DC Universe Online

New/interesting info from Comic-con reports :

At this time a character is comprised of many elements that are taken from the DC Universe. And although the costume editor will not be as massive as CoH or CO a characters look will easily be iconic "DC" in appearance and will reflect their origin as well. A great deal of gear that you earn in game will reflect your game progress and achievements but still stay with in your origin theme and personal colors, or even invisible to those who wish to keep their character simple.

Some game elements that they will be looking at are yearly events, such as the Brainiac invasion, also the big DC events will be brought into the game about a year after they are published in the comics.

Those concerned about being ganked, by a bunch of villains in a PvP situation in the open wold will be comforted that is a someone gets repeatedly killed by an overwhelming force it summons the JLA or LoD to come stomp the griefers

Some things that are not yet developed of that they can not discuss at this time are the following:
Release Date
Start of Beta (should be going on by the next Comic Con)
Subscription Price
Sidekick/Mentor System
Super Group Details
Missions
Maximum Levels

more here : http://www.dcuosource.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3db989790785bae652b98bc67fd3d2a2&page=192

12 new photos can be found here http://dcuo.station.sony.com/ under screenshots

Including : Bizarro's freeze-breams, Batman's Batarangs, and Wonder Woman's thighs.

Last edited:
From the official myspace page , New concept art and pic of green lantern

Also new Interview :
The PS3 is the only current console does allow mouse and keyboard support for actual gameplay, although few developers have taken advantage of it. Are you allowing that for this game?

WY: Yeah, there's no reason not to.

I know you have extensive character customization, but how much have you tried to safeguard against the inevitable emergent phenomenon in online games where people figure out the optimal type of character, which ends up getting propagated out as the build of the month? It seems like a game like this, where the idea is to have all these unique heroes, that would be particularly undesirable.

WY: That's always going to be a challenge in any game that has a lot of different varieties of tactics, powers, and strategies. I think the best way to combat that is to get the game out in front of people as early as possible with as much content.

Ideally, [we'll] have as long a beta as possible so we can tweak the different powers. Because I guarantee you that some designer or someone is going to create a power that looks cool by itself, and once we put it into the game, oh my god, a combination broke something.

So, it's really about being able to get all the cool things in and ferret out any broken issues, balance setup, and make sure that when we release the game, it's as balanced as it can be.

Read More here : http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24855

Most importantly, we made sure to check in and see whether or not the title will be subscription-based or free to play like so many seem to be doing lately. In his response we were given a very strong impression that they are leaning towards the expansion-pack business model, as opposed to the traditional subscription fee although such matters hadn't been solidified at that point over at Sony Online Entertainment. In another, albeit unsurprising, move the game will feature completely platform-open servers; this means the servers will be cross-compatible between the PS3 and PC versions, no matter where you play. Whilst this is all well and good, Yanagi neglected to further elaborate on the means through which the game will be making its money. Whether it ends up with a Free Realms-esque microtransaction service or a more Guild Wars-inspired system of free play supported by numerous paid expansions, we'll do our best to keep you updated as time goes by.

No fees!

http://www.onelastcontinue.com/10953/gamescom-2009-dc-universe-online-impressions/

Last edited:
That's fantastic news! Wow.

Also, this game has been given a release date of April 30th, 2010. Get pumped... I know I can't wait to start a villain in Gotham!

Mr. Freeze!!

1261416143.jpg

How can you hate his art? That's absurd. He's probably my favorite.

Because I'm allowed have an opinion.

Also, because every character he draws looks the exact same (look at Bruce Wayne and then look at Superman. The exact same), they all have stupid, steroid-pumped muscles and they only have three emotions: angry, angrier, badass and crying, and he draws costumes as if they're two-dimensional. He's a crap, over-rated 90s artist. He's Rob Liefeld except he's better at proportions. That's why.

I understand the appeal of his 'realistic' style (even though it's not at all), but for that style I much prefer the likes of Ethan Van Sciver or even Gary Frank.

Some of the most beloved superheroes -- and reviled supervillains -- are under the DC Comics' banner. Just think of the influence characters such as Batman and Superman wield over our culture; they remain compelling decades after their creation.

DC Universe Online gives players a chance to crafter compelling stories of their own in the world of The Dark Knight and the Last Son of Krypton. Senior Producer Wes Yanagi, who's overseeing development of the game, tells some of the things players can expect when they log into the game for the first time.

Toby Davis: You've announced a number of DC Comics heroes and villains that are in the game. Do you plan to include cameo appearances for characters who haven't been announced yet?

Wes Yanagi: That's a good question. For launch, we're focusing on the characters our mainstream audience would like to see. Most people are familiar with characters like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, so they'll play a major role in the game. However, since this is an online game there will be plenty of opportunities for lesser known characters to make an appearance as the game evolves over time.

Read more of this interview here : http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/dc-universe-online-interview.html

Nothing really new but still a good read

Latest posts

Back