Comic Dreamcasting Round 26: The Legion of Doom- Round ends 2/1

08-dc-lod-00-lex.jpg
08-dc-lod-01-sinestro.jpg
08-dc-lod-02-cheetah.jpg
08-dc-lod-03-riddler.jpg

• Harry Hamlin, who played the charismatic father and physically abusive psychopath from Veronica Mars, is the genius power-hungry hoodlum Lex Luthor (with hair). Luthor is a restless CEO who is looking for thrills and pleasures that the boardroom no longer provide.

• OH **** YOU!!!! HARRY HAMLIN!!!!

I was actually thinking of him after your critique on my first choice. Sometimes....I hate you. I think I'm gonna stick with my original for now.

[*]James Remar, the ruggedly handsome yet intense character actor who plays villainous survivalists on Battlestar Galactica and Jericho, is the rogue Lantern known as Sinestro. Sinestro is an intergalactic policeman who grew tired of coddling the weak with his role as peacekeeper.

This I approve of.

Tell me, where you thinking of him before I suggested using him for my voice casting?

[*]Rachel Griffiths, the overworked executive and suffocated housewife from Brothers & Sisters, is the insanely hedonistic Cheetah. Cheetah was a bored archaelogist with no life to speak of, until she found euphoric release in heightened senses, and a taste for the baser pleasures of life.

This is actually an inspired choice.

I've never really looked at Griffiths as the "femme fatale" type. While I can see her as a scientist, I'm having to strecth the imagination to see her all sexy-Cheetah-like....but I can see it.

[*]Michael C. Hall, the emotionally distant serial killer from Dexter, is the neurotic Riddler. The Riddler was a brilliant chess expert wrongly accused of cheating at a championship, and now commits crimes to prove his intelligence while simultaneously 'telling the truth'.

Haha! Using previously casted roles in your cast. Is that cheating? Doesn't matter because I'm doing the same in mine submission and your reasoning behind this choice is no less brilliant today as it was a couple months ago.

08-dc-lod-04-blackmanta.jpg
08-dc-lod-05-toyman.jpg
08-dc-lod-06-shade.jpg
08-dc-lod-07-giganta.jpg

• Ron Glass, the mysterious preacher with a barely concealed bad-*** past from Firefly, is the obssessive Black Manta. The Black Manta was once a marine conservationist and researcher, who lost his friends to a typhoon. Convinced the sea is ungrateful to those who would care for it, he has become a maniacal eco-terrorist.

• Dylan Baker, the sympathetic pedophile from the 1998 film Happiness, is the deeply disturbed Toyman. The Toyman was a millionaire toy designer who has begun to develop an unhealthy infatuation with the innocence and purity of children, and begins to abduct them and collect them like toys.

• Anthony Stewart Head, the rebellious young occultist who eventually becomes the mentor of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, plays the mysterious aristocratic trickster known as The Shade. The Shade is a prankster who causes mischief purely for sport, for 'the joust'.

• Katee Sackhoff, the wildly cocky ace pilot from Battlestar Galactica, plays the towering Giganta. Giganta is a smolderingly charming vixen who just wants to have fun... but what is up with her and bananas?

Hmmmm......I wish I could say that I like these choices.....but I can't. I can see all of these people playing the roles.....but I'm just not fond of the choices.

And featuring the voice of...

08-dc-lod-08-grodd.jpg

• Peter Cullen, the gravelly-throated veteran of voiceover work best known as the fatherly Optimus Prime from Transformers as Grodd. Grodd is a gorilla with the cunning intellect of a military general, and the refined sensibilities of an upper-class gentlemen.

This I like. I like a lot. Now I gotta figure out who the hell I'm gonna get to do my Grodd voice that isn't Powers Boothe or Peter Cullen?

This I approve of.

Tell me, where you thinking of him before I suggested using him for my voice casting?
I don't remember you suggesting it... or if you did, I forgot. I've been seeing a lot of James Remar lately between Galactica, Jericho and Dexter, so he's really come to fore in my mind when casting. He's got a good niche... rugged, intense, deep gravelly voice, but noted for playing villains and not heroes which is what most actors would do if they had those attributes.

Incidentally, this entire series is meant to be more low key, so I focused on the villain's background as much as I could and tried to imagine them in a more understated form. Hence the characterization I gave Luthor, instead of the fantabulously OMG he can destroy things with his mind.

Victor Von Doom said:
This is actually an inspired choice.

I've never really looked at Griffiths as the "femme fatale" type. While I can see her as a scientist, I'm having to strecth the imagination to see her all sexy-Cheetah-like....but I can see it.
I don't think of her that way either. But sexy is something she can learn to do. She certainly seemed to do it in a rather understated fashion in Six Feet Under.

But this is a CW show, and while sexiness is there, I don't want Cheetah to just be a femme fatale. I want her to be a crazy hedonist in the sense that her heightened senses free her from her boring life... I want her to start eating food just to taste it, smelling everything in her apartment kitchen countertops, licking her shoe collection, walking into a cell phone shop to fondle the latest models...

A pure synesthetic addict, basically.

Sex is part of that, I guess, but not all of it.

