Comic Dreamcasting Round 26: The Legion of Doom- Round ends 2/1

When I graduated college, I could go on about three hours a sleep a day, but that's cause I hated to sleep then, cause I Felt like I was wasting time.

I still feel like I am wasting time when I sleep, but I need more of it now to operate like I want to in a day.

But this isn't a thread for that type of talk.

This is a thread about the Casting of the Legion of Doom.

Last edited:
THE LEGION OF DOOMY TYPE PEOPLE!​
When they ain't bickering with each other that is.....​

First off, the man with the plan. Oh, did I say man, I mean ape. Cause he's not a man, especially not a man in a gorilla suit who refuses to accept the fact he is a man dressed in a gorilla suit, and not an actual Gorilla man. Ricky Gervais as Gorilla Grodd, the man dressed in a gorilla suit, who thinks he is an actual gorilla. Hell, half the scenes he isn't even wearing the suit, and he still thinks he's a gorilla. Something his lover, Giganta, tells him all the time.
That is wonderful. I think this is a cleverer idea than you realize simply because it turns the entire idea of Grodd on its head.

After all, Grodd is essentially a gorilla who fancies himself as some kind of well-mannered but ruthlessly cunning tactician. But Gervais as a delusional fool in a gorilla suit makes me think of him now as a working-class schlub who has fantasies of being a dangerous gorilla.

Ultimate Houde said:
Giganta is another engima. She is a woman who doesn't like her size, not realizing it's her own unique powers that allow her to become as big as she is. Whenever she increases size, she goes on a diet, effectively making herself stick and bones. She counters this by actually never becoming big, causing a kink in 90% of the League's plans. Giganta will be played by Lucy Davis of Shaun of the Dead and UK Ofice fame.
Absolute plus points for using Lucy Davis. I'm not normally a stark raving fan of British comedians like many fans of Anglophonic pop culture are (as I don't buy into the 'British do it better' cult. Even if they um, actually do do it better sometimes.)

But Lucy Davis is wonderful as this version of Giganta, a physically insecure woman who just can't seem to revel in the sheer joy of stretching the limits of the human body's dimensions.

Ultimate Houde said:
Now we have the Joker. This Joker is hardly a Joker, just a man who wanted to hang out with people that accepted him. He's deadpan, hardly makes any jokes at all and is the League's treasurer, as he is the only one of the League that is trusted enough to handle it's finances. He frequently walks around with a custard pie, or a rubber chicken, or a whoopee cushion, in an attempt to get people to think he is a Jokester. Joker will be played by Stephen Merchant.
I love Stephen Merchant. He's one of the best things about Extras, and I think he has a wonderful ability of making deadpan innocence look extremely mischievous, so while I'm not totally sold on the idea of this Joker, he is perfectly cast to it and makes the idea sound like it would work wonderfully.

Ultimate Houde said:
Obsessed with toys? As a kid needed to have the newest toy available? Get in line to only see the person in front of you bought the rest of them? Nefarious! Toyman frequently gets in line when the newest toy hits the market, and buys it all so no boy or girl will be happy in the world ever again! All because his parents never bought him an Easy Bake Oven when he was a kid because it was for girls. Toyman will be portrayed by Mackenzie Crook from Pirates of the Caribbean and UK Office fame.
MacKenzie Crook, insane conqueror of toy collecting. Nothing more needs to be said. ESPECIALLY because it's MacKenzie Crook who is easily one of the best things about Pirates and made Pirates 2 & 3 tolerable.

Now if only you had a place for Lee Arenberg. He'd make a great Grodd, a comedic one even, but for reasons different from the Ricky Gervais Grodd.

Ultimate Houde said:
So, you are the inventor of the best Scuba Suit around, but you can't make it fashionable, affordable, or even workable, so you have to resort to crime to pay off the investor loans. But since your crime sucks, you instead put advertisements on your suit, forcing you to wear it all day long, but at least giving you some income. Black Manta is a failed inventor, who now is in crime only to pay off his loans that he acquired to invent his suit of scuba awesome, the Scuba Suit AWE32421.57483. He sucks at naming things too. Simon Pegg will play Black Manta. He has been in movies such as Hot Fuzz and Mission Impossible III.
I love Black Manta, and having him played by a Simon Pegg in the same fashion he portrayed a disgruntled customer service operator in Big Nothing would make this ideal.

I love it.

I think this series should be called The Doomed, though.

Now I don't know who to vote for.

But this wins points not just for originality but actual excellence as well.

I won't go edit my cast.

At last someone agrees with what I always say. I always see posting it as the final cast. The only things I change is I bold names if I left one off or add a new picture if last one didn't respond.

I lover Extras, but I still can't wrap my head around a joke British version of the Legion of Doom. Call me old fasioned but I want raving psychopaths for my super villains. I do think your logic on it is flawless though so you get bonus points for that and originallity.

Come on now.:sure:

I'm a jokester, I call em as I see em.

