Death of Ultimate Spider-Man (Feb. 2011)

Ah, I see. Well I always believed that it took place in early 2000. In Ultimates 1 present day is '02. By next issue, Fury is discussing if Banner needs another 6 months sick leave he can have it. There is then the flashback pic of Hulk fighting Spider-man from UMTU. So given Fury's statement about 6 months it seems like that USM began late 2001 or somewhere in 2002

It's most likely October 2002, that the series starts in. Of course, that contradicts some things here and there, but as far as internal continuity goes that's what ended up making most sense.

It can't be the 90's, simply put. UMTU issue 2 (the one with the Hulk) takes place around 6 months before the start of The Ultimates, which is specifically stated to be 2002 (also, Peter makes a reference early on to Adult Swim, which didn't exist until 2001). I'm actually really curious as to where you got the 90's dates, considering every Ultimates title that uses a specific year (and isn't doing a flashback) never cites anything earlier than 2002.

Last edited:
It's most likely October 2002, that the series starts in. Of course, that contradicts some things here and there, but as far as internal continuity goes that's what ended up making most sense.

It can't be the 90's, simply put. UMTU issue 2 (the one with the Hulk) takes place around 6 months before the start of The Ultimates, which is specifically stated to be 2002 (also, Peter makes a reference early on to Adult Swim, which didn't exist until 2001). I'm actually really curious as to where you got the 90's dates, considering every Ultimates title that uses a specific year (and isn't doing a flashback) never cites anything earlier than 2002.

Then, why in Ultimate Comics: Avengers 3, the Punisher is talking about Putin as Prime Minister and not President?

3 years have past in the Ultimate Universe, if we are in 2002 in the beginning, then we are actually in 2005, years where Putin is already the President of Russia (he's President since 2000 of March).

UMTU is a draft of the Ultimate Universe.
I can find you a lot of others examples, but if you want to keep your mind with the year 2002 to begin with, it's all yours :)

Putin stepped down from the presidency when he hit his max term limit and returned to the PM position. Medvedev is the current President, and has been since 2008.

Thank you Dr.Strangefate to add some more informations about Vladimir Putin (march 2005-march 2008 President of Russia).

Another facts: the September 11 attacks, Ben Laden or the 2004's tsunami, why there is no trace of these important events?
Because the Ultimate Universe is actually in the beginning of the 2000 year.

All people who begin to work with attention on the creation of a timeline will discover there are precise years and a real continuity.

I think you mean Castle made that statement in UCA2.

But still you said that Ultimates vol 1 started in 1998 when it is clearly stated that the present day is in 2002. I'm just wondering how you came up with that figure?

Thank you Dr.Strangefate to add some more informations about Vladimir Putin (march 2005-march 2008 President of Russia).

Another facts: the September 11 attacks, Ben Laden or the 2004's tsunami, why there is no trace of these important events?Because the Ultimate Universe is actually in the beginning of the 2000 year.

Or maybe the writers of Marvel feel we need to move on from those events. Instead of fixating on the tragedy as we humans have a tendency to do. And therefore earth-1610 never had a 9/11 and maybe the 2004 Tsunami never hit land.

I seriously doubt anyone in charge of the Ultimate comics has any idea about Putin's authority at the time any of these comics were written.

This discussion is so unnecessary...

but here we go

You can find "facts" throughout the ten years of Ultimate Comics that "prove" they take place whenever you want them to.

Frank Castle said Putin is prime minister. He wasn't Prime Minister after 2000. And Mark Millar was probably drunk when he wrote that.

George Bush was portrayed VERY clearly as the president in both Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men and in The Ultimates. He became President in 2001 (voted into office in 2000, inaugurated the following January.)

The Ultimates (Vol 1) state that present day is 2002, but the book also came out (or started to come out) in 2002.

etc.

The Ultimate Marvel Universe does not take place in a certain year. The comic you read today is taking place in the present, everything that came before happened in the past. Sometimes you can reasonably figure out how the different series tie together chronologically, other times you have to just enjoy (or not) the stories and not worry too much about the chronology.

Bendis has said that he doesn't care about fitting into the "time line" when he writes, he wants to tell a story. When asked about chronology of his comics, he has said something along the lines of "don't pull that thread or the whole sweater will unravel."

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.

As for what "The Death of Spider-Man" is about, I really hope it's something similar to Captain France's idea, but it may very well end up being a battle with the Ultimates that results in Peter's death. (I hope not).

The Ultimate Universe like almost every other comic universe takes place in a sliding timeline. Investigating what year it was does not make any sense. That is why whenever there is a flashback, unless it harkens back to a certain era (like WWII), they prefer to make it "11 years ago", "Present Day", instead of specifying an actual year.

There are always continuity glitches like showing the President's face, printing the year on a newspaper or making pop-culture or current event references of that time but let's face it, we're not supposed to focus on this too much. Heck, who can ignore the Fantastic Four fiasco when the UFF comics was just released? Also to my understanding, Millar intended to have every major event during his time in the Ultimates to have a year or two as a gap. But due to the need to make the characters and events more cohesive, right now since the first issue of "present time" in USM until the latest event, it's probably barely 1.5 years old.

The answer is simpler than it looks. Let's not read too much into the little things as the writers do not really think about this minor stuff. They probably didn't even think that the Ultimate Universe would last 10 years.

Last edited:
Ha! You probably all right.. I'm too into the little things as said cmdrjanjalani. Sorry all.

I just hope Spidey will not die!

Bring on Ultimate Captain Britain or EDI comics! Carey, Millar or Ellis what are you waiting for?!
There's some nice stories to tell like the Prince William's mariage or the Pape accepting condom!

