Comic Dreamcasting #25 The Amazing Spider-Man (Ends 1-19-08)

Random-*** question that may or may not apply to my cast:

Could we do this as .... a tv series?

NPH.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When Spencer Smythe, CEO of Smythe Biotech finds himself under siege by terrifying attacks from super-powered maniacs... who else steps in but the Amazing Spider-Man? But when Smythe begans to slam his good intentions, a tangled web becomes visible to Peter. Why is Smythe such a target, what is he hiding and are the villains really as clear cut as they seem?
THE WEB OF SPIDER-MAN

07-spider-man00.jpg

Introducing, from left to right:
  • Based on his portrayals of hilariously belligerent yet psychologically troubled youths from Donnie Darko and Jarhead, I bring you Jake Gyllenhaal as Peter Parker, but more importantly, as The Amazing Spider-Man.​
  • Best known to HBO fanatics as Ruth Fisher, the emotionally fragile matriarch from Six Feet Under, Frances Conroy is a fitting match to play perenially depressed widow Aunt May.​
  • If you've seen the ball-busting CEO from You Me & Dupree and the corporate raiding bad-*** from Wall Street, then you know Michael Douglas is fit to play a less comedic 'Marvel Knights'-ish J. Jonah Jameson.​
  • With a noteworthy career as an actress playing actresses in films like Factory Girl and Interview, Sienna Miller would be welcome in a supporting role as New York wannabe boheme, Mary Jane Watson.​
OUR VILLAINS ARE:

That's an award-winning cast you have there. Jeffrey Combs is perfect as Connors. The only one I'm not ok with is Sienna Miller as MJ (Michael Douglas as JJ is also kind of iffy).

Last edited:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's an award-winning cast you have there. Jeffrey Combs is perfect as Connors. The only one I'm not ok with is Sienna Miller as MJ (Michael Douglas as JJ is also kind of iffy).
I'm convinced he could pull it off, so long as viewers set their expectations to view a different JJJ.

Not the cigar-chomping laugh a minute guy that we all love to hate, for J.K. Simmons has perfected that --- he's practically irreplaceable --- but as a more modern version like the one seen in Bendis' Daredevil, who is quite the cranky ill-mannered publisher with savvy newspaper salesmanship, but a lousy conception of what 'news' is.

I may or may not replace Michael Douglas however, with someone else.

As for Miller, I'm no fan, but I think the very direction she takes in her choice of roles warrants it. I want her relegated to a background supporting role. She and Peter are basically spending more time apart.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN​

amazingspidermanug7.jpg

Jake Gyllenhaal, Malin Akerman, Maggie Smith, Tate Donovan, Bradley Cooper

Ok…if I was marketing a Spider-Man film to the general public, I'd try to build off of what Raimi has already established…yet try to move further beyond his ideals and try to work in some current 616 continuity/ideas along with it.

Amazing Spider-Man (or SM4 if you will) picks up about 4-5 years down the line in the lives of Peter and MJ. The 2 are married and Peter is out of college and has now working as a high school science teacher. It's a modest living and Peter couldn't be happier. MJ is no longer acting…but is still considered beautiful enough to model. Despite her enormous success in the modeling industry---her dissatisfaction with her current job is apparent and she strives to still become an actress. All in all, life is pretty good for the 2 of them.

Peter is still Spider-Man and in between work, MJ, his obligations to Aunt May, and Spider-Man…Peter still finds time to get together with his old friend and Professor — Curt Connors. You can imagine both of their surprise when it looks like all their hard work and research to restore Dr.Connors' arm via reptilian DNA turns out to be a success. Now that Pete's former mentor has regained his newfound role in life, everything really seems to be lining up for Parker just right.

Meanwhile, common thug, Max Dillon has been selling his body for science at the Roxxon Corp. The experimental new drugs are supposed to help offset the damaging effects Alzheimer's has on the brain. But during a bank heist, Dillon is accidentally electrocuted and pronounced dead by the cops and EMTs, only to come back to life in the morgue…thanks to his newly begotten powers. This leads to him pulling off a multitude of heists and becoming a super-powered menace across the city.

Shortly after these developments, Curt is beginning to experience some side effects to his new arm. Increased aggression, skin shedding, etc. Pretty soon he become fully enraged and transforms into The Lizard.

Double-trouble for Spidey. Obviously Spidey knows that The Lizard is Connors and vows to restore him back to his normal state.

Spiderman/Peter ParkerJake Gyllenhaal – Lovable, dorky, shy Peter Parker. Perfected by Tobey…kinda. I've always thought Tobey never really had the "hero" presence about him. But Jake's got it. He can do the quirky, nerdy, new science teacher who rambles when he gets nervous and gushes with love when he's confronted with the fact that he's married to his dream girl. But unlike Tobey, Jake can seriously do action leads.

MJ Malin Akerman – MJ is the beautiful girl next door…who happens to be on the cover of this month's Vogue…and completely in love with the greatest guy she's ever known. Akerman can do this. Why? Because it is essentially her. Look at her. You just know that she was the girl next door who grew up to be an up-and-coming actress. She's had a few key minor roles in some films but nothing really breakout…yet. Why does this sound like MJ? Because it is! And really…MJ's role here is to play the sweet vixen MJ. If Zack Snyder trusts her…so do I.

Aunt MayMaggie Smith – Really…any old woman can do this. Doesn't matter what justification you put…she could very well be Jake's old Grandma and she'd still work.

