established interest in the characters, all tied together by an incredibly suspect series of "missions".

I still don't understand why this means China Mievelle couldn't write his Vertigo Swamp Thing series.

Latest posts

Back