Do you have faith in Bendis for the future of USM? (Spoilers!)

Do you have faith in Bendis' future for Ultimate Spider-Man

• Total voters
IMO: The clone saga as a whole wasn't terrible as some of you make it out to be, I'd give the arc a 3/5. There were things I liked and things I didn't.

Bagley's art is clearly going downhill. I'm a huge fan of his work but there is no way around it. Laziness or bordom is no excuse for half-assing his job.

I still enjoy this book, just not as much as I used to.

I still have faith.

IMO: The clone saga as a whole wasn't terrible as some of you make it out to be, I'd give the arc a 3/5. There were things I liked and things I didn't.

Bagley's art is clearly going downhill. I'm a huge fan of his work but there is no way around it. Laziness or bordom is no excuse for half-assing his job.

I still enjoy this book, just not as much as I used to.

I still have faith.
I've honestly not read much of USM post-Venom. Just bits and pieces, and I agree that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

The problem is really that as 'passable' Bendis is, he always falls back to the same old tricks and excuses and cheap shots. Which isn't so bad --- every writer has these things --- but when you look at it on a larger scale, his work doesn't really hold up to that kind of scrutiny.

Me too Ourchair. I've read a lot of USM, but I look back and think, it stopped being good in #26. I think #25 was the last good issue. But that's me.

DGspider-fan, if you're enjoying the title, then I suppose that is what matters. But I think there a other titles out there you'd probably enjoy a lot more. But I might be wrong.

BUT I AM NEVER WRONG. YOU WILL DO AS I COMMAND.

I'm sorry... that slipped out. :shifty:

^________^

Karen Page will never die. I liked it. It's better then, "I met someone knew and I'm so in love that I completely forget the woman I was originally supposed to be with."

The fact that it was a "nervous breakdown" and was a subtle kind that didn't involve heavy sweating and completely irrational actions made it good to me.

Oh, I agree. I loved it when Ben tells DD, "I think you're having a nervous breakdown." What I hated was Bendis then had DD go, "You're right." And then magic away all his problems. That's not an ending, and it betrays the beginning of the story that treated such mental difficulties honestly - that they're subtle, powerful, and self-destructive. The Hollywood lie is that they're exciting, bombastic, illuminating, and easily resolved. Bendis started out proper and then gave in to the lie, I feel.

As for the DD side discussion...I actually think that Brubaker is doing a good job tieing up Bendis' loose ends.

As for USM; I liked most of the arcs up to Cats and Kings...and I liked the Ultimate six crossover. Warriors was ok, too. As much as I like the Kitty/Peter dynamic, most other arcs aren't even worth reading.

Which is in my mind, without a doubt, the best USP arc...

Yes, excepted I liked the Venom arc better but thats just my personal favorite. Learning curve had everything USM should have. It was a good formula, Peter goes out as Spidey gets in over his head, but later overcomes the obstacles along with actual interaction with his social and school life. Really when was the last time Spider-man has resovled an arc on his own and we had a story that focused on his school life? What happened to Kong and Liz Allen?

Bendis had some good plotlines he could of brought up for the 100th issue. Like Peter not going to school eventually the school would of told May and that would of had a great confrontation scene, but now that May knows that whole plot is ruined. They could of done something with Harry and what exactly Normans plans were and about that invisible guy, but now that Reed has conviently made a cure that should (as it stands right now) be done with. Bendis just really screwed up huge with this. He has turned my favorite title to something I just hate. I'm gonna reread the early stuff and cry.

Also I liked Bagely but his art has been getting worst but I don't blame him, being on project for over 100 issues that he didnt want to do in the first place.

I'm gonna reread the early stuff and cry.

Really? Because I'm going to read my Bone one volume edition, my Y: The Last Man trades, Usagi Yojimbo trades and various other good comics while thanking all that's holy that I've learned to stop caring whether this book is good or bad.

Actually, I'm going to surf the site for a while longer, then go to bed.

i did until i saw the solicits for 'Ultimate Ronin'?!?! why would he do that? how can you justify ultimizing a character thats only been around 3 years tops in 616 when there are hundreds of characters older?

i did until i saw the solicits for 'Ultimate Ronin'?!?! why would he do that? how can you justify ultimizing a character thats only been around 3 years tops in 616 when there are hundreds of characters older?

Because he's out of ideas. :wink:

Maybe it's just me, but I think Bendis and Bagley going for the record was a big mistake.

I think Bendis focused too much on getting to issue #103 then telling and tieing up his storylines well. I'm not saying that the record was Bendis' only problem, but I think to get there he did too many filler arcs, and then Clone Saga turned out bad because he was celebrating... With drugs :shock: :lol:

Will it get better? I hope so. I hope I'm right and now that he's achieved the title Bendis can go out with stories that were as good as he came in with, but Bendis definitely doesn't need to stay in forever, and USM should get a new writer soon.

So, I'm voting option 2 for MJGoblin, Gwenage and Doc Magnetopus' sakes, but I really do hope option 1 is true.

But, I will say I have hope that Ultimate Knights will turn out good. Right now it could go either way, but I do know Bendis can make a good story, I just don't know if he will.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back