Comic Dreamcasting Round 26: The Legion of Doom- Round ends 2/1

You Cannot Vote For This Cast. But You Must Envy It. Envy It I Say!

The Legion of Doom

I can see the series starting out like this, Luthor sitting in his prison cell watching news footage of the Justice League of America earning accolades for their contributions to society. Luthor focuses on Superman and starts fuming, until he begins to smile as a clock ticks. A bomb goes off and Luthor walks out of prison to be picked up by the Toyman. The beginning of the series would detail Luthor selecting members of his Legion to go against the heroes of their world.

Lex Luthor: Daniel Day-Lewis
255239~Daniel-Day-Lewis-Posters.jpg

Luthor is definetly the star of this series. It's not a series about s good guy trying to redeem himself, this is one about an evil bastard trying to finally kill his world's greatest hero. Luthor assembles this team because he needs them to complete his goals. He hates the super humans, but they are a necessary evil. Like Doom said, Lewis is the man to bring this sadistic plotter to life. I see Luthor behind bars at the end of the series, but he's going to take down dozens of super heroes with him before all is said and done.

The Joker: Wes Bentley
bentleyaquacj1.jpg

I'm going with the Joker in his purest form, an evil force of nature with a scary sense of humor. If anyone has seen anything that Bentley's been in, they know he makes characters come to life. Not your cookie cutter psychopath, the Joker is on the Legion just because he scares the piss out of everyone, and Luthor knows he can use that. I can see Bentley in clown make-up beating Robin with a crow bar and laughing hysterically, he just turns around and asks him if he gets the joke.

Cheetah: Shannyn Sossamon
shannyn_sossamon2.jpg

In the comics Cheetah was an anthropoligist who sold her soul for ultimate power. She wasn't ever trying to better people's lives, she was making a gain for herself. Cheetah pulls one of the lesser super heroes towards her offering peace, when she's turned down she rips their throats out with her claws. Shannyn Sossamon has a seductive quality to her, one where you would buy her as a cat goddess.

Brainiac: Hugo Weaving
05.matrix.jpg

Sure he's out to destroy the world, but Luthor's pretty confident in himself that he can kill Brainiac after the heroes are gone. Brainiac doesn't want to be with these humans, he finds them unworthy. He never felt an emotion until he met humans, and he despises them for it. Brainiac acts behind the scenes, waiting until the right moment to strike. Watch the Matrix and you'll get the vibe I want with a Brainiac. I can see Hugo Weaving doing all of that.

Black Manta: Djimon Hounsou
djimon-hounsou-2.jpg

In his role as a pirate, Manta's earned a reputation as a monster of the seas. And with his autistic problems at the fore, Manta has an unpredictable nature to him. Manta keeps to himself, stays away from the rest of the Legion, but when the situation arrises he steps in to make the kill. Hounsou has made a name for himself as playing the silent character who acts when needed. He'd be perfect for a showcase of Manta on the screen.

Gorilla Grodd: John Malkovich
MALKOVICH_narrowweb__300x411,0.jpg

I'd like to thank of Grodd as a Hannibal Lector type. He just sits in his room and gives the rest of the Legion the information they need against the super heroes. I'd like to also think that Grodd likes to mess with the rest of the Legion. Like Brainiac, Grodd doesn't get into the fights, but he likes to put the rest of the Legion in their place. I'd love to hear John Malkovich go off on a rant at Luthor and then give him the directions to the wrong location, just to prove a point.

Giganta: Isla Fisher
isla-fisher-picture-2.jpg

I don't see why Giganta has to be a giant when she's in her regular form. She's this little girl who lets her opponents' guard down before she steps on them. Giganta's not a bright girl, she's more of Grodd's lacky in the Legion. I go to Isla Fisher's insane performance in Wedding Crashers for this portrayal.

