DC: One Year Later discussion (Spoilers!)

Dr.Strangefate said:
ww_variant.jpg

Two Wonder Women OYL?!

No, they're just tying her more to her past and continuity.

left to right, clockwise, starting at the top:

Princess Diana (Silver Age/Modern Wonder Woman)
Cassie Sandsmark (Modern Wonder Girl)
Donna Troi (Silver Age Wonder Girl)
Queen Hyppolita (Golden Age Wonder Woman)

Kinda figured, on my way to get my comics right now.

Dr.Strangefate said:
THEY IS GOOD!!!

TEEN TITANS ROCKS MY SOCKS

Robin is really creepy.

no. robin is really awesome. they are setting him up to be the next batman HARD. he is on track to be as good a fighter as Batman now, after the year of training ,and he has his own damn cave! and apparently, he is an even better leader after OYL.

fo' serious, OYL Batman and Robin rule so hard. I love the Batman book, I love how Robin and Jim Gordon are in it, I love how the Bat-team is in Robin, I love the camraderie. I think it's sooooo good.

Also: in a recent interview Didio said that Joker still has a role in IC, and that the Red Hood scene (i.e. them all blowing up) happened before IC #1. So I'm really interested in seeing what happens, I think -- Joker will try to kill someone, but Batman will stop him hard, thus breaking the cycle of Joker killing and maiming everyone close to Batman and making him crazy.

Not what I'm thinking at all

I'm thinking Joker is going to screw up one of Alex's failsafes since he wasn't allowed in the Society. It'll be some pivotal moment, and Alex will be laughing, saying the heroes won't kill him, then BANG

Joker is standing there, holding his gun, which just killed Alex.

"Heya Bats!"

teen titans looks good so far
nightwing looks good, jason todd is shaping up to be a great anti-hero
blue beetle needs to set a direction within by issue # 4 or i am done with it
green arrow had bad art
aquaman talks to fish, it never was good and it still isnt

Baxter's massive OYL post

Alright folks, get comfy, this is going to be a long one.

Birds of Prey - Deffinatly entertaining. Great to see that the Society is still runing. That was easily one of the best parts of the IC buildup and I hope it lasts for a long, long time. The idea of Black Canary living Lady Shiva's life in fast forward is intresting. Hopefuly we'll get some background on Shivas deal with canary soon instead of as part of 52. I'll be keeping this one on.

Outsiders - This wasn't nearly as good as the last one. I like Captain Boomerang on the team, and Rex Mason on instead of Shyft is odd, in a "why didn't they do that in the first place kind of way". Unless the next few issues that I've ordered pick up I think this'll be back to tradewait for me.

Nightwing - Okay, this is just confusing. We've got Bowl Cut Nightwing gutting a man in the first few pages, Dick Grayson(I think, he's just long hair Nightwing for the time being) wondering New York haveing Titans memories, and then Jason Todd (I think. Again he's now short-Hair nightwing) saving his *** at the end. Now I've stuck out sucky nightwing before, and I won't be dropping the title anytime soon, but I'd really like a little clarification. Soon. If Grayson's become the man-whore everyone seems to think he is I'll be very dissapointed. And if they ****ed up the Dick-Babs from the end of graysons run there'll be hell to pay... Okay, probably not, but I'll be mighty steamed.

Robin - A few little problems in here. First I find it odd that gotham cops know all about Nightwing's slayings. And if she's been dead for hours they really would be able to tell. Parisite advancment, varous mortis stages (You all knew there were more than just rigor, right?), and of course the whole post-mortim wounds bit would quickly let them know he didn't kill her. Then. Maybe earlier. Also, knives go right through kevlar. Its all about the style of strike vrs the style of weave in the fabric. Its designed to stop high impact on a single point, but the way a knife hits is diffrent enough that it cuts through like going through a thick shirt. Robins R Blades should be able to penetrate. Not nessicarily enough to do any real damage, but it would have worked. But for all my *****ing you know what? I still really dug this issue and am on for the long haul.

Batman & Detective - BULLOCK! I'm very happy about Robinsons arc so far. Even moreso with the mention of Swamp Thing, even though I know he won't be showing up in any mainline DC books anytime soon. Just that they're admitting he still exists is enough for me. Anyone else get the impression that Harvey Dent was protecting Gotham for a bit? I'm not sure how they're going to do him and Two-Face though. I know they're trying to get back to a classif feel here, but undoing Harveys reform (or atleast attempt) would make me sad. :(

JSA - Well, the art is pretty. I'm not really looking forward to a look at the Gentleman Ghosts past, and having spriits haunt the JSA isn't exactly a new storyarc (There was one Johns did that was similar with the spector a few years ago). I'll probably keep on this book atleast through the end of the arc, but if Levitz doesn't turn it around or if his replacement isn't someone I'm looking forward to I might drop the book that brought me back to comics.

