Captain America Movie

Steve Rogers singing and dancing with chorus girls?

FAIL.

No, EPIC FAIL.

That FAILS ON ICE.

That FAILs so hard I'm going to have to come up with new ways to describe it's FAILure.

Iron Man has chorus girls.

Maybe this is to show some of the difference between the two characters. What Cap despises, Iron Man loves.

And I kind of get the feeling he won't be singing and dancing, but he'll be part of the show in like an Uncle Sam sort of way. He's a symbol to raise morale for the troops, but he hates it and wants to fight. I dunno, it could be okay.

I'm not saying that the idea of Cap performing with the USO would be this huge, horrible thing.....but I just find the change to be stupid in the way of "not needed".

Cap's origin is pretty clear cut. It's an unnecessary change. What sense does it make to create a Super Soldier only to have him be a performer? Maybe if he was a soldier who was occassionally brought out as a morale booster for the troops, but just him starting out as a performer and then begrudgingly becoming the WWII warrior we all know and love? Just. Not. Needed.

I don't really think the Invaders are necessary.

That I'd have no problem with. I just don't want him performing a choreographed musical number like a star-spangled Britney Spears.

Agreed.

I'm not saying that the idea of Cap performing with the USO would be this huge, horrible thing.....but I just find the change to be stupid in the way of "not needed".

Cap's origin is pretty clear cut. It's an unnecessary change. What sense does it make to create a Super Soldier only to have him be a performer? Maybe if he was a soldier who was occassionally brought out as a morale booster for the troops, but just him starting out as a performer and then begrudgingly becoming the WWII warrior we all know and love? Just. Not. Needed.

Well they said in the interview that he wouldn't become a soldier begrudgingly...but yeah.

Exactly, there's no point. The costume does need some explaining and there's better ways to do that.

Here is my take on it... the cap we know is poignant because he is a man from the 50s today. That is what makes his story interesting. This story doesn't take place now, however, it takes place in the 50's where he is a man in his own time. We need something emotional to carry us through the film. So now we get the young man who just wants to honor his country but does not have the tools. He is given the tools and then is told he is not allowed to use them, he must instead jump around on stage as a road show clown. This is his characters central frustration. And when he is finally able to pick up arms as a symbol he has grown as character. He has realized that both the man on the lines and the figure head bring honor and he can be both. The symbol and the soldier. He can be Captain America.
They can't draw on the stories from the actual WW2 comics because they are all propaganda and have no emotional resonance. They have created this emotional resonance with the USO show and I am okay with it.
And as stated, you have it backwards, he begrudgingly becomes the sideshow... he wants to be the warrior. The way you thought it was it would be stupid, the way it is I very much like it.

Exactly, there's no point. The costume does need some explaining and there's better ways to do that.

Yes, explain in a real life setting why a several million dollar Super Soldier would be sent out in battle in bright blue chain mail and spandex, with little wings on his temples, a bright white A on his forehead and bright red buccaneer boots.

I'll be right here when you come up with an explanation.

With that said, I understand why they're going the USO route, it makes sense and will help explain the costume in a realistic manner for the majority of people who watch this movie (y'know, the ones who only have a passing knowledge of the character). The director completely explains how and why this is a justified direction for the character, and geek rage seems to have blinded everyone to it. He's one of a kind, he cost millions to make, the government isn't going to be all that excited to send him off to have a bullet put in his head.

Oh and to everyone who goes on about how "he's supposed to draw fire away from the troops, that's why he dresses like that", that explanation works great for Superman, but Steve has no powers. He's closer to Batman, he's got a shield, but that's not going to do dick against a land mine, hand grenade, or a well trained Nazi sniper.

Yes, explain in a real life setting why a several million dollar Super Soldier would be sent out in battle in bright blue chain mail and spandex, with little wings on his temples, a bright white A on his forehead and bright red buccaneer boots.

I think Random meant his WWII costume from The Ultimates (which I'm pretty sure they once said was what his main costume in the movie will be based on) doesn't really need a huge explanation, since it has a more practical look.

He's one of a kind, he cost millions to make, the government isn't going to be all that excited to send him off to have a bullet put in his head.

Hopefully they use a Time Warp Bullet, since Cap can shrug those off.

Last edited:
I think Random meant his WWII costume from The Ultimates (which I'm pretty sure they once said was what his main costume in the movie will be based on) doesn't really need a huge explanation, since it has a more practical look.

Yep, really the concept that they decided to make cap a symbol in battle so they give him a bit of a get up is just fine, as long as the get up looks realistic like Ultimates WWII. Which, if you look at it, Does not make him a walking target, adds the inspiration factor, while all using period clothing. And the USO angle while interesting is unneeded and I hoping won't waste the time in film or make the story silly. But Incredible Hulk and Iron Man have been great some I'm more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
I scooped the watcher!
huh, cool. I didn't see that one!

With that said, I understand why they're going the USO route, it makes sense and will help explain the costume in a realistic manner for the majority of people who watch this movie (y'know, the ones who only have a passing knowledge of the character). The director completely explains how and why this is a justified direction for the character, and geek rage seems to have blinded everyone to it. He's one of a kind, he cost millions to make, the government isn't going to be all that excited to send him off to have a bullet put in his head.

Oh and to everyone who goes on about how "he's supposed to draw fire away from the troops, that's why he dresses like that", that explanation works great for Superman, but Steve has no powers. He's closer to Batman, he's got a shield, but that's not going to do dick against a land mine, hand grenade, or a well trained Nazi sniper.

Skotti is right.

Latest posts

Back