Daredevil reboot

T_Montalbano

Kevin Feige has stated "there are many more stories to be told with old Hornhead and we'd love to tell them someday." Avi Arad has also said that a sequel will begin development once the rights go from 20th Century Fox to Marvel Studios. Director Mark Steven Johnson showed interest in returning to direct with the Born Again storyline, as well as suggesting Mr. Fear as a possible villain.

During 2004, Ben Affleck shot a cameo role for the spin-off film, Elektra, at the request of Daredevil co-star Jennifer Garner. In October 2004, Affleck stated he would only return in the lead role if Fox would renegotiate to tell the darker stories of Daredevil, and showed interest in a Kevin Smith graphic novel which included Mysterio, as well as the Born Again storyline. However, in November 2006 Affleck stated that he would never reprise the role, having felt "by playing a superhero in Daredevil, I have inoculated myself from ever playing another superhero... Wearing a costume was a source of humiliation for me and something I wouldn't want to do again soon."

In July 2006, Michael Clarke Duncan showed interest in returning for the role of the Kingpin, but stated that he would not be willing to gain weight as he felt "comfortable" being down to 270 pounds. However, he jokingly showed willingness to change his mind if he was offered $20 million. Duncan suggested that the character is portrayed to have been training a lot in jail in order to become faster in combat against Daredevil, also working as a way fit his weight loss into the story.

In July 2008, Jason Statham had expressed interest in appearing as Daredevil in the future. Statham requested "just give me the chance, I would love to be Daredevil." Frank Miller agreeably pined in, adding "I think he should be Daredevil too." In October 2008, 20th Century Fox executive Tom Rothman said that "a Daredevil reboot is something we are thinking very seriously about." Rothman added that "what it really needs is, it needs a visionary at the level that [The Dark Knight director] Chris Nolan was. It needs someone, it needs a director, honestly, who has a genuine vision."

Daredevil could almost be like the Batman Begins series if you could come up with a good way to make it it's own story

Matthew "Matt" Murdock/Daredevil -- Bruce Wayne/Batman
Franklin "Foggy" Nelson -- Alfred Pennyworth
Tony Stark -- Lucius Fox
"Battling Jack" Murdock -- Thomas Wayne
Elektra Natchios -- Rachel Dawes
Wilson Fisk/Kingpin -- Carmine Falcone
William "The Beaut" Russo -- Sal Maroni
Benjamin Poindexter/Bullseye -- The Joker
Frank Castle -- Harvey Dent
S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Nick Fury -- Sergeant James "Jim" Gordon
General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross -- Commissioner Gillian B. Loeb
Stick -- Henry Ducard/Ra's al Ghul
Jean DeWolff -- Anna Ramirez

Last edited:
Daredevil could almost be like the Batman Begins series if you could come up with a good way to make it it's own story

Matthew "Matt" Murdock/Daredevil -- Bruce Wayne/Batman
Franklin "Foggy" Nelson -- Alfred Pennyworth
Tony Stark -- Lucius Fox
"Battling Jack" Murdock -- Thomas Wayne
Elektra Natchios -- Rachel Dawes
Wilson Fisk/Kingpin -- Carmine Falcone
William "The Beaut" Russo -- Sal Maroni
Benjamin Poindexter/Bullseye -- The Joker
Frank Castle -- Harvey Dent
S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Nick Fury -- Sergeant James "Jim" Gordon
General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross -- Commissioner Gillian B. Loeb
Stick -- Henry Ducard/Ra's al Ghul
Jean DeWolff -- Anna Ramirez

You wouldn't want a DD film to be a complete Batman begins clone though.

Shouldn't this be in the Comic movie section?

And to be honest, there is a lot more characters I'd like to see hit the big-screen before DD gets another chance. Don't get my wrong I like me some DD, but his time has passed for now when it comes to the big screen.

But at the very least get the rights the **** away from FOX

Surprizing I don't want this to be rebooted. I'd much prefer a requel. Because where the last one left off made a very interesting set up for the sequel, The Kingpin has just been beaten and knows DD's identity. A cool set up, as long as they don't redo the origin I'll be fine

This should be moved into the comics movie discussion.

I read about Statham as DD before, and I approve. Though I think a better match is Colin Farrell --- who established a reputation for playing unassuming young men in films like SWAT, Phone Booth, et al --- as Matt Murdock vs. Jason Statham --- channeling some of his insanity as the crazy goalkeeper from Mean Machine --- as Bullseye.

I read about Statham as DD before, and I approve. Though I think a better match is Colin Farrell --- who established a reputation for playing unassuming young men in films like SWAT, Phone Booth, et al --- as Matt Murdock vs. Jason Statham --- channeling some of his insanity as the crazy goalkeeper from Mean Machine --- as Bullseye.

