Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

Just confirmed, Captain America is re-numbering to #600 with issue #51 out in well I'm guessing June, could be July

Cool. I said this in the Daredevil thread, but all of the renumbered books should go back to original numbering.

Cool. I said this in the Daredevil thread, but all of the renumbered books should go back to original numbering.

I don't know, I hate seing a series have it's numbers jump around alot. Though this is like the anti-thesis of going back to #1 for a new volume. It just feels unnecesary. Especially like in Hulk or Thor when they add in books that aren't really seperate volumes, but books with entirely new titles (Incredible Hulk, Hulk, etc.) or they count the books in the series before the character became the star (Journey into Mystery had like 83 issues before Thor showed up, but they're all included in the 600)

It's fun, I mean now I'll get to say I have #100 and #500 of Daredevil. and they usually pull out all the stops for stuff like this. but it's obvious pandering.

it's a double-edged sword I guess

I don't know, I hate seing a series have it's numbers jump around alot. Though this is like the anti-thesis of going back to #1 for a new volume. It just feels unnecesary. Especially like in Hulk or Thor when they add in books that aren't really seperate volumes, but books with entirely new titles (Incredible Hulk, Hulk, etc.) or they count the books in the series before the character became the star (Journey into Mystery had like 83 issues before Thor showed up, but they're all included in the 600)

It's fun, I mean now I'll get to say I have #100 and #500 of Daredevil. and they usually pull out all the stops for stuff like this. but it's obvious pandering.

it's a double-edged sword I guess

Here's the way I look at it - rebooting, for the most part, is nothing more than a cheap marketing gimmick, and I hate cheap marketing gimmicks (i.e. Heroes Reborn). It kind of makes sense with the beginning of Brubaker's Cap run because of what he ended up doing, but even then it's stretching it. Using the original numbering shows some pride in the book and how long it's been going, and helps give an aura of history and endurance for it, and even respect to a degree.

I do agree about the Journey Into Mystery/Thor issue (and I think Incredible Hulk had something similar if I'm not mistaken, and I know Captain America did too). But it's too late to do anything about it.

Yes, but jumping back to the original numbering is just another cheap marketing gimick. Albeit respectful, it's just as shameful. They should have number been renumbered in the first place, changing it back now is just as bad as restarting at #1 in the first place. It's not fixing a mistake, it's capitalizing on questionable math.

I love the page with Namor in the background bleeding into the water. That was pretty eerily looking.

Marvel has a cool interview up with Ed Brubaker about his run so far.

I don't read a lot of interviews so I had no idea that the original plan was only to bring back Bucky, not to have him become Cap. That's really surprising to me since his taking Cap's role has been just as major as him coming back in the first place.

The flashbacks and stuff in #50 made me remember the good old days of this comic when Steve Rogers was still Captain America and Bucky was a badass Russian weapon known as the Winter Soldier. I loved that comic. :(

I hope the next issue introduces something new and different - I seriously think this comic has been treading water for a while now and I haven't had any interest in it for at least a year. I find this sad because Ed Brubaker is one of my favourite writers and there was a time when Captain America was the perfect book... but I don't know anymore. I just find it dull.

Maybe Bucky should never have become Captain America.

CNN just leaked the new Captain America -
Barack Obama!

The real article. How boring is that? I was at least expecting something interesting like a black Captain America that resembles Will Smith like everyone else was thinking. I'm sure Brubaker/Hitch will tell a great story but why hype this into a giant media event?

Last edited:

CNN just leaked the new Captain America -
Barack Obama!

The real article. How boring is that? I was at least expecting something interesting like a black Captain America that resembles Will Smith like everyone else was thinking. I'm sure Brubaker/Hitch will tell a great story but why hype this into a giant media event?

I think they should have waited another 2 1/2 years, Bucky is doing just fine

Well, Marvel just saved me some money. I was pretty excited about buying this issue today, my first comic in a couple months, but no reason now!

I sense some misdirection here.

From the article: "The original Captain America is finally coming back," Marvel Comics editor in chief Joe Quesada told the Daily News. "We've been patiently planning for this moment for 21/2 years."

But Steve Rogers wasn't the original Captain America was he?

I sense some misdirection here.

From the article: "The original Captain America is finally coming back," Marvel Comics editor in chief Joe Quesada told the Daily News. "We've been patiently planning for this moment for 21/2 years."

But Steve Rogers wasn't the original Captain America was he?

Yes, he was.

After retcons, no, but in the real world and always and forever - yes, he was the first Captain America.

Yes, he was.

After retcons, no, but in the real world and always and forever - yes, he was the first Captain America.

Even after retcons he's still the first. Isaiah Bradley from Truth is the second, he was experimented on after Pearl Harbor while Steve was already going around in costume busting Nazi's. The whole "he was first" thing was to hype the mini. Even the preview for #600 has Rikki stating Isaiah was part of an attempt to recreate the Super-Soldier Serum.

Yes, he was.

OK, that's what I wasnt' sure of. I guess it's down to semantics and which "history" JQ is talking about.

By the way - are ALL comics shops getting #600 today? I thought they were but I called the one I go to and they had no idea what i was talking about.

OK, that's what I wasnt' sure of. I guess it's down to semantics and which "history" JQ is talking about.

By the way - are ALL comics shops getting #600 today? I thought they were but I called the one I go to and they had no idea what i was talking about.

No, they're not. I read somewhere that only certain ones were getting it today, the rest, wednesday. Can't find the link, though, but I remember cause I noted how that was odd when I read it.

Latest posts

Back