Dr.Connors Tate Donovan – The good guy gone bad by accidental. Tate's played this role before. As The O.C's Jimmy Cooper, Tate played a father who just wanted to provide for his family the best he could. He made some bad decisions but with good intentions and had to suffer the fallout. Just look at Tate…he's got the lovable good guy face---but you just know that smile can turn from heartwarming to sinister. In the early stages of aggression and transformation, I can just see Tate stammering about how all the pressure of the world is on him and his smile turns evil and pretty soon he's tossing furniture, screaming at his wife, scaring the kids, all that.

Electro Bradley Cooper – For all the reason's Bluebeast said. Electro is basically you're do anything-douchebag-thug with superpowers. And even though Cooper has displayed his innate ability to channel such douchery in "Wedding Crashers" and this season's "Nip/Tuck"…it's Cooper's eyes and maniacal smile that bring this side of Electro to life. Going for an Ultimate-look…imagine Cooper's face all sparky and blue as he stands over a fallen Spider-Man and rants about how much respect he's gonna get for being the man who dropped "The Spider" and how he's gonna run this city with Spidey gone. Cooper screaming it. Frothing at the mouth and spitting all over Peter's mask as he laces his tyrannical rant with punches to Peter's face and shocks to his crumpled body. Imagine it? Good…you know you love it!

And there you have your 2 hour Spider-Man sequel, mixing a bit of 616 and movie continuity. Plus giving you no contrived love-triangles once again. And 2 villains...which is just enough since we see that 3 villains is just too much for one film. Obviously someone like JK Simmons is just TOO perfect to recast so he'd be the one holdover from the previous films.

The key to this film is to avoid all the "connectivity" of characters the last films had. Random supervillains can be just that, random villains. They don't need to have any kind of connection to Peter. By doing this, this'll allow this film to separate itself from the others and give it legs to grow.

The key to this film is to avoid all the "connectivity" of characters the last films had. Random supervillains can be just that, random villains. They don't need to have any kind of connection to Peter. By doing this, this'll allow this film to separate itself from the others and give it legs to grow.
Thank you
Plus giving you no contrived love-triangles once again.
THANK YOU

The Amazing Spider-Man
Based on Amazing Spider-Man #471-476 by JMS

This is the Married Peter Parker. He is in his late-twenties, early thirties, his marraige is on the rocks, with MJ spending more and more time in LA and less at home with him. He is a teacher at his old high school. There would be plenty of flashbacks to his own high school days.

One night, he's out patrolling when he finds an older man climbing the wall beside him. He tells peter there might be more to his getting powers than peter ever realized before. The questioning of Spidey's origins allow us to revisit them without focusing on them.

Unbeknownst to Peter, a force is gathering in the city, a primal creature named Morlun who seeks to drain peter's life from him as he has done to countless other warriors throughout the centuries. He comes with his personal servant, Dex.

At the end of all this, Aunt May discovers Peter is Spider-Man.

And now, the cast:

paul.jpg

Paul Rudd as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Paul Rudd is the perfect older spider-man. He's got the depth and the funny, and the look. I've cast him in this role before, and would do so again.

tn2_rachel_mcAdams_1.jpg

Rachel McAdams as Mary Jane Watson-Parker
She's got the good looks, but more important than anything else when casting MJ (and what Dunst got all wrong), was the personality. MJ is intimidating and definitely wears the pants in the parker household.

879186611.jpg

Helen Mirren as Aunt May
JMS' Aunt May is my favorite iteration of the character. She's not the feisty Ultimate version, but she's sure as hell not dependent on Peter. She is the sort of person who finds out her nephew is spidey, and goes to tell JJJ that she's dropping her bugle subscription to his face. This isn't the helpless version from the current films. I am least sure of this casting, and hopefully will think up someone better.

220px-Carradine.jpg

David Carradine as Ezekiel
Aside from Rudd, this casting defined what I wanted to do with this run. Ezekiel is a father figure to Peter, but he is also a coward. At the end he helps Peter defeat Morlun, showing his underlying goodwill (hush, those of you who know the rest of JMS' run). Carradine is a perfect eccentric old man, someone who could hold his own in a scene with Rudd. He would be delightfully quirky, but you take every word he says seriously.

_40924365_dr_who_02.jpg

Christopher Eccleston as Morlun
Eccleston has this face that has always seemed vaguely inhuman to me and that's what drew me to this casting. He has the presence, and he can be rather physically intimidating.

16joseph-3-450.jpg

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Dex
Kept alive at the whim of his master, Dex wants Morlun to kill him more than anything else. He needed to look half-dead... But he has to also be the sort who is consciously resisting Morlun, particularly with his help in the monster's defeat. JGL is great at playing emotionally damaged people, and would play off of Eccleston fantastically methinks

This cast wins automatically due to David Carradine!

Round over! Mods lock this up!

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited:
That is awesome.

Rachel McAdams is a great choice.

McAdams really is a great choice. I was toying with the idea of using her, but in the end I thought she'd overshadow my Peter. So I went with someone a little more understated and less known in order to allow Jake really be the center of the attention.

I think, next to my Nextwave dreamcasting, this is the best cast that i've come up with...

I keep imagining RMcA with longer hair, and red hair, in that same picture, and I am totally digging it.

I like my cast and would love to see it as a movie , I know it probably sucks to everyone else but I actually like it and I don't say that often

I think out of all of my casts this is the one that shines the most. And props to DSF for picking the same Aunt May as me.

Latest posts

Back