Do you have faith in Bendis for the future of USM? (Spoilers!)

Do you have faith in Bendis' future for Ultimate Spider-Man

• Total voters
Here's a quote I was able to find from the upcoming Death of a Goblin arc:

"It was never the Oz formula, it was me!"

Take that as you will.

Even though Liar Liar was a little sappy for my tastes, the elevator scene where he says, "It was MEEEEEEEEEEE!" is hilarious.

Yes, you are correct on both counts. That was the beginning of the end for Jim Carrey in comedies, but there were one or two (probably closer to one) scenes that were very funny.

Even though Liar Liar was a little sappy for my tastes, the elevator scene where he says, "It was MEEEEEEEEEEE!" is hilarious.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Liar, Liar was awesome.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Liar, Liar was awesome.
I concur.

Liar, Liar is one of those films I'm glad to have seen for free on cable. :p

And to be fair, the Doc Ock reveal is only 'consistent' with the way Ultimate titles are written, for better or worse (usually worse), in that the villains are usually revealed as jerks responsible for their own jerkdom and that any accountability lies with them, not with goblin serums, tentacle arms or cancer suits.

I didn't know you read USM! That blows my mind! :lol:

All things I do blow the minds of all.

That's a palindrome! :D

Actually... it isn't. :?

To answer the question, I'm. . .unsure. Ultimate Knights is a continuation of the Kingpin arc which has never really faltered, even in Warriors.

Did you not read the second Spidey annual?

I read it only because Mark drew it, but I thought, other that I thought it sucked hard.

Let me some up for you what the annual was:

Captain DeWolfe is the only friend of Spider-Man's in a public authority. The media hates him, the police treat him like a criminal, and even Gwen hates poor Spidey. And here's DeWolfe, his only friend with any influence at all. And she helps him out. She tells him where the bad guys are and the two are having a kind of professional relationship.

However, unknown to Spidey, DeWolfe is actually one of the Kingpin's closest allies, and she's sending Spidey to beat up Kingpin's enemies. She's turned Spidey into an unwilling hitman for Kingpin.

Spidey has no clue.

This, all props to Bendis, is a superb set-up. This is a great beginnings of an arc.

What happens next?

The Punisher escapes prison, and after a big fight, is arrested. Then, just as they slap cuffs on him, he shoots DeWolfe in front of Spidey. Spidey goes ballistic, then Punisher and Daredevil say, "DeWolfe's dirty. She works for the Kingpin."

"Didn't you know?"

****ing weak.

Seriously... DeWolfe is killed and then everyone goes, "Don't worry, she's a bad guy."

Look, even if you have Punisher kill her (which is stupid), why not have it so he doesn't have time to tell Spidey WHY he killed her. Then Spidey can try to work it out.

Basically, the DeWolfe story was leading to a point where Spidey would somehow discover that DeWolfe is a bad guy (Spidey should actually have to do SOMETHING rather than have the plot repeatedly handed to him each issue - it IS HIS TITLE after all), and then the confrontation. What does Spidey do with the only cop he's ever truly trusted when he finds out she's a stooge for the Kingpin?

Does he get enough evidence to incriminate her, then tells her if she leaves, he won't destroy her career? Does he gives her an out? And then what happens when DeWolfe points out that no one will believe him, and those with the power to chastise her are working for the Kingpin? What does he do then? Does he leave? Now he's no use to DeWolfe does she use the entire police force's resources to discover his secret identity, giving Kingpin access (since he's seen Spidey's face)? Do they begin hunting down Spidey? How can Spidey face off both the Kingpin AND the police? How the hell does he get out of this mess?

That to me, is where the story should've gone.

Instead we got DeWolfe dying from a random superhero who escaped prison for just the one issue and then everyone telling Spidey, "Oh yeah, she was a bad guy. Don't worry about it though."

I'd say it faltered.

But you know what? The masses loved it. You know why? It's another crossover. People love seeing heroes in other heroes' books. They don't even realize that it's just what Bendis does when he runs out of ideas (*cough* deadpool)

While what you say is true,I think the masses would've loved a proper resolution to the DeWolfe story more.

I'd say it faltered.

I forgot about the second annual. But, even though I'll agree it was the weakest part of the Kingpin storyline, it wasn't that bad. Yeah, I would have liked Peter to have confronted her, and I think Ultimate Punisher is lame as hell, but it did teach Peter a lesson: Don't trust anyone.

Unfortunetly, Ultimate Knights seems to be taking a similar path. . .

If I was Peter, here's the lesson I would've learned: Trust whoever you want, because if you ever get into deep ****, some nutjob with a gun will bail you out. :?

Let me some up for you what the annual was:

Captain DeWolfe is the only friend of Spider-Man's in a public authority. The media hates him, the police treat him like a criminal, and even Gwen hates poor Spidey. And here's DeWolfe, his only friend with any influence at all. And she helps him out. She tells him where the bad guys are and the two are having a kind of professional relationship.

However, unknown to Spidey, DeWolfe is actually one of the Kingpin's closest allies, and she's sending Spidey to beat up Kingpin's enemies. She's turned Spidey into an unwilling hitman for Kingpin.

Spidey has no clue.

This, all props to Bendis, is a superb set-up. This is a great beginnings of an arc.

What happens next?

The Punisher escapes prison, and after a big fight, is arrested. Then, just as they slap cuffs on him, he shoots DeWolfe in front of Spidey. Spidey goes ballistic, then Punisher and Daredevil say, "DeWolfe's dirty. She works for the Kingpin."

"Didn't you know?"

****ing weak.

Seriously... DeWolfe is killed and then everyone goes, "Don't worry, she's a bad guy."

Look, even if you have Punisher kill her (which is stupid), why not have it so he doesn't have time to tell Spidey WHY he killed her. Then Spidey can try to work it out.

Basically, the DeWolfe story was leading to a point where Spidey would somehow discover that DeWolfe is a bad guy (Spidey should actually have to do SOMETHING rather than have the plot repeatedly handed to him each issue - it IS HIS TITLE after all), and then the confrontation. What does Spidey do with the only cop he's ever truly trusted when he finds out she's a stooge for the Kingpin?

Does he get enough evidence to incriminate her, then tells her if she leaves, he won't destroy her career? Does he gives her an out? And then what happens when DeWolfe points out that no one will believe him, and those with the power to chastise her are working for the Kingpin? What does he do then? Does he leave? Now he's no use to DeWolfe