Bryan Singer on Ultimate X-Men.

As for Singer not caring for the characters, I dont think that is true. He may favor Wolverine, but who knows that excatly? I think he can deal with a team book, 'cuz he was able to deal with them in the movies.

I'll probably drop it, but grab the HC when and if it comes out, [still waiting for Ultimate X-Men Vol. 4, come on marvel]

Well, as much as I disapprove of Singer, I will give the guy a chance. I do hope Marvel knows they are making a mistake putting this guy on a title, but there's nothing really we can do. I just hope that he writes a team book that is far from what he anticipated to do in the movies... That's asking a lot from a person that doesn't seem to look past himself and consider what the fans want, but, again, what can we do?

That's about how I feel about it, really. I don't like what I've heard of him and his plans, and I'd rather not see him on it, but it wouldn't be fair to not give him a chance. And besides, I'm an Ultimate completist; I'll pick up anything with Ultimate in the title.

I'll for sure stick around when Singer's run begins. I hope the least he could do is develop the characters in a way that suits the title and not forget they're still teenagers, not in their twenties and thirties. Please don't just start some love triangles and dumb origins just to please his movie efforts.

Hopefully he doesnt try something that he wanted to do in X3

I don't necessarily think it would be horrible if he did, as long as it makes sense with THESE characters.

Yeah, if he brought back Magneto, I would be thrilled, but I don't necessarily think that the time is right for that. You know what I mean? He seems to be doing things on his own time, not others. That's not the reason you write comic books.

I think its not just the time for Magneto to return. Maybe after a couple of more arcs or something. They just finished locking him up In issue #33. Were only on #50.

It's just not the right time yet.

Magneto needs to stay off screne for another year at minimum. The major reason being that he is largely a one trick pony. While being a very impressive, fairly realistic (in terms of hismotivations and methods - well Ultimate Magneto at least) and interesting villian (given his personal history with Xavier) there is only so much you can do with his character, and all that has been done in 616 (which is why Morrison killing him was good thing as by then he had been a spent force for almost a decade and Morisson got one really great final story out of him). On the other hand if there's a writer out there who can do something orignal with him I would applaud his return (and a return in any case would be welcome at a later date as the plot points which he is good for haven't been done yet in Ultimate). However I don't think Singer's the one to do this, he's far too tradional in his approach, which is fine for decent retellings of established themes but I can't see him doing anything new, which is what Magneto's character needs.

Blacksword you brought up a very interesting point... You said that you don't think that Singer will try anything new, but traditional. I tend to agree with you, although I never really thought about that. I never really gave him that kinda chance. Good thing I didn't because now my distaste for him is much larger!

But GW, are you at least gonna give the book a shot first? What if you end up liking his stories? You never know....... :wink:

I'm certainly gonna give his writing a chance. Any writer can potentially turn a title to crap, not just Bryan Singer. I think Singer is responsible for his own negative publicity coming out of this, however, after the comments he made about Ultimate X-Men being seen as a spin-off from the movie (again, with the ego it would seem). In the UXM hardcover vol. 1, however, we are treated to Mark Millar's original script for The Tomorrow People arc "before it was decided that the comic would be based more upon the film than the original comics", so Singer is pretty much repeating what Marvel have already printed. Also, everyone praises Vaughan for his work thus far on this title and his work on other titles and he said that, from what he had seen of it, Singer's run would put an end to all the negativity surrounding it. If he follows the continuity and style of UXM, his run should work out alright.

I'm certainly gonna give his writing a chance. Any writer can potentially turn a title to crap, not just Bryan Singer. I think Singer is responsible for his own negative publicity coming out of this, however, after the comments he made about Ultimate X-Men being seen as a spin-off from the movie

I agree completely. As apprehensive as I am about hs run, to not give it a chance would be silly, especially since we have no idea what he is capable of.

I will read his stories, because when he comes off of it, I will have my Ultimate X-Men back. I really, really think that his arrogance has gone too far this time.

Latest posts

Back