Criminal (Brubaker) - series discussion (spoilers)

Re: Criminal Series Discussion (Spoilers)

The dialogue and the art really fits with the story. I'm really looking gorward for the next one.

4/5

I just finished Issue 2.

The plan? Clever.

The betrayal? Better than expected.

The escape? Who doesn't like Michael Cain's Italian Job?

The art? ****ing perfect.

I love this book. I love it so much I buy it twice.

I just finished Issue 2.

The plan? Clever.

The betrayal? Better than expected.

The escape? Who doesn't like Michael Cain's Italian Job?

The art? ****ing perfect.

I love this book. I love it so much I buy it twice.

Agreed. The betrayal is very interesting. What the hell is going on? So many good characters in this too. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to break out of traditional Marvel Superhero reads.

There were like 8 pages of repeated pages throughout the issue and they weren't even consecutive. I plan on getting the trade but I mostly read through comics at the store and this didn't make it easy to follow at all. I got confused. But yeah, Marvel probably ruined a very good issue as far as I could tell. Some other members from Jinxworld had the same problem.

So it was a printing error? I'm confused.

If anyone can help:

Ed Brubaker said:
We've got the first Criminal trade book coming out in early May, and I'm trying to get it into the hands of, and get coverage by, as many print journalism places as I possibly can. I know, I know, print is dead, blah blah blah... but the only times I've seen significant effect from interviews and articles about my work is when they were in weekly or daily papers, or even college newspapers. Those are the times I've heard of people coming into stores specifically looking for my books. So, print may be dead, but as long as those who read it aren't, they're a decent target audience, I guess.

Anyway, my point is, if you're a journalist for a daily, weekly, or college paper, or if you work for a high-profile online mag like Salon or Slate, and you'd be interested in covering the book or interviewing me for its release, please email me at: [email protected]

And if you aren't a journalist, but you live somewhere where one of your local papers covers graphic novels, write me and give me the name of the paper and who I should send stuff to there.

This is the kind of thing that myspace is for, right?

There were like 8 pages of repeated pages throughout the issue and they weren't even consecutive. I plan on getting the trade but I mostly read through comics at the store and this didn't make it easy to follow at all. I got confused. But yeah, Marvel probably ruined a very good issue as far as I could tell. Some other members from Jinxworld had the same problem.

Glad I didn't have that problem.

And everyone go buy the trade when it comes out. Brubaker said this the only way we're getting Hardcovers and a format whore like me needs this in an oversized hardcover.

Glad I didn't have that problem.

And everyone go buy the trade when it comes out. Brubaker said this the only way we're getting Hardcovers and a format whore like me needs this in an oversized hardcover.

I'm there.

Crap in a hat was issue 6 good. Has anyone else read it or am I going to have no one to talk to about it?

Last edited:
...I somehow edited away my last post. I guess its moot since the issue it was previewing is out, but still...

I'll have something to post here shortly. I was reading the issues before I switched to trade, and I have the first trade on order. I only read the first 2 or 3 issues so I have to catch up once I get it.

Well, I got the TPB in the mail the other day and have read it. I moved it up in the stack - I have a TON of books to read.

I really enjoyed it...Leo is likable if only because you feel sorry for him, especially after his woman gets shot.

I'll be the n00b here and ask the lame question that obviously was not meant to be answered - is he dead or did he make it? Maybe I shouldn't ask that - I haven't read past #5 yet.

But it's a cool story and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes crime-type books. There's no detective angle or anything like that which takes some of the depth out of it, but it doesn't hurt it as a whole. I'll definitely keep reading anyway.

I'll be the n00b here and ask the lame question that obviously was not meant to be answered - is he dead or did he make it? Maybe I shouldn't ask that - I haven't read past #5 yet.

He made it. Brubaker mentioned he'd show up in the Lawless arc in the backmatter, and the dialog as he started bleeding out, something to the effect of "killing is easy, dieing is hard" suggests that he just can't do it fast enough.

And there's only one issue past 5. :wink:

Are me and Baxter the only ones here reading this book?

Are me and Baxter the only ones here reading this book?

I read it. But like I said before - I find it so boring, it's hard to remember what happened and therefore I don't have much to discuss.

It's written and drawn well though.

Latest posts

Back