Interesting, I like Statham as DD but not as Matt Murdock, I don't know their personalities don't seem to click

I liked Affleck as DD. I'd not like Statham though. He's too gruff to be Murdock. Plus, I have a feeling would be far too lacking in substance in order to allow for krazy kung fu.

I said this before to Ice and Project. Both told me I was crazy.

Statham would suck *** in the role. He's perfect as the badass in pure, nonsensical, high-octane action movies, but the guy has no acting ability whatsoever. Colin Farrell would be a bad choice as well, I don't understand why you guys think he fits the character....and Ben Affleck is a somewhat mediocre actor....so I would say, cast someone with a little more credibility.

I'd say, don't even include Elektra or Bullseye until the second movie; let this movie set up Daredevil's origin, and have him encounter some lesser-known foes.

Matt Murdock - Uh, let's see....Don't make his costume so crappy. I hated the Affleck costume, the shade of red they used. Casting....well, I dunno, I think Sam Rockwell would be interesting. As for his origin....this is just part of what I've never liked about the character. Why does he need radiation crap getting sprayed in his eyes to have his superhuman senses? Real blind people have been known to have extremely acute hearing, touch, and smell. Plus, it would just make Daredevil that much more badass if he actually did all of this without being exposed to some radioactive waste. Blind people already develop extrahuman senses without the help of radiation. And wasn't Stick blind? Was he exposed to radioactive waste to make him a badass martial arts master? I know it would be a major change from the comics, but even Spider-Man has seen changes with things like webbing whem being adapted for the screen. I think blind people would be grateful if there was a blind superhero who fought crime without actually having acquired his superpowers from external means.:)

Karen Page - Definitely give her a supporting role as Matt Murdock's love interest. We only got to hear her voice in the 2003 movie.

Ben Urich - If you really want to compare this to the new Batman movies, then I would say that Urich is Daredevil's Jim Gordon. He may not be a cop, but he'll be one of his closest advocates until the Bugle threatens to fire him if he doesn't stop supporting his vigilante activities (or something....). He'll still remain a close ally of the Man Without Fear. I dunno who could play him. Chris Cooper or somebody.

The Owl - A banker/assassin or whoever working for the Kingpin. He is hired to unmask/kill Daredevil, who is interfering with the Kingpin's work. And you could make him work easily, just don't make his features so exaggerated. I think Bendis/Maleev did a good version of the Owl though.

The Kingpin - Don't make him the guy who killed Matt Murdock's dad. That's so Tim Burton Batman-ish. I'd also like Kingpin to just have a looming presence in this movie, who starts to come out in the open more and more as Daredevil starts to disrupt his business. In the next movie, he'd hire Elektra and Bullseye. I wouldn't have Kingpin played by Michael Clarke Duncan, cause even if this is a requel, he should be played by a new actor (example: Sam Elliott was the perfect Thunderbolt Ross in Ang Lee's Hulk, but he was replaced by William Hurt so the movies' loose continuity with each other would be more comfortable).

Stick - Daredevil has to have a way to train. He always looks somewhat like David Carradine (Kill Bill era), but I don't know if Carradine would make a good Stick.

Jack Murdock - Matt's dad, killed by mob leader for winning a fight that he was supposed to throw. Butch's story from Pulp Fiction always reminds me of this. Um....just have the mob leader be some random guy. Or at least, don't have Wilson Fisk kill him directly; have one of his mercenaries do it. Or, y'know, the guy who was the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen before Wilson Fisk was Alexander Bont. So you could have him do it. What I'm saying is, you don't need a major criminal to motivate Matt Murdock to become DD.

Foggy Nelson - Matt's BFF, and the source for comic relief in the film. Jon Favreau did a good job in the 2003 movie. I can't think of anyone else to play him right now....

Example Cast for "The Man Without Fear"
Matt Murdock/Daredevil - Sam Rockwell
Karen Page - Amy Adams
Ben Urich - Chris Cooper
The Owl - Tim Blake Nelson/Tim Robbins/Jim Broadbent/Tom Wilkinson?
The Kingpin - ?
Stick - ?

i still think there's a way for someone to make a Daredevil film almost as good as The Dark Knight, that film showed that you can have a superhero movie without the superhero being all superheroic, i want a Daredevil film where he's more of a detective and crimefighter instead of just a guy that finds bad guys and kicks their *** just to find another clue, and Dark Knight was so suspenseful, i can honestly say that's the first film i'd seen in a long time where i did not know what was gonna happen next, and that's what i want out of a Marvel film, also Batman should just be called a hero, not a superhero (no super powers) but that's the great part, no super powers put into the story makes for a more realistic story, i agree with making Matt Murdock blind by natural causes (anybody seen Ray?)

Last edited:
I said this before to Ice and Project. Both told me I was crazy.

Actually, I recall saying I could see Statham as Daredevil but probably not Murdock and you were the one calling me crazy.

I like Sam Rockwell though. That's really good.

Latest posts

Back