Ha! You probably all right.. I'm too into the little things as said cmdrjanjalani. Sorry all.
hey, don't be sorry. The nice thing about fictional worlds is that you get to put your own spin on it when you read it. If it makes sense to you that the ultimate u started in 1998, who am I to argue. At the end of the day it doesn't matter.

I just hope Spidey will not die!
I agree.

hey, don't be sorry. The nice thing about fictional worlds is that you get to put your own spin on it when you read it. If it makes sense to you that the ultimate u started in 1998, who am I to argue. At the end of the day it doesn't matter.

There's some nice stories to tell like the Prince William's mariage or the Pape accepting condom!

wait, what?

I seriously doubt anyone in charge of the Ultimate comics has any idea about Putin's authority at the time any of these comics were written.

It's Millar.

Clearly he's just seeding a scatology joke to play off later in the series.

I'm working on a Timeline with Ultimate & Supreme Power comics for months/a year now.

DIrishB and his timeline is one of the reason I came here, his work is awesome and full of respect.

Eh, I wouldn't put much stock in exact month or year placements from the books.

The problem is that the books tend to try to stay current with real-time. For instance, early on in Ultimate X-Men its mentioned as being 2002 and 2003. The Ultimates are placed in 2002, Ultimates 2 is 2003, and Ultimates 3 is probably sometime in 2003-2004 (Ultimates 3 occurs over Christmas time, meaning December, or the end of that calendar year), meaning Ultimates 3 probably occurs less than a year after Ultimates 2.

Anyway, as real time goes on, it out-paces the fictional passage of time in the story. For instance, Spider-Man has been 15 or 16 since the book started, yet 2-3 years passed in both the Ultimates titles and Ultimate X-Men (UFF never got too specific with time placements). Yet, due to crossovers between USM, UXM, UFF, and the Ultimates, we know there must be a running, all-inclusive timeline for the universe. The only problem is the writers don't really bother paying attention to it.

Point is, trying to add specific years to the Ult timeline is an effort in futility and frustration. I speak from experience.

Another problem is the Supreme Power verse's time placements. While they're much more exact, they don't gel that well with the Ultimate verse's and the later crossover between the verses (in regards to the events of the Hyperion mini-series and its flash-forward, for instance). This was largely in part because the Ultimate Power crossover kind of retro-actively altered a few things in the SP verse.

This is the reason I dropped real years and went with the Year 0, Year 1, Year 2 approach. It still chronicles the likely passage of time, just without adhering to a rule system none of the writers are paying attention to anyway.

Then, why in Ultimate Comics: Avengers 3, the Punisher is talking about Putin as Prime Minister and not President?

3 years have past in the Ultimate Universe, if we are in 2002 in the beginning, then we are actually in 2005, years where Putin is already the President of Russia (he's President since 2000 of March).

UMTU is a draft of the Ultimate Universe.
I can find you a lot of others examples, but if you want to keep your mind with the year 2002 to begin with, it's all yours :)

While its helpful to use real-world dates to place stuff like that, its also important to keep in mind that the comic universe we're talking about is an alternate universe to our own, meaning time-wise things didn't have to happen at the same times, or at all. Hence, Putin, in the Ultimate universe, could have been born 10 years earlier or later than our version, or stepped down as PM in favor of Presidency at a sooner or later date.

This also is a nice way of allowing wiggle room for contradictory story points within the universe.

Comics are impossible to timeline.

Yet like Sisyphus, I keep trying.

*sigh*

Eh, I wouldn't put much stock in exact month or year placements from the books.

The problem is that the books tend to try to stay current with real-time. For instance, early on in Ultimate X-Men its mentioned as being 2002 and 2003. The Ultimates are placed in 2002, Ultimates 2 is 2003, and Ultimates 3 is probably sometime in 2003-2004 (Ultimates 3 occurs over Christmas time, meaning December, or the end of that calendar year), meaning Ultimates 3 probably occurs less than a year after Ultimates 2.

Anyway, as real time goes on, it out-paces the fictional passage of time in the story. For instance, Spider-Man has been 15 or 16 since the book started, yet 2-3 years passed in both the Ultimates titles and Ultimate X-Men (UFF never got too specific with time placements). Yet, due to crossovers between USM, UXM, UFF, and the Ultimates, we know there must be a running, all-inclusive timeline for the universe. The only problem is the writers don't really bother paying attention to it.

Point is, trying to add specific years to the Ult timeline is an effort in futility and frustration. I speak from experience.

Another problem is the Supreme Power verse's time placements. While they're much more exact, they don't gel that well with the Ultimate verse's and the later crossover between the verses (in regards to the events of the Hyperion mini-series and its flash-forward, for instance). This was largely in part because the Ultimate Power crossover kind of retro-actively altered a few things in the SP verse.

This is the reason I dropped real years and went with the Year 0, Year 1, Year 2 approach. It still chronicles the likely passage of time, just without adhering to a rule system none of the writers are paying attention to anyway.

While its helpful to use real-world dates to place stuff like that, its also important to keep in mind that the comic universe we're talking about is an alternate universe to our own, meaning time-wise things didn't have to happen at the same times, or at all. Hence, Putin, in the Ultimate universe, could have been born 10 years earlier or later than our version, or stepped down as PM in favor of Presidency at a sooner or later date.

This also is a nice way of allowing wiggle room for contradictory story points within the universe.

Yet like Sisyphus, I keep trying.

*sigh*

I think you should construct a DC timeline.

Bagley_Tease_02.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/mark-bagley-death-of-spiderman-101217.html

Mark Bagley comes back, returning from Ultimate Spider-Man #156 !!! :rockon:

I think its safe to say "I don't like Mark Bagley's art, and am not at all excited that he return."

It is not safe to say, "Mark Bagley is a monster and should be executed for his terrible art."

Latest posts

Back