Toyman: Andy Serkis
andy-serkis-flushedaway-int-1.jpg

I see Toyman not as a pedophile, but more as a child locked in a man's body. He likes to make toys, but no one seems to like the toys he makes. And since no one likes his toys, Toyman's going to lash out like a child and kill them. I can see Andy Serkis bring that child like persona that he brought as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings. I can just see him laughing and giggling like a five year old as his toys kill his enemies.

Sinestro: Peter Stormare
stormare.jpg

Sinestro's more of a hard *** than the rest of the Legion. He was bred to be the greatest Green Lantern of all time. Hal Jordan took that away from him, however, when he revealed his nature. Sinestro's basically a fascist, wanting only order in his universe. He's joined Luthor's Legion to wipe out the chaos that resides on Earth. I think Peter Stormare can play the drill sergeant like Sinestro in the Legion. He's got that creepy stare that'll make the heroes that go up against him pee themselves.

Bizarro: Daniel Cudmore
cudmore1.jpg

I want to see Bizarro not say a single word for about the first half of the series. He just beats the super heroes to death and flies off. Bizarro's maybe the only sympathetic villain you have on the Legion, he wants to be a hero, but he can't force himself to do good. Cudmore didn't say much in X-Men the Last Stand. His character is much like Bizarro in that he's there just to get the job done. His 6'8 frame combined with the rotting face of Bizarro will make one scary villain.

Suck it Trebek!

Last edited:
You want a TV Series of EPIC proportions? I'll give you a TV series of EPIC proportions. First off, you combine humor from the empire that use to span the world, and then add some mockumentery action, and combine the stars of Hot Fuzz, UK Office, and Extras. And you'll get!!!!

THE LEGION OF DOOMY TYPE PEOPLE!​
When they ain't bickering with each other that is.....​

(Again, no pics but links to IMDB)

First off, the man with the plan. Oh, did I say man, I mean ape. Cause he's not a man, especially not a man in a gorilla suit who refuses to accept the fact he is a man dressed in a gorilla suit, and not an actual Gorilla man. Ricky Gervais as Gorilla Grodd, the man dressed in a gorilla suit, who thinks he is an actual gorilla. Hell, half the scenes he isn't even wearing the suit, and he still thinks he's a gorilla. Something his lover, Giganta, tells him all the time.

Giganta is another engima. She is a woman who doesn't like her size, not realizing it's her own unique powers that allow her to become as big as she is. Whenever she increases size, she goes on a diet, effectively making herself stick and bones. She counters this by actually never becoming big, causing a kink in 90% of the League's plans. Giganta will be played by Lucy Davis of Shaun of the Dead and UK Ofice fame.

Next up is the enigmatic Lex Luthor, the man that is as bald as an eagle, smarter than a high strung spelling bee master and frequently wets his bed due to a condition of feeling inferior to aliens. This Lex, is a devious bastard, but only when it's trying to sneak into the girl's room to take peeks at them. Lex Luthor shall be played by Karl Pilkington.

Now we have the Joker. This Joker is hardly a Joker, just a man who wanted to hang out with people that accepted him. He's deadpan, hardly makes any jokes at all and is the League's treasurer, as he is the only one of the League that is trusted enough to handle it's finances. He frequently walks around with a custard pie, or a rubber chicken, or a whoopee cushion, in an attempt to get people to think he is a Jokester. Joker will be played by Stephen Merchant.

Look out! It's Brainiac! He's a robot, he's all powerful, he's….a man wrapped in tinfoil? Brainiac is a man, who has a rare disease, in which he needs to be surrounded by aluminum all the time or he dies. Taking this into consideration, he decided to become a supervillian, and destroy the world that harassed him so. He is probably the only one in the League that actually commits any crimes, even if it is Jaywalking. Martin Freeman is the man behind the tinfoil.

We all heard of the old cat lady from down the street. What if she wasn't old? What if she actually hated cats? What if she liked catnip? Then she would be Cheetah, the woman who hates cats but loves catnip. She dresses up in the cat costume because she thinks it makes her more socially accepted in the world. Frequently, their capers get derailed because Cheetah is trying to make some guy admit to her she's beautiful. Ricky Gervais' partner in Extras, Ashely Jensen will play Cheetah.

