Avengers Dark Avengers series discussion (Spoilers)

Re: Dark Avengers series discussion

I think it's a little unfair to assume her gender plays any kind of role in the decision to rip her head off.

Shall I point you to Women in Refrigerators?

I'm having difficulty in believing she was so great of a threat that she had to be decapitated. Just kind of reeks of misogyny, but hey, why should I complain, girls should stick to manga and not be offended by macho stuff.

Ok....

On one hand I'm tired of Sentry constantly being wasted. Here you have a Superman with actual problems ripe for storytelling. But instead all we do is have him rip people in half. Just another character wasted.

But on the other hand, as silly and contrived as Bendis' stories are...I can't help but be entertained. The entire time.

Ugh.

Ok....

On one hand I'm tired of Sentry constantly being wasted. Here you have a Superman with actual problems ripe for storytelling. But instead all we do is have him rip people in half. Just another character wasted.

But on the other hand, as silly and contrived as Bendis' stories are...I can't help but be entertained. The entire time.

Ugh.

y'know... something just dawned on me, and I need to apologize to E for being a *****.

Doom's comment made me realize something, I don't think this is a bout of misogyny, I think this is Bendis thinking he's being oh so cutting edge, and having Sentry be his Miracleman. All the brutality, and "brushes with darkness" just reeks of "me too".

So, I'm sorry, E, I didn't mean to get all *****y and preachy on you. Just tired of seeing female heroes (and in this case villain) being brutalized, while male characters generally get the free pass and get the resurrection/reintroductions.

Doom: Fair and Blanced (....But Not All Douchish and Self-Righteous Like The Other People Who Use This Motto.

y'know... something just dawned on me, and I need to apologize to E for being a *****.

Doom's comment made me realize something, I don't think this is a bout of misogyny, I think this is Bendis thinking he's being oh so cutting edge, and having Sentry be his Miracleman. All the brutality, and "brushes with darkness" just reeks of "me too".

So, I'm sorry, E, I didn't mean to get all *****y and preachy on you. Just tired of seeing female heroes (and in this case villain) being brutalized, while male characters generally get the free pass and get the resurrection/reintroductions.

It's no problem - I was going to bring up the fact that Sentry ripping people in half is not unprecedented, but Doom took care of that. And I guess I could see where you were coming from, I just thought maybe you were reading something into it that I didn't think was there.

But yeah, that's probably not inaccurate to say Sentry is Bendis's Miracleman. The Carnage ripping-in-half thing should've tipped us off that it might happen. The original Sentry (Jenkins) would not have done that.

I'm not offended by the possible misogyny. I'm not offended by the waste of a good character. I'm offended by the silliness of having an Avenger, a HERO, rip off someone's head just because Bendis put the word Dark in the title.

If it walks like a Thunderbolt, quacks like a Thunderbolt, looks like a Thunderbolt, it must be a Dark Avenger.

LAME.

i haven't picked up Dark Avengers. THe last time I saw Sentry was during Secret Invasion. He flew off into space and the Void came down and saved Lindy. Is it possible that Sentry isn't ripping off Morgan's head, but the Void is?

i haven't picked up Dark Avengers. THe last time I saw Sentry was during Secret Invasion. He flew off into space and the Void came down and saved Lindy. Is it possible that Sentry isn't ripping off Morgan's head, but the Void is?

He *IS* The Void.

I'm not offended by the possible misogyny. I'm not offended by the waste of a good character. I'm offended by the silliness of having an Avenger, a HERO, rip off someone's head just because Bendis put the word Dark in the title.

If it walks like a Thunderbolt, quacks like a Thunderbolt, looks like a Thunderbolt, it must be a Dark Avenger.

LAME.

It walks like a Thunderbolt with a limp, quacks like a Thunderbolt with a tracheotomy and looks like a Thunderbolt with massive burn scars covering over 95% of its body that it will never recover from and will cry ever night for the rest of its life over.

Oh yeah. And Sentry is the Noid. Avoid him. I swear to God. He'll rip your head off. Especially if you have breasts.

But anyway. I think we're all blowing this out of proportion. Obviously the Sentry's ripping Morgana's head off her shoulders with his bare hand because that's the only way to destroy her majiks.

Or, you know, because he's got to compensate and try to be badder than Ellis.

Last edited:

I must say I actually enjoyed the first Avengers battle against a villain.

But aren't they villains too?

I mean really it's villains fighting villains.

Well...Villains fighting Doom's crazy ex.

Last edited:

The only Avengers comic I read is New Avengers and that's because I like the characters and it's got good art and Bendis sometimes comes up with interesting stories. I tried Mighty Avengers because it's Slott but I wasn't really interested with the first issue and for some reason Hank Pym is calling himself The Wasp so I didn't bother after that. Should I be reading Dark Avengers? Is it any good?

The only Avengers comic I read is New Avengers and that's because I like the characters and it's got good art and Bendis sometimes comes up with interesting stories. I tried Mighty Avengers because it's Slott but I wasn't really interested with the first issue and for some reason Hank Pym is calling himself The Wasp so I didn't bother after that. Should I be reading Dark Avengers? Is it any good?

I like it. It's similar to New Avengers for the exact reasons you mentioned - the characters are pretty good, the concept is interesting, and the art is very good. At least read the first issue; it should give you a pretty good idea if you want to continue with it. It's not Alan Moore but it is entertaining.

Re: Uncanny X-Men series discussion (Spoilers!)

I loved Emma and Namor totally wailing on Daken and Mimic.

Latest posts

Back