Bryan Singer on Ultimate X-Men.

Re: Bryan Singer on Ultimate X-Men.

Let's just get Joss Whedon on this.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You're scrapeing the bottom of the barrell.

It's not like Singer is immediately going to dive into Superman II. He'll have time to write comics... there will be delays though. That's not unexpected though.

Well, what we've been given about him isn't much and the title is currently reading like a good number of fillers. As much as I liked Vaughan's run, that was all it was... That's why we had Sinister, Longshot, and Deathstrike show up in Magnetic North... To round them up a bit and to put them in a position where another writer could put something together. Now, with Kirkman, it's entirely filler which really upsets me. There should be a solid writer for this title. Now.

Goodwill said:
Now, with Kirkman, it's entirely filler which really upsets me. There should be a solid writer for this title. Now.

I agree, but it's not the fact that it's a filler writer...it's the fact that the story reads like a filler story.

Vaughan was a fill-in, and his run was probably the best Ultimate run we've seen outside. But because he wrote quality stories.

I absolutely agree with you. Vaughan crafted something that was lost in the rough and tumble of a developing universe. We haven't seen anything as remarkable as Vaughan did since the beginning of USM.

Now, with Kirkman, we're entertained but I'm not entirely sold on what he's building up here. Magneto was broken out of SHIELD custody, Rogue (Who had been missing) returned with little concern from the likes of even Xavier, and there is an entire other school functioned beside Xavier's but we don't know about that anymore. If there was any kind of direction to all of this it's lost now... To the Phoenix, which I'm really apprehensive about. Kirkman just needs to get comfortable writing the characters and all and I think we'll have a winning title yet again.

I completely agree with you guys 100%.

BKV had one of the best UXM runs and Kirkman's current stuff is just weak.

But he's got tons of room to improve, though. I'm not canning Kirkman entirely yet.

Goodwill said:
I'm not canning Kirkman entirely yet.

I am. The only reason I'm not dropping the title is because I know that this is a filler arc and that the series is heavily continuity based. You drop an arc....good luck on catching up.

Well, you're honest. :lol: I think Kirkman's got room to turn it around, though, because these two issues that he's written have been primarily to set the stage for the Phoenix... When the Phoenix actually arrives, tell me what you think. :)

So does this mean that Bryan Singer is off the Ultimate X-Men Project? Certainly reads that way. He seems to be very invested in Superman these days. I can't see him running back to Marvel to do Ultimate X-Men.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62759

Think of them as Superman: The Missing Years….without Superman.

Stretching his director's chair to reach across two mediums, Bryan Singer, along with Superman Returns screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris will take steps into comics in June with the release of four Superman Returns specials, filling in events not covered by the movie, and, perhaps more importantly, bridge the years-long gap between Superman II and Superman Returns.

Got that? Right – after Superman II, Superman left earth (and apparently retconned Superman III and IV clean out of existence), and in the forthcoming Superman Returns, he…returns, making the new movie a direct sequel to the 1980 film starring Christopher Reeve.

The move of bringing screenwriters in to handle the comic adventures of the same character isn't altogether new for DC – in 1989, Batman co-writer Sam Hamm wrote the three part "Blind Justice" arc in Detective Comics #598-#600. (Blade screenwriter David Goyer wrote the comic adaptation of the 1998 New Line film version of the Marvel character as well).

The four specials (which are scripted by other writers) are:

Superman Returns: Krypton To Earth

Story by Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris
Script by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
Art by John Byrne
Cover by Adam Hughes

Produced in conjunction with Superman Returns director Bryan Singer and screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, four astonishing one-shots bridge the gap between Superman II and Superman Returns!

In the first, revisit the Man of Steel's origins and see the first glimmers of what has transpired since he left the Earth at the end of Superman II!
On sale June 7 - 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Superman Returns: Ma Kent

Script by Marc Andreyko
Art by Karl Kerschl
Cover by Adam Hughes

In this second special conceived by Brian Singer and illustrated by Karl Kerschl (ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN), learn how the woman who raised the Man of Tomorrow has lived since her son's disappearance!
On sale June 14 - 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Superman Returns: Lex Luthor

Script by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
Art by Rick Leonardi
Cover by Adam Hughes

Writers Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray (MANHUNTER) is joined by artist Rick Leonardi (NIGHTWING) for a special focusing on Lex Luthor! In a world suddenly without a Superman, how does the Man of Steel's greatest foe prove his genius?
On sale June 21 - 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Superman Returns: Lois Lane

Script by Mark Andreyko
Art by Wellington Dias
Cover by Adam Hughes

Lois Lane is the focal point of this special illustrated by Wellington Dias (Touch). She loved Superman, and then he left, seemingly forever. Relive the romance and gain insight into what she's been doing in the Man of Steel's absence!
On sale June 28 - 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

No.

As reported earlier, Singer & Crew are still on the project. They could have written those a long time ago (meaning also in due why they're delayed on UXM).

I think they should just kick him off and either give Vaughan the title back or allow Kirkman to continue.

Vaughan has a lot of work on his plate.

But I dont want him to be kicked off. I mean, we haven't seen any work from them. And yes I know that's the issue at hand, but it's mostly on Marvel's fault for not coordinating that properly.

He was supposed to be on this title a year ago... I'd say it's too late rather than better late than never.

What is Vaughan doing besides Runaways?

Goodwill said:
He was supposed to be on this title a year ago... I'd say it's too late rather than better late than never.
Again, Marvel's fault for not thinking ahead.

Goodwill said:
You think he only writes one or two books? There's a lot of work he's doing at the moment, not necessarily that it's out right now.

Goodwill said:

Ex Machina, Y The Last Man, The Escapists...

I would really like for Vaughn to return to UXM one day, I really liked his run and ultimatizations. UXM needs to pick up some steam again!

Quesada said that there is still no date for the start of Bryan Singer's Ultimate X-Men arc, but it is being worked on currently.
Ya see, it's still gonna happen.

Latest posts

Back