Obsessed with toys? As a kid needed to have the newest toy available? Get in line to only see the person in front of you bought the rest of them? Nefarious! Toyman frequently gets in line when the newest toy hits the market, and buys it all so no boy or girl will be happy in the world ever again! All because his parents never bought him an Easy Bake Oven when he was a kid because it was for girls. Toyman will be portrayed by Mackenzie Crook from Pirates of the Caribbean and UK Office fame.

What is the true opposite of perfection? Not someone as equally powerful and only speaks opposite of what he means. But someone who sits around in the living room all day, throwing trash around, quit the boy scouts, plays video games, breaks all of Toyman's valuable toys, and sleazily hits on Cheetah all day long. Bizarro is his name, and burping is what he does best. Bizarro will be played by Nick Frost from Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.

So, you are the inventor of the best Scuba Suit around, but you can't make it fashionable, affordable, or even workable, so you have to resort to crime to pay off the investor loans. But since your crime sucks, you instead put advertisements on your suit, forcing you to wear it all day long, but at least giving you some income. Black Manta is a failed inventor, who now is in crime only to pay off his loans that he acquired to invent his suit of scuba awesome, the Scuba Suit AWE32421.57483. He sucks at naming things too. Simon Pegg will play Black Manta. He has been in movies such as Hot Fuzz and Mission Impossible III.

These episodes will be a half hour long, feature a caper that gets foiled everytime by one of their own, and be shot in Office format. Dry humor, mockumentry type deal. I envision awesomness.

Last edited:
Houde that is one of the funniest ideas for a show, EVER.

Indeed.

While the casting is spot on in some parts, it feels a lot like Extras or a standard Simon Pegg film. But that's just due to the fact that you have a cast that pulls heavily from thier 2 respective projects.

So it's like "The Office" only with supervillains. To be honest, this entry should win based off originality alone.

Houde that is one of the funniest ideas for a show, EVER.

Indeed.

While the casting is spot on in some parts, it feels a lot like Extras or a standard Simon Pegg film. But that's just due to the fact that you have a cast that pulls heavily from thier 2 respective projects.

So it's like "The Office" only with supervillains. To be honest, this entry should win based off originality alone.

Thanks guys.

The Joker: Wes Bentley
bentleyaquacj1.jpg

I'm going with the Joker in his purest form, an evil force of nature with a scary sense of humor. If anyone has seen anything that Bentley's been in, they know he makes characters come to life. Not your cookie cutter psychopath, the Joker is on the Legion just because he scares the piss out of everyone, and Luthor knows he can use that. I can see Bentley in clown make-up beating Robin with a crow bar and laughing hysterically, he just turns around and asks him if he gets the joke.
I would've approved of Bentley wholeheartedly without hesitation two years ago, but after Ghost Rider in which he looked like a bedwetter playing goth (my girlfriend says that everytime he makes an 'evil plan' smile he looks like he's thinking, "Mmmmm.... chocolate!").

That said, one movie isn't enough to completely ruin an actor for me, so I guess he has the chops to pull it off... given that his performance is coached correctly.

bluebeast said:
Cheetah: Shannyn Sossamon
shannyn_sossamon2.jpg

In the comics Cheetah was an anthropoligist who sold her soul for ultimate power. She wasn't ever trying to better people's lives, she was making a gain for herself. Cheetah pulls one of the lesser super heroes towards her offering peace, when she's turned down she rips their throats out with her claws. Shannyn Sossamon has a seductive quality to her, one where you would buy her as a cat goddess.
Given the resolute self-seriousness of the portrayal you've suggested here, I think Sossamon is perfectly cast for this. Thumbs up.