I lover Extras, but I still can't wrap my head around a joke British version of the Legion of Doom. Call me old fasioned but I want raving psychopaths for my super villains. I do think your logic on it is flawless though so you get bonus points for that and originallity.

That was the point of it, to see it in a different light than everyone else was doing. You guys went the dramatic route, and I'm not even going to try to top some of those casts, so I decided to go a different route to take on the big casts of people. I hope mine stands out enough to win.

I'm a jokester, I call em as I see em.

That was the point of it, to see it in a different light than everyone else was doing. You guys went the dramatic route, and I'm not even going to try to top some of those casts, so I decided to go a different route to take on the big casts of people. I hope mine stands out enough to win.

If you take it as the kind of parody you were going for then it's perfect. I like it very much. Especially Ricky Gervaise as a man in a monkey suit as Grodd.

What do you call that?
A tiny remark after an epic long examination.

It's like writing a review of the entire extended edition of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and submitting for magazine publication and the only words are: "It was kinda cool but CGI still looked fake."

Or conversely, saying the entire four hours of the uncut Dances With Wolves "needed more explosions."

Work with me here, science man!

Okay, fine, here's my extended review of your extended review.

That is wonderful. I think this is a cleverer idea than you realize simply because it turns the entire idea of Grodd on its head.

You see, here you are thinking the person who wrote the original piece did not know this. He did, and in fact, and i hurt emotional as well as physically by your comment. Not a good beginning here.

After all, Grodd is essentially a gorilla who fancies himself as some kind of well-mannered but ruthlessly cunning tactician. But Gervais as a delusional fool in a gorilla suit makes me think of him now as a working-class schlub who has fantasies of being a dangerous gorilla.

I love how when you describe him as well mannered, you use big words. When you describe him as a schlub, your choice of words change to suit the comment. Well done.

Absolute plus points for using Lucy Davis. I'm not normally a stark raving fan of British comedians like many fans of Anglophonic pop culture are (as I don't buy into the 'British do it better' cult. Even if they um, actually do do it better sometimes.)

But Lucy Davis is wonderful as this version of Giganta, a physically insecure woman who just can't seem to revel in the sheer joy of stretching the limits of the human body's dimensions.

I love how you try to at least use the word, Anglophonic in every one of your posts. And the vision of Lucy Davis, stretching to her limits, needs me to go to the bathroom for a few. Nice choice of words there as well.

I love Stephen Merchant. He's one of the best things about Extras, and I think he has a wonderful ability of making deadpan innocence look extremely mischievous, so while I'm not totally sold on the idea of this Joker, he is perfectly cast to it and makes the idea sound like it would work wonderfully.

Good job critiquing here. It shows that while you do enjoy the premise of the show, you won't show complete satisfaction with it. It shows that you always look to improve on things, and well, that's a talent we like around here.

MacKenzie Crook, insane conqueror of toy collecting. Nothing more needs to be said. ESPECIALLY because it's MacKenzie Crook who is easily one of the best things about Pirates and made Pirates 2 & 3 tolerable.

Now if only you had a place for Lee Arenberg. He'd make a great Grodd, a comedic one even, but for reasons different from the Ricky Gervais Grodd.

Ah, again here you show you aptitude of trying to find greatness, and make it better. Good show.

I love Black Manta, and having him played by a Simon Pegg in the same fashion he portrayed a disgruntled customer service operator in Big Nothing would make this ideal.

I love it.

I think this series should be called The Doomed, though.

Now I don't know who to vote for.

But this wins points not just for originality but actual excellence as well.

Good ending paragraph, summed up your review nicely, and leaves the person reviewed in a good light.

I love it.

Seriously.

You see, here you are thinking the person who wrote the original piece did not know this. He did, and in fact, and i hurt emotional as well as physically by your comment. Not a good beginning here.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ultimate Houde said:
I love how you try to at least use the word, Anglophonic in every one of your posts. And the vision of Lucy Davis, stretching to her limits, needs me to go to the bathroom for a few. Nice choice of words there as well.
While I am notorious for my choice of overly verbose phraseology, I only use "Anglophonic" not because it sounds fancy --- even though it does --- but because it's easier than saying, "American & British & Canadian" and "Anglophonic" is clearly a pop culture-verse that entertains not just Americans, Canadians or Brits but anyone who is well-versed in English-speaking culture, like say Filipinos.

Ultimate Houde said:
Good job critiquing here. It shows that while you do enjoy the premise of the show, you won't show complete satisfaction with it. It shows that you always look to improve on things, and well, that's a talent we like around here.
I like to be sincere in compliments. Seriously. As it is, I think emphasizing that I'm not sold on the idea only further highlights how amazing I think something else, which in this case, is the casting.

Ultimate Houde said:
I love it.

Seriously.
:heart:

LEGION OF DOOM!

Luthor.jpg

Lex Luthor - Julian McMahon

Joker-1.jpg

The Joker - Crispin Glover

Cheetah.jpg

Cheetah - Jamie Pressley

Brainiac.jpg