Comics you haven't read but should

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Everyone has a comic they haven't read but probably should. We've all heard about how good Watchmen and Sandman are, but how many of us have read them?

I can think of a couple of comics I haven't read but definitely need to.

• Sandman - I've dismissed it in the past, but I've decided to persevere with it. I'm up to Volume 4 but I can't cross it off my list until I've read all of it.
  • Starman - I've read a couple of trades which were pretty decent, but they were all out of order. I'd love to read this entire series in order, but with all the different collections, it's quite difficult. One day.
  • Swamp Thing - I've only had the chance to read one trade of this and I put it down. I couldn't get into it. The fact it was Volume 3, the art was messy and I didn't know what was happening didn't help. Again, I plan to read all of Alan Moore's run one day.
  • Doom Patrol - I have this on my computer, it's just a matter of time before I do read it. I am scared of this though.
  • The Invisibles - I've read a couple of issues and forgot about it. I'll probably get the trades in the future just because it's so much easier to read comics (especially ones by Moore and Morrison) on paper rather than on the screen.

That's all I can think of at the moment. What about you guys?

Maus. I need to read Maus.

And I should probably give The Invisibles a new try. I read Volume 1 years ago and it was a bit too off for me, but I re-read the first issue a month or so back and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Otherwise I think I do a good job of diversifying and reading the classics.

Huh. I thought this was going to be a "post a comic you've read that no one else has and that they should" and I was going to be all over "Mark Millar's Adventures of Superman issues".

Runaways. The original BKV run. I have it in hardcovers and have only read the first - it's next on my list after I'm done with Swamp Thing.

Huh. I thought this was going to be a "post a comic you've read that no one else has and that they should" and I was going to be all over "Mark Millar's Adventures of Superman issues".

You can do that as well.

Transmetropolitan is another I need to read. I've tried it before but it was just too weird for me.

Maus is great. I should read that again.

And everyone should read From Hell. Not only is it possibly Moore's best work, but it's a magnificent book in general.

Last edited:

Same. Robert Kirkman. Invincible. Not enough people reading it.

Anyway, I really want to start reading the Ultimate trades from back when that universe was actually apparently quite good (mainly everything by Millar). I love the idea that the only reference for Ultimate X-Men were the first two movies and a handful of information.

Maus and Maus II. I really should. It won a Pulitzer, after all.

Watchmen. Yes, I should, and no, I'm not going to. I got about halfway through it and bailed. The characters were mostly unsympathetic and I just couldn't get into it. My director at the library read it and described it as the most depressing thing he's ever read. He added that he now refuses to see the movie because he's afraid he'll end up slashing his wrists.

And I should probably read some of the Naruto and Avatar: the Last Airbender books just to see what the fuss is about.

Watchmen. Yes, I should, and no, I'm not going to. I got about halfway through it and bailed. The characters were mostly unsympathetic and I just couldn't get into it. My director at the library read it and described it as the most depressing thing he's ever read. He added that he now refuses to see the movie because he's afraid he'll end up slashing his wrists.

:lol::lol::lol:

And I should probably read some of the Naruto and Avatar: the Last Airbender books just to see what the fuss is about.

I didn't realize that there were Avatar books, I can't help but feel they'd fail compared to the animation though. Naruto's okay, but One Piece and Fairy Tail are way better.

I'm actually ordering my library the first season of Avatar on DVD. The books seem to be quite popular, so I'm guessing the DVDs will circulate quite a bit as well.

Just out of curiosity, what rating would you give Fairy Tail and One Piece? PG? PG-13?

Just out of curiosity, what rating would you give Fairy Tail and One Piece? PG? PG-13?

Hmm, well the translations I've read are fan made so I'm not sure how much the blood and (occasional) language get edited in the official version. Based on what I've seen I'd give them a low PG-13, because while some characters will bleed a lot, there's hardly any deaths. You could probably rate them whatever you're going to rate Naruto.

I can cross Sandman off my list. I eventually finished the whole series, including some of the spinoffs and actually enjoyed it. It got a lot better as it went along. I think I read the last three or four volumes in a day or two because it got so exciting.

My library only has a random bunch of Starman TPBs so I still haven't read all of it. It does seem to have most of Swamp Thing, especially Moore's run, so I'll start reading that.

Still haven't read The Invisibles and Doom Patrol. I've got the first TPB of the latter reserved though.

I have read The Walking Dead which is one of the best serialised stories I've read. It's insane and I love it. Best Image title? Probably.

I've also started 100 Bullets though I've only read the first couple. I'm going to enjoy catching up on this.

Tried DMZ but didn't care for it. I'll try the second volume since a lot of people say it gets better.

Another one I need to read: Zenith. Once I read that, The Invisibles and Doom Patrol, I think I'll have read nearly everything Morrison has written.

One Piece'd be PG-13 if you read the online translations. The Viz translation is definitely PG.

It's a great manga, though, and I'd recommend it over Naruto.

Runaways. The original BKV run. I have it in hardcovers and have only read the first - it's next on my list after I'm done with Swamp Thing.

Done.

Sandman by Neil Gaiman

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis (although I tried it once and it was too self-indulgent for my tastes)

Superman Birthright (which I don't really have any interest in, but it seems like something I should)

Ex Machina (read the first trade and liked it enough, but it hasn't been high priority to finish)

Crisis on Infinite Earths

Sandman by Neil Gaiman

That would be on my list too.

My others would be
Batman : Long Halloween, Batman Dark victory (b oth of these I own just not read yet along with a few comics)
Ultimates V2
Ultimate Team up
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Batman : Long Halloween

Batman Dark victory

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Yep, same here. Batman: Hush as well, even though I would find it hard to read anything by Loeb ever again.

Yep, same here. Batman: Hush as well, even though I would find it hard to read anything by Loeb ever again.

I only read that a month or two ago. I loved hush I didn't even know who it was by :lol: I just picked up and it was cool as hell.

For me the big ones:

Cerberus - Dave Sims
Love and Rockets - Hernandez Brothers
From Hell - Alan Moore

I think From Hell is the best thing Alan Moore has done.

Latest posts

Back