Brainiac: Hugo Weaving
05.matrix.jpg

Sure he's out to destroy the world, but Luthor's pretty confident in himself that he can kill Brainiac after the heroes are gone. Brainiac doesn't want to be with these humans, he finds them unworthy. He never felt an emotion until he met humans, and he despises them for it. Brainiac acts behind the scenes, waiting until the right moment to strike. Watch the Matrix and you'll get the vibe I want with a Brainiac. I can see Hugo Weaving doing all of that.
Hugo Weaving can pull off the right tone of condescension but cooperativeness that you want from this Brainiac. It's usually hard for me to buy a pantheon of genre film all-stars, but between him, Bentley and Sossamon so far, you've assembled them well.

Black Manta: Djimon Hounsou
djimon-hounsou-2.jpg

In his role as a pirate, Manta's earned a reputation as a monster of the seas. And with his autistic problems at the fore, Manta has an unpredictable nature to him. Manta keeps to himself, stays away from the rest of the Legion, but when the situation arrises he steps in to make the kill. Hounsou has made a name for himself as playing the silent character who acts when needed. He'd be perfect for a showcase of Manta on the screen.
Djimon Hounsou is an ocean-based eco-terrorist pirate. Sold.

Sinestro: Peter Stormare
stormare.jpg

Sinestro's more of a hard *** than the rest of the Legion. He was bred to be the greatest Green Lantern of all time. Hal Jordan took that away from him, however, when he revealed his nature. Sinestro's basically a fascist, wanting only order in his universe. He's joined Luthor's Legion to wipe out the chaos that resides on Earth. I think Peter Stormare can play the drill sergeant like Sinestro in the Legion. He's got that creepy stare that'll make the heroes that go up against him pee themselves.
Plus points for using a photo of Peter Stormare from The Brothers Grimm, which is like some kind of awesome. I don't really think Stormare is a perfect fit for "the definitive" Sinestro that fans know, but I do think the choice is still great. I kind of see Stormare as a sleazy, rambling evil Sinestro, rather than the calculatingly dignified omnipotent bastard we know, and that makes your choice absolutely inspired.

Be that way Squinty Eyes.

You are taking your sweet time though.
The short answer is that your cast is total genius hilarity awesomeness.

But how often do you see me make a cast comment post that is THAT short, if not at least three paragraphs long?

Last edited:
Trust me....Ourchair is very thorough when it comes to dreamcasting. Organizing one's thoughts on another's reasoning for casting is a tough thing.

The short answer is that your cast is total genius hilarity awesomeness.

But how often do you see me make a cast comment post that is THAT short, if not at least three paragraphs long?

You both make fair points.

But I was dieing to see his opinion on my cast, that's all.

Well, I'm about to turn in, but you'll get it tomorrow.

Meaning about twelve hours from now as it is midnight here right now.

lightweight. i went to sleep at 3am. The i woke up at 6am to shower and get ready for work, ate a bagel, coffee! and then off to get work mail from a po box. I've had 9 cups so far.

lightweight. i went to sleep at 3am. The i woke up at 6am to shower and get ready for work, ate a bagel, coffee! and then off to get work mail from a po box. I've had 9 cups so far.
I usually go to bed at 4:30 am.

I'm trying to turn in earlier because I have a job application tomorrow.

I am notorious for only fleeing to bed when the sun rises. My lastfm stats are unfortunate proof of this.

Also, that you love coffee is awesome. There is too much coffee hate on this board.

Last edited:

I usually go to bed at 4:30 am.

I'm trying to turn in earlier because I have a job application tomorrow.

I am notorious for only fleeing to bed when the sun rises. My lastfm stats are unfortunate proof of this.
Bah!

Over the winter break I was up so late I was waking up at 6 am (trust me, it does make sense)

I go to bed at 10

Houde needs his scientist beautification sleep.
Beauty AND the geek, all in one. :)

I never understood the culture of 'I sleep less than you' as everyone I know has proven that they are not immune to the effects of sleep.

Everyone needs about 5-8 hours of sleep. Some people I know sleep 3 hours a day, but they never get anything done.

That said, I try to get six hours a day, it is merely incidental that i happen to do it between 4 and 12 noon. Which sucks, because I love breakfast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back