Disney Awesomitity

I haven't seen Bolt yet, but I hear it was pretty entertaining. Maybe I'll pick it up later today.

But, Disney will continue to do CG films, just alternating with classic 2D films. The Princess and the Frog is next as the first 2D film since Home on the Range, then Rapunzel will be the next CG film, then King of the Elves will be a 2D film.
Not an entirely bad compromise, actually.

The Princess and the Frog is next as the first 2D film since Home on the Range

That's not really true through. Their has been other animated movies of Disney since. There was Bambi II , The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning and I'm sure other direct to dvd sequels/prequels.

Though if you meant theatrical release in which case, Sorry for misunderstanding.

The Princess and the Frog is next as the first 2D film since Home on the Range

That's not really true through. Their has been other animated movies of Disney since. There was Bambi II , The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning and I'm sure other direct to dvd sequels/prequels.

Though if you meant theatrical release in which case, Sorry for misunderstanding.

While those 'movies' were indeed 2D film, they are not canon nor considered Disney Classics. Any movie that is not a Disney Classic but is still animated are movies that second string Disney animators do to improve their skill. So yes, the last Disney (Classic) movie that was 2D was Home on the Range.

Actually they are canon to first movie if you mean they are not. But besides that your right. Sorry.

Actually they are canon to first movie if you mean they are not. But besides that your right. Sorry.

Well, they make a Little Mermaid canon, that is correct, but there is also the primary Disney Classics canon that has only two sequels included.

Ah, That's cool dude.

Of course theres a reason only 2 are included, Disney's sequels suck (though I do like the lion king ones) :lol:

Ah, That's cool dude.

Of course theres a reason only 2 are included, Disney's sequels suck (though I do like the lion king ones) :lol:

I never saw those ones, but I did see the Aladdin ones, they weren't so bad. But i must whole-heartedly agree the majority of the sequels suck.

Last edited:
I never saw those ones, but I did see the Aladdin ones, they weren't so bad. But i must whole-heartedly agree the majority of the sequels suck.

Ah the lion king sequels most will say 2 sucks (I liked it though) but 3 (1 1/2 in usa) is worth checking out even if it's just a rental as it is parodying and self mocking the first lion king. While the first lion king is my favorite disney film I still laugh at and enjoy 3.

Pretty much what Mattimeo said.

While, yes, there were 2D "straight-to-DVD" films and even theatrical releases like Return to Neverland, they aren't part of the Disney Canon. And by Canon, I don't mean they aren't canon in their respective storylines. I mean there is a Disney Canon that includes 48 films, from Snow White to Bolt. These were done by the Walt Disney Animation studio.

The sequels/prequels you are talking about were done by ToonDisney, based out of Australia. They aren't considered "Disney Classics". The two sequels that ARE considered Classics, as Mattimeo alluded to, are The Rescuers Down Under (Which was a superior film to its predecessor) and Fantastia 2000.

I've only watched a few of the sequels outside the canon. The Little Mermaid II, the two Aladdin sequels and the two Lion King sequels. Out of those, only King of Thieves and Lion King 1 1/2 (Which is basically Disney's version of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead) were entertaining. The others were garbage, in my opinion. Although I've actually heard the third Cindarella and Return to Neverland are decent. I'm just leery about those straight-to-DVD releases, especially since even the the canocical Disney theatical films have been mediocre at best these last 10 years.

The exception being Bolt. I was highly entertained by it. It was the first Disney film that gave me hope that the company was finally moving in the right direction again. Not including the always phenomenal Pixar, of course.

ourchair said:
Not an entirely bad compromise, actually.

I'd much rather Disney Animation focus on 2D while Pixar focus on 3D, but you're right, it is a fair compromise. And, to be quite honest, Rapunzel looks gorgeous, despite the fact that it's 3D animation. The art style is fantastic.

So I just joined the Disney Movie club and got seven Disney movies for $30 (five for 40 cents each then one for $14.95 and another for $9.95 and then tax).

considering one Disney movie costs that at any store, I'd say that's a good deal.

Now I just have to buy 3 more movies in the next two years at full price and make sure I check no and send the card back every time they send me a new promotional offer.

movies I bought:
A Bugs Life
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
Cars
Remember the Titans
The Sword In the Stone
Oliver and Company

SWEET!

Those are being added to my collection which already includes
Robin Hood
The Jungle Book
The Rescuers Down Under
The Little Mermaid
Aladdin
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
The Emperor's New Groove
The Incredibles
Up

If I don't get the Toy Story trilogy for Christmas like I asked, I'll probably just buy them in January and then cancel the club subscription.

Last edited:
I need to pick up the Pixar movies I don't have, including BOLT and THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG because I can't stop listening to the Gipsy Kings' cover of You've Got a Friend in Me.

It's my own fault for seeing TOY STORY 3 for a second time.

obesedisneyprinces.jpg

So I just joined the Disney Movie club

Wow. Slightly OT, but I was just thinking the other day - I wonder if there are any old record clubs like Columbia House and BMG still running?

I used to have 2-3 record club accounts running at a time and re-enrolled in them every time I fulfilled the obligations. It was the best way to get a lot of CD cheap. BMG was better because usually you only had to buy 1 CD at full price, but Columbia House had a better selection.

I just watched Tangled the other day. It was pretty good. I liked the story and the characters. The animation was gorgeous and it was funny.

But I didn't like the music. It was very show-tunesy.

Rotten Tomatoes ranks all 50 of Disney's animated movies (not including Pixar, Studio Ghibli, or DisneyToon Studios) and they did a terrible job!

Pinocchio
as #1? (i like this movie a lot, and it certainly deserves to be towards the end of the countdown, but #1?)

Robin Hood as #46 out of 50?

alot of the dance sequences from Robin Hood were taken from other Disney movies.

[video=youtube;WzyLZYYb2qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyLZYYb2qk[/video]

Latest posts

Back