Do you have faith in Bendis for the future of USM? (Spoilers!)

Do you have faith in Bendis' future for Ultimate Spider-Man

• Total voters
Re: Do you have faith in Bendis for the future of USM?

USM has gone from good, to ok, to bad, to worse, and finally inconcievably stupid.

With most things I'd say it could only get better, but I've been saying that for too long to continue believing it. The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over, but expecting different results. I'm done buying USM and expecting it to be good.

USM has gone from good, to ok, to bad, to worse, and finally inconcievably stupid.

That is a very accurate summary.

And it's worth noting...there is a difference between "bad" (Deadpool) and "inconceivably stupid" (Clone Saga).

After reading USM #105, I know he's jumped the shark for definite.

That is a very accurate summary.

And it's worth noting...there is a difference between "bad" (Deadpool) and "inconceivably stupid" (Clone Saga).
YES!!!!! I did an accurate summary!!!!

And E likes me best, EAT IT HIBIKI!!!!
After reading USM #105, I know he's jumped the shark for definite.
Wow. I won't read it, but now I'm curious just how bad it is.

Last edited:

YES!!!!! I did an accurate summary!!!!

And E likes me best, EAT IT HIBIKI!!!!

Wow. I won't read it, but now I'm curious just how bad it is.

I wish that I could drop USM like so many of you have...but for whatever reason, I keep on buying it.

The thread has been edited for spoilers. Please, if you are going to spoil an issue, do it in it's own discussion thread.

I'd personally like to see both Bendis and Millar keep away from the Ultimate universe for a while. First of all, I feel like there's been too much intermingling between titles, causing a lot of continuity contamination. Second, over the course of the last year or so, we've seen clones in Spidey, time travel in X-Men, and all of the above plus alternate realities and virtual omnipotence-granting devices in Fantastic Four. It feels like, in general, all the Ultimate titles are breaking with their original purpose, and suddenly it's 616 circa-1994 all over again.

Last edited:
I'd personally like to see both Bendis and Millar keep away from the Ultimate universe for a while. First of all, I feel like there's been too much intermingling between titles, causing a lot of continuity contamination. Second, over the course of the last year or so, we've seen clones in Spidey, time travel in X-Men, and all of the above plus alternate realities and virtual omnipotence-granting devices in Fantastic Four. It feels like, in general, all the Ultimate titles are breaking with their original purpose, and suddenly it's 616 circa-1994 all over again.

Seriously. And the worst part? It seems like the whole world outside of UC loves all of this new craziness in the UU.

Seriously. And the worst part? It seems like the whole world outside of UC loves all of this new craziness in the UU.

Only because for most UU fans, this is there first time experiencing the zaniness. Basically the UU is 616 but accelerated, if it keeps at this rate, we should have Ultimate HoM and Ultimate Civil War by...ohhh...summer of 09.

IT'S A MADHOUSE!

A MAAAADHOUSE!

I also like the ridiculous change in tone between the books. UFF is bizarrely optimistic, USM has total insane crap that would logically drive people insane happen but it stays upbeat because everything is forgotten between trade paperbacks, but in UXM and Ultimates everyone's a dick and the government just has complete, fascist control over everything.

IT'S A MADHOUSE!

A MAAAADHOUSE!

I also like the ridiculous change in tone between the books. UFF is bizarrely optimistic, USM has total insane crap that would logically drive people insane happen but it stays upbeat because everything is forgotten between trade paperbacks, but in UXM and Ultimates everyone's a dick and the government just has complete, fascist control over everything.

Don't forget, in UV, Vision is a girl.

I can't believe this. I used to say that 616 needed a reboot. I was right. Initially, the UU was a fresh breath of air. Now their reboot needs to be rebooted. Why don't they understand that crazy-clone-time-travel-alternate dimension-crap is what ruins comicbooks? Everyone wants to write an Alan Moore deep narative...but they all fail miserably.

And Ultimate Mary Jane really needs to go. I'm so sick of her!

They should get rid of Ultimate Peter Parker too, and give Aunt May the Oz formula.

I also love this nonsense now: If they can clone Peter and CURE the Oz formula... can't they give everyone spider-powers? Not only that, but Fury doesn't need Spider-Slayers or anything anymore. He's got a cure to Spidey's powers.

And now, Spidey can never, EVER, have the "I hate being Spidey" monologue (which is apparently every third panel of this series) because now he can quit. He was a whiner and a loser before, now he'll be a hypocritcal whiner and loser.

And also - what the **** is going on with Nick Fury? He can't involve himself in Spidey's life - unless it's to arrest him. If Spidey is THAT important... why the hell isn't he looking after him? He has no reason to give Spidey surveillance legally - unless Spidey requests it. So why doesn't he, if he thinks Spidey will be the world's most badass supervillain EVER, why doesn't he seek to prevent that? I find it INCONCEIVABLE (I think that word means what you think it means) that Nick Fury, the HEAD OF SHIELD, is incapable of helping Spidey through rough patches than just locking him up. If he is, he should be fired and someone who didn't trade his brain for an eye patch can take over SHIELD.

I give up.

Last edited:
They should get rid of Ultimate Peter Parker too, and give Aunt May the Oz formula.

I also love this nonsense now: If they can clone Peter and CURE the Oz formula... can't they give everyone spider-powers? Not only that, but Fury doesn't need Spider-Slayers or anything anymore. He's got a cure to Spidey's powers.

And now, Spidey can never, EVER, have the "I hate being Spidey" monologue (which is apparently every third panel of this series) because now he can quit. He was a whiner and a loser before, now he'll be a hypocritcal whiner and loser.

And also - what the **** is going on with Nick Fury? He can't involve himself in Spidey's life - unless it's to arrest him. If Spidey is THAT important... why the hell isn't he looking after him? He has no reason to give Spidey surveillance legally - unless Spidey requests it. So why doesn't he, if he thinks Spidey will be the world's most badass supervillain EVER, why doesn't he seek to prevent that? I find it INCONCEIVABLE (I think that word means what you think it means) that Nick Fury, the HEAD OF SHIELD, is incapable of helping Spidey through rough patches than just locking him up. If he is, he should be fired and someone who didn't trade his brain for an eye patch can take over SHIELD.

I give up.
*applauds*

I give up.

I didn't know you read USM! That blows my mind! :lol:

To answer the question, I'm. . .unsure. Ultimate Knights is a continuation of the Kingpin arc which has never really faltered, even in Warriors. Of course, adding things like Doctor Strange and Ronin to it just sounds. . .dumb. Also, Death of a Goblin sounds like we'll see the return of Norman Osborn, another high point of the series. It sounds like Bendis is wrapping up all current plot lines: Doc Ock and the genetic storyline, Kingpin and Osborn. So far, he completely ruined the climax with Doc Ock , but will he do it again, specifically when those two are what many consider the high points of USM?

And what does he have planned for after Death of a Goblin? It's completely unknown territory. So. . .I don't know. I guess we'll see. :?

Latest posts

Back