Victor Von Doom said:
Haha! Using previously casted roles in your cast. Is that cheating?
I initially resisted and was looking for someone else, but I figured C. Hall fit in the ensemble being put together. I also wanted to steer clear of Joker.

Victor Von Doom said:
Hmmmm......I wish I could say that I like these choices.....but I can't. I can see all of these people playing the roles.....but I'm just not fond of the choices.
I actually knew very little about the Legion of Doom members, so I had to do some research, but there was a very specific logic behind Toyman and Black Manta.

Black Manta, the only thing I knew about him was that he was an Aquaman villain. So I wanted him to be the anti-Namor. I figured the best way to go about that is to make him Ahab, from Moby Dick. The guy who loses something to nature that he swears a mad crusade against it.

In the same way that we attribute the uncontrollable forces in our lives to God, Manta puts a personality onto the whims of nature and gives a sentience to the sea. And when the sea and nature takes away his friends, he believes that it is a callous act that must be repaid with his mad crusade.

That Ahab-like quality made me want to go older, and therefore Ron Glass.

And I didn't even know about Manta's whole origin until I wiki'ed after the fact.

Toyman, I drew inspiration from a videogame character called Henry Stauf, a toymaker from the Depression who becomes a child kidnapper. I wanted him the toymaking and the child abduction to have an internal logic to one another, rather than just being two arbitrary characteristics.

But I didn't want him to be a pedophile. So how about a toymaker who has shunned the world of adults, becomes so involved in making toys that the only friends he can make, the only people he can really connect with... are children?

Enter Dylan Baker. Primarily an independent film actor, and the cast member who does the least amount of TV work, but still.

I wanted the Giganta character to be FUN, but I didn't want her to be about being sexy (Cheetah does that to some extent)... even if Katee Sackhoff playing Giganta would be sexy... I wanted it to be about her having a lot of FUN. She lightens the mood. Not inherently comic relief so much as giving the show enough buoyancy to avoid sinking into total grittiness.

Last edited:
It is.

But I thought this was a TV round?

Not that you can't cast big name actors in TV shows, but still. :p

:lol: That was my logic , that was Why I only used people from tv

Fantastic reasoning on all of those choices Ourchair. I'm waiting for Doom to cast his and then I'll unvale my cast with some modifications for Tv.

I have finalized my cast, found the pics I wanna use and am writing the reasons now. Expect it no later than tomorrow night.

I love it so.

Please tape all socks to your pants, legs or whatever is attached to your body. I don't want them to be blown off.

Last edited:
THE LEGION OF DOOM

LegionofDoom.jpg

Top: Daniel Day-Lewis, Sam Rockwell, Melinda Clarke, David Anders, Isaiah Washington
Bottom: Morgan Freeman, Kristen Bell, Kevin Weisman, Clive Owens, Josh Brolin

Lex LuthorDaniel Day-Lewis --- I wanted someone who could properly convey the 3 sides of Lex. They need to be a masterful business tactician, and at the same time a brilliant scientist, all while understanding that Lex is essentially a man possessed. He is obsessed with ending Superman…and more importantly, he has the brains and means to do so. This would almost make him the most dangerous man alive. I know Day-Lewis has been pretty hot in some of the recent casts, but anyone whose paid attention to my casts know that I don't really do "who's hot now?"…I've wanted to use Day-Lewis for some time now and I finally found a role worthy of his intensity. Just imagine a weakened Superman, with his face being beaten to a bloody pulp, and Lex is the one kneeling over him punching away. Imagine the sinister look in Lex's eyes as he sees his dream almost becoming a reality. Imagine Lex's teeth gritted in anger as he recalls all the times his plans have been foiled by some alien boy scout. Now imagine Daniel Day-Lewis' face in that role? I got chills. You?

The JokerSam Rockwell --- For the Joker, I wanted a mixture between the dark, sadistic Joker from the comics, and yet the light-hearted merriment Joker had in the animated series. I think Rockwell could make the character likable like Zaphod Beeblebrox…but at the same time allow Rockwell the freedom to really get dark with the character like Heath Ledger seems to have done. Those of you who are true fans of Rockwell's work know that this is truly an inspired choice. Just picture Rockwell standing there, smiling that huge grin of his…making with that weird chuckle that grows into a cackle…holding a knife to your throat…all while trying to get you to smile. And when you don't smile…he gets upset, rants about how the joke is ruined and puts his knife. Then tells his henchmen to just shoot you and grab the money.

CheetahMelinda Clarke --- Old enough to be believable in the prudish, scientist role…but at the same time gorgeous and sensual enough to embrace the more basic animal side. Clarke has had plenty of experience playing these femme fatale roles. And while incredibly, intensely sensual, she has the ability to make even the most serious of situations light-hearted as if life is all a game. Imagine Cheetah trying to seduce Green Lantern or Aquaman to her side of the law…and when the heroes take the high pious road…she just chuckles, flashes a sexy smile, kisses the hero, whispers into their ear "Coulda been fun…" and then claws their face right before the hero escapes his bindings. Anyone who has seen Clarke in more prominent roles, she's perfect for this.

Brainiac David Anders --- Obviously Brainiac holds all humanity in contempt and looks down upon them as inferior intellectuals to the greatest living brain ever. Have Anders take the haughty role of Brainiac and let his cold half-smile convey the condescending disgust take over. I vaguely remember him in "Alias"…but his work as "The First Superhuman" on NBC's "Heroes" has really been stuck in my mind.

Black MantaIsaiah Washington --- Meh. I'm not really a fan of the character so my basis for this casting was purely stereotypical. Washington has some pretty decent experience playing an ***hole before. So this wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Much like his role in "Romeo Must Die". I'm looking for ruthless mercenary/killer…but smooth.

Gorilla GroddMorgan Freeman --- "Where do you turn, who can you trust to deliver profound information?---It's a foregone conclusion, an absolute must.---You need Morgan Freeman Narration." No…seriously. When you need a distinctive, powerful voice that commands respect and can handle all the subtle nuances a voice would need when jumping from one emotion to the next…you can never go wrong with Morgan Freeman. What really excites me is the thought of seeing Freeman as a bad guy again. It's not often an accomplished actor gets a chance to cut loose and have fun with a role that goes against their typecasting. So to see Freeman chew up the scene as a villain would be priceless. I can just see a giant CGI gorilla trying to explain his newest invention to someone like Bizarro and then when Bizarro doesn't understand, Grodd would just get exacerbated and snidely reply "Gun go boom."….and I can just imagine all the fun Freeman would have with something like that.

GigantaKristen Bell --- I want this Giganta to be the Timmverse Giganta. No genius scientist in an accident gone wrong. Just a hot girl who used to be a monkey. The key Giganta is that despite her size, she is still just a woman (so to speak) and uses her womanly wiles to get what she wants. This would be Bell channeling her "Heroes" character....only less naive. And plus this is a chance to see a 50ft+ Bell walk around on screen in a loincloth. I am so hard right now it hurts to type.

Toyman Kevin Weisman --- I'm seeing Toyman as a more obsessive, brilliant, slightly insane tech geek rather than an old man with an obsession with toys. Weisman has that look about him that screams eccentric geek…and he's funny to boot. I think he'd work well with Rockwell and his neurotic freakouts would play greatly off the more straight-laced, serious villains of the film.

SinestroClive Owens --- Based off my GL dreamcast. Plus I like to have an even number # of people in my casts as much as possible. I didn't want someone too old....or too young. Owen fits the bill and with the proper workout plan could prove quite the imposing yet sophisticated, scene chewing villain.

BizarroJosh Brolin --- This Bizarro will be more like the dangerous Bizarro Geoff Johns/Richard Donner created in "Action Comics" rather than the Timmverse retard. Brolin already has the tough heavy brow I'm looking for. I thought his work in "Planet Terror" and "In the Valley of Elah" seemed to work perfectly for the lumbering, dim-witted, yet insanely dangerous enforcer role of Bizarro. The tough guy is back.

...........aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm spent.

Last edited:
Lex LuthorTimothy Olyphant – I think Timothy Olyphant could play the intelligence side of the character as well as his dark and twisted side which is needed. I also think he could be the lead in the show and given chance this would be pretty cool.

The JokerJames Marsters . This may not be everyone's choice and I have been avoiding casting buffy people for awhile I just think this works. He can play humourous but he can also play just crazy and insane. As well as serious. This role just fits him nicely

SinestroJulian McMahon – I chose Sinestro instead as I didn't like the idea of a giant monkey as a character as I thought there is no way to do it right on a tv mini series. So I picked Sinestro. I admit Julian McMahon is a little too young and I use him a lot BUT I honestly think for the part of Sinestro no one could do it better realistically for tv.
Olyphant, Marsters and McMahon are superbly cast, Mole.

Seriously.

I couldn't care much for the others, but those three are just all kinds of awesome.

Also, the photo you chose for McMahon conveys all sorts of awesome super-powered evil that I want to punch him in the face. Just paint his skin all red and give him a green glow and you're set.

Last edited:
Olyphant, Marsters and McMahon are superbly cast, Mole.

Seriously.

I couldn't care much for the others, but those three are just all kinds of awesome.

Also, the photo you chose for McMahon conveys all sorts of awesome super-powered evil that I want to punch him in the face. Just paint his skin all red and give him a green glow and you're set.

Thanks dude , I was wondering if any one like it.

And yeah I love that picture too and thought that would help get him over as Sinestro.

Toyman - Brad Dourif
The Toy Man is kind of small and weird looking, with beady eyes and glasses.
bradeffect.jpg
I don't know about the rest of your cast, but I just HAVE to give you absolute mad props for using Brad Dourif. I cannot understate how many awesome points you just got.

Brad Dourif could play a lot of people in the Legion of Doom. In addition to Toyman, he could be Brainiac (portrayed similarly to his DCAU incarnation), or he could be The Riddler, or The Scarecrow. Heck, I'd love to see him play the Psycho-Pirate.

Well Doom took my Luthor. Thank you sir for being as enlightened as me.

I'm mod of this round. I do whatever I want. Dance puppets, Dance!

And who won that round by the way?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back