DC: One Year Later discussion (Spoilers!)

Robin is kinda boring now. Birds of Prey was confusing... but Prometheus appeared. :rockon:

Ok....so it took me a while but I'm now a fan of DC. Here's my view of OYL titles from a fresh fan's perspective:

Teen Titans - s'o.k. :neutral: I read the history of the group...but Ijust don't rally care. I'm gonna stick with this though because evertone else says its a good read (.........and yes I would jump off a bridge while smoking a cigarette if everyone else told me to :p )

Nightwing - Ok...I get it...kinda. Jason Todd is back and has adopted Dick Grayson's Nightwing persona....only with a deadly twist. I'm not really caring though.

Robin - Robin is being framed for the murder of a friend....even though that friend might actually be alive. I actually like this more than Nightwing. Don't know why...I just do. Thumbs up Boy Wonder for not looking like a fairy...

Green Arrow - I love the art...I love the writing. I love Green Arrow. Now add Deathstroke to the mix and I now have a DC comic on my pull list. :D

Superman/Action Comics - I :heart: this a lot!!! The characters are drawn just as I imagine they would be and they focus on Clark Kent...not Superman. Just great.

Blue Beetle - Ummmmmmm.......not really impressed....but I guess I'll stick around to see how this plays out. So far its just a latino teenager who can't control his powers. That's not really interesting.

I'm just waiting for Wonder Woman and Flash!!!!

Victor Von Doom said:
Ok....so it took me a while but I'm now a fan of DC. Here's my view of OYL titles from a fresh fan's perspective:

Teen Titans - s'o.k. :neutral: I read the history of the group...but Ijust don't rally care. I'm gonna stick with this though because evertone else says its a good read (.........and yes I would jump off a bridge while smoking a cigarette if everyone else told me to :p )

This is one of the best books out there. I think cause you didn't read OYP.

Nightwing - Ok...I get it...kinda. Jason Todd is back and has adopted Dick Grayson's Nightwing persona....only with a deadly twist. I'm not really caring though.

It sounds good on paper but the excution is off. Pick up Batman's Under The Hood trades and you will see how much Jason kicks ***.

Robin - Robin is being framed for the murder of a friend....even though that friend might actually be alive. I actually like this more than Nightwing. Don't know why...I just do. Thumbs up Boy Wonder for not looking like a fairy...

This is perhaps one of the best ones.

Green Arrow - I love the art...I love the writing. I love Green Arrow. Now add Deathstroke to the mix and I now have a DC comic on my pull list. :D

I'm been waiting for this rematch since Identity Crisis

Superman/Action Comics - I :heart: this a lot!!! The characters are drawn just as I imagine they would be and they focus on Clark Kent...not Superman. Just great.

I'm loving where this is going.

Blue Beetle - Ummmmmmm.......not really impressed....but I guess I'll stick around to see how this plays out. So far its just a latino teenager who can't control his powers. That's not really interesting.

It can go places.

I'm just waiting for Wonder Woman and Flash!!!!

:rockon:

Victor Von Doom said:
Great...now all I gotta do is find it. I wonder if its in TPB yet? Hmmmmm......

Yes, it is.

Victor Von Doom said:
Great...now all I gotta do is find it. I wonder if its in TPB yet? Hmmmmm......

Yeah. Two of them. I'm not sure if volume two is out yet but it will be in the next couple of months.

If you want his actually first return get the Hush trades. They were decent.

Last edited:
TODAY'S OYL:

So...

Batman - Harvey Bullock is my boy. Batman is creeping me out with his "plans" for Robin he's so excited for. Bye-bye Ventriloquist... And a huge hint as to who has been running Gotham this past year. All i've got to say is that he's got a good case of dual personalities... oy. Oh, and it would seem that Harvey Bullock got back on the GCPD when he rooted out corruption in the department that led all the way up to Commissioner Akins. Something tells me that this is going to be where Corrigan gets what's coming to him (this will either be covered in 52 or in The Spectre mini...). I'm liking what they're setting up here. Gotham is an intricate, interesting city, and its becoming increasingly evident why it needs Batman.

Blue Beetle - Good Continuation of the plot... I definitely wasn't expecting the ending, but that'll be interesting (it'll be damn hard to keep his reasoning away from his parents now)... I like the idea of this Unwilling Teen Super Hero being open with his parents about it (maybe they're even encouraging him more than he is). I also loved the nice Texas Hick. I'm keeping this boy.

Checkmate - Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. This first issue does more to set up the scenario than a plot... But I love the interaction between Nick Fury and Amanda Waller... Wait, did I say Nick Fury? Gee... I mean Alan Scott (complete with eye-patch)... Count Vertigo (old Green Arrow Villain) is one of the top operatives... This is going to be a VERY interesting series. Something, I don't know what exactly, but something tells me that Amanda Waller isn't going to play nice with the UN Security Council... Heh.

Battle For Bludhaven - Dropped. I couldn't even get a few pages in... That's how disjointed and poorly written this was. I think the new Phantom Lady shows up... but towards the end i was just flipping, because it was THAT bad.

Villains United Special - Let's just say I cannot ****ing wait for the Secret Six miniseries. Catman + Deadshot = Good Comics.

I'm looking forward to Checkmate, since I hear it's really good.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Checkmate - Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. This first issue does more to set up the scenario than a plot... But I love the interaction between Nick Fury and Amanda Waller... Wait, did I say Nick Fury? Gee... I mean Alan Scott (complete with eye-patch)... Count Vertigo (old Green Arrow Villain) is one of the top operatives... This is going to be a VERY interesting series. Something, I don't know what exactly, but something tells me that Amanda Waller isn't going to play nice with the UN Security Council... Heh.
Okay, I can't read any of these till they arrive tomorrow, but how the hell does Alan Scott have an eye patch? He's a being of energy held together by willpower. He can just force himself to regrow an eye if something happens to it. :?

in JSA Classified, he has a glowing green eye that fills the eyehole and seems to be able to see...

*shrug*

It looks cool.

Blue Beetle is weird. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Checkmate is okay... It's hard to understand when you don't know who most of the characters are...

I'll be trying Ion next.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
in JSA Classified, he has a glowing green eye that fills the eyehole and seems to be able to see...

*shrug*

It looks cool.
...I'll acept that.

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 3 seconds. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ProjectX2 said:
Checkmate is okay... It's hard to understand when you don't know who most of the characters are...

Checkmate is not going to be a book for the light reader of DC Continuity... as it is going to handle the real inner workings of the Policies of the DC Universe... This is going to be moving back towards DC's Cold War line of comics like the original Checkmate and Justice League International and Justice League Europe.

We'll be seeing a new incarnate of the Global Guardians, as well as all of the international superteams...

Honestly though?

Checkmate = Stormwatch
Amanda Waller = The Weatherman

It's not going to be an exact rip-off, but I think it will be that level of insight into the policies of a world, but instead of Rucka making up those polices, they are pre-existing from the past 20 years of comics.

At the very least you should know who Amanda Waller, Alan Scott, Mr. Terrific, and Sasha Bordeaux are... and you should read the Wiki entry on the Suicide Squad.

Last edited:
I know who all those characters are, but I'll probably do some more research later on.

Ion was boring. Couldn't get into it.

Blue Beetle is starting to get good....but the time-jumping is confusing.

Ion was boring.

Checkmate was good........real good. I'm a little lost on some of the continuity based references....but I was still able to follow it. Real good.

Latest posts

Back