Bruce Timm Universe Adoration Thread

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
So I made this thread because I have no doubt that it will grow far beyond the JLU thread. Plus...this is about Timm's work in general and not just JL or JLU.

I :heart: Bruce Timm's cartoons so much. I seriously don't think you people understand how much I love them. If the world was to stop making cartoons, right now, forever....I'd still be set. I have all of Timm's cartoons (save Teen Titans and Legion of Superheroes).

Right now I'm halfway thru season 3 of Batman. Right at the mark where they switched opening credits from Batman to "The New Adventures of Batman and Robin". Now I love all of the older cartoons....but I find myself drawn towards the Season 4 set of Batman more than the others.

Probably because I'm such a visual person. At that point of time for the show they switched some animations studios and designs and went for some design revamps on the characters. The animation is smoother, the designs are crisper and the inclusion of Mullet Nightwing just makes me laugh.

Also....I am of sound mind that of all the villains in Batman's gallery---I think my fav from the show has to be Mr.Freeze or Clock King. Yeah. Clock King.

Anways once I finish my Batman collection I'm moving onto Superman. More than likely starting with Season 2 and "World's Finest".

There are seriously no other cartoons in existence that can top Bruce Timm's work. There are some that come somewhat close....but when the dust settles---they all fall before the might of Timmverse.

Well....go ahead and proclaim your love or talk about yor favorite Timm stuff.

i loved the old Batman cartoon and justice league , I'll agree they were done fantastic. They are not quiet as good as 90's spider-man or 90s x-men but still fun to watch.

The two part two face episode is one the best things ever.

Don't forget guys, the guy has some comics work under his belt...Conan # 18 anyone?

I could have sworn that there already was a general Timmverse thread. . .

Anyways, the Timmverse is fantastic. I grew up watching Batman: The Animated Series and followed most of everything after it (Superman, New Batman, Batman Beyond, Teen Titans, Justice Legaue, Justice League Unlimited). The only ones I never got into were Static Shock and The Zeta Project. I watched SS for awhile, but it just never grabbed me and I think I only watched one episode of TZP. And the movies are amazing, too. One day, I'll go out and buy the DVDs when I have cash to blow.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that there already was a general Timmverse thread. . ..

No the others were "Justice league" and " The Timmsverse is officially dead..." One about Justice league unlimited cartoon and the other Legion of Superheroes cartoon BUT people turned them in to Timmverse threads.

He's in charge of DC's direct to video animation now. I think the first story they're doing is Return of Superman. I'm pretty pumped about it.

I own all of the shows that have been released. I really am hoping they release Static Shock and Zeta Project. I'm about to start buying all of the movies, even both versions of Return of the Joker.

He's in charge of DC's direct to video animation now. I think the first story they're doing is Return of Superman. I'm pretty pumped about it.

Yeah the death and return of superman (Superman : Doomsday , I think they named it) looks like it'll be great to watch.

Last edited:
Marvel needs to grow a brain and get Timm to restart all of their sub-par cartoons. The only good ones were X-Men and Spider-Man, and those were both cheezy in a lot of parts.

Marvel needs to grow a brain and get Timm to restart all of their sub-par cartoons. The only good ones were X-Men and Spider-Man, and those were both cheezy in a lot of parts.

Its not like S:TAS and B:TAS weren't too, though. And neither Spidey nor X-Men had any episodes to my memory that I'd actually call "bad", which I can't say for S:TAS(B:TAS had only one bad episode IMO: "Batgirl Returns").

Overall, I think both Spidey and X-Men were much better shows than S:TAS was.

Last edited:
Its not like S:TAS and B:TAS weren't too, though. And neither Spidey nor X-Men had any episodes to my memory that I'd actually call "bad", which I can't say for S:TAS(B:TAS had only one bad episode IMO: "Batgirl Returns").

Overall, I think both Spidey and X-Men were much better shows than S:TAS was.

See that's why I prefer 90s Spider-man and 90's x-men to any Timmverse series

You guys are crazy.

Yeah...even Timm had some poor episodes that I normally skip over, but X-Men and Spiderman had a LOT of horrible episodes. A lot.

But even with all those poor episodes---comparing Marvel's 90s cartoons to Timm's stuff is like comparing grilled cheese sandwiches to a New Tork strip steak. There's no way they can stand up.

Of the earlier Timm stuff---Batman is obviously the superior cartoon between he and Supes. But there is no way that that anything Marvel has done could hold a LIGHTER to Timm's JL or JLU.

Of the earlier Timm stuff---Batman is obviously the superior cartoon between he and Supes. But there is no way that that anything Marvel has done could hold a LIGHTER to Timm's JL or JLU.

I preferred batman to JLU. Superman I never really liked watched it more resonatly and its fairly good. Justice league was great until they kept adding new members then it got stupid.

Batman was the strongest of them and I loved it even when they had robin , batgirl ect......

However Spider-man and X-men were much stronger IMO. Spider-man never missed a beat so to speak. Every episode was very well done even more so with the arcs they started later on like the Mutation , secret wars and all that. The censor ship issues were a bit bad as they had stuff like spider-man never punch and Morbius drain "plasma" through his hands but still most enjoyable of any marvel or dc animated cartoon.

X-men great and had a lott of great moments it's only weak points were a) the last few episodes and b) the order they were shown. However still a very good show and I felt it looked more like the comics and stories from the comics better than any animated show. That has to be a good thing been the closest to the comics.

You guys are crazy.

Yeah...even Timm had some poor episodes that I normally skip over, but X-Men and Spiderman had a LOT of horrible episodes. A lot.

Such...as? I can't think of a single one I didn't like.

But even with all those poor episodes---comparing Marvel's 90s cartoons to Timm's stuff is like comparing grilled cheese sandwiches to a New Tork strip steak. There's no way they can stand up.

I know which I'd rather eat.;)

This is true when it comes to JL/JLU, but I still say Bats, Spidey, and X-Men all take Supes apart.

You guys are crazy.

I think the Spidet and X-men do have alot more going for them than you give them credit for. They were really well written and well thought out, any problems can be attributed to a lousy animation studio and idiotic executives. The Timmsverse had the fortunate of being produced by Warner Bros which having a much better appreciation for animation. But if you take the Timmsverse as a whole (with all the shows) it blows Marvel out of the water, many more Pros than cons. But X-men and Spider-man were not that bad

I think the Spidet and X-men do have alot more going for them than you give them credit for. They were really well written and well thought out, any problems can be attributed to a lousy animation studio and idiotic executives. The Timmsverse had the fortunate of being produced by Warner Bros which having a much better appreciation for animation. But if you take the Timmsverse as a whole (with all the shows) it blows Marvel out of the water, many more Pros than cons. But X-men and Spider-man were not that bad
I agree.

Sure it's practically impossible to top the nigh perfection of the Timmsverse/DCAU productions, but that doesn't automatically mean that X-Men and Spider-Man are absolute garbage.

One thing I appreciated about them was that while they were full of aspects of the franchises that are both considered unpopular now --- intergalactic sagas in X-Men and extensive soap opera elements in Spider-Man --- they were positive representations of whatever attracted current (i.e. 90's) readers to the books.

In contrast, Timm and his gang went for a general 'timelessness' and 'non-era-specific' approach with Batman and others that was meant to represent all aspects of those franchises by embracing EVERYTHING about the character: 60s camp, the 'Great Detective' of the late 60s to early 70s or the moody dispassionate crusader of the films.

In essence, whatever one dislikes about the cartoons is largely a result of how tuned in they were to the zeitgeist of those books and their audience in the 1990s.

Latest posts

Back