JSA Classified - Weeee! I really love Vandal Savage as a character and the history of him was a little more appriciated than that of The Gentleman Ghost. I especialy enjoyed the scene with him and his daughter. Now hopefuly he won't actualy die at the end of this arc, but it also promises to be Alan Scott centered so I'm looking forward to the rest.

Firestorm - Pretty straightforward stuff except for two bits. First off Lorraine taking her Fathers seat in the senate is a nice touch, with hopefuly a level of political undertones to be added to the book in the next few issues. This has always been a very fun rad, but a little more depth would be appriciated. The other is a bit that readers from before OYL probably missed. Jason says that he'll call Gehenna, a girl that was introduced in the Villians United crossover issue. Apparently she had been living in one of the Societies faculities for the entirety of her life. About 4 (i think, I dont have the comics infront of me) years. She'd never even see the sky and always called Jason her Boyfriend. Its important to point out that she probably looked like a petite 16 or so. He didn't know didly or squat about her at the OYL jump, so him calling her up for a teleport is a development I wasn't expecting. I'll keep this one on, but like I said earlier, a little more depth would be nice.

Blue Beetle - Booyeah. I've already said alot of what I like about the new Beetle in the IC thread, especialy the reactions Green Lanterns have to the Scarab. This book seems a bit more unfocused in time than the others do, with parts happening before, after, maybe even during the crisis. The lack of the OYL symbol on the cover doesn't help either, even though Editorial has said that it took part in the jump. Deffinatly looking forward to his interaction with the titans that was promised in the latest Crisis Counciling. Oh, and the art here is friggin astounding.

Superman & Action Comics - This is the Superman I've always wanted to read, and he doesn't even do anything. We've got Evil Genius Lex Luthor plotting, Intrepid reporter Clark Kent diggin into Intergang relanted stories, and the idea of Green Lantern Kent is something we all want to see. Even Grant morrison wanted to. Remember The Key issues of JLA? I'll be picking up the rest of the Up-Up-And Away arc, and is any of the creative teams from this stick around I'll be adding a Superman comic to my monthly pull.

Manhunter - I dunno. Apparently I didn't order #20. :p

Blue Beetle seem to me to have the most potential so far, i really hope they can focus more though. the first issue move around too much, its hard to establish a timeline. are the parts with jamie walking home OYL? has he been gone that long? will the first few issues run alongside 52, covering the lost year?

Teen Titans: Awesome. This is one of the first Teen Titans issues I've read practically ever, and it doesn't disappoint. Interesting cliffhanger, but I'm confused on how this fits together with what's going on over in Robin.

Outsiders: Meh. The art and characters are good, but the story is boring.

Over in Robin tim isn't any more excitable than he is in Teen Titans... He's just a little more teenagery...

It would make sense that when he visits the Tower he might go a little more crazy... A constant reminder of how he lost his best friend...

I mean, lets say your mom got shot and killed... you could be happy joe comedy when you're hopping around town, but when you go to the house where you grew up with her... you're mood isn't going to go high as kites...

and in the Batman comics, Tim seems to be a bit more moody, as addressed in Detective Comics... But not necessarily Robin...

When Robin is playing detective in Gotham, its an escape...

When he comes down from the rooftops and has to interact with people, he's angsty.

I mean, isn't that a more acurate model of a contemporary teen anyways?

i loved OYL robin. and that costume is mutherlovin classic.

and yeah, its good to hear that the society is still around, and it makes for great great stories.

all the batman books (batman, detective, robin, all of them except nightwing) are (teenage girl squad) SOOOO GOOD! new harvey rules, so much that if they make him two-face at the end of this mini i'll be SOOOOO PISSED!

i misread nightwing the first time. i am totally not into it though. in fact, i friggin hate it. dick is made to be an all-around tool. dumping babs? being surprised/overcome by metas? having to have his arse saved by jason?! lame.

iceman said:
i misread nightwing the first time. i am totally not into it though. in fact, i friggin hate it. dick is made to be an all-around tool. dumping babs? being surprised/overcome by metas? having to have his arse saved by jason?! lame.
Now we don't know he ended it with Babs. But yeah, I'm not diggin Bruce Jones on Nightwing. The idea of Jason Todd doing his thing in a Nightwing suit was a good one but he doesn't seem to be going anywhere else with it. And Dick as a male model? Crap.

Oh, and one last word on Dick/Todd confusion. The Target. If anyone else has read the Nightwing OGN by that name they'll know what I'm saying. Time to break out the nightsticks till his name is clear.

I haven't been posting in this thread much, so I can't remember what issues I talked about.

I'm liking the Superman story... but Battle for Bludhaven sucked. Sucked bad.

ProjectX2 said:
I haven't been posting in this thread much, so I can't remember what issues I talked about.

I'm liking the Superman story... but Battle for Bludhaven sucked. Sucked bad.

I found it to be interesting.

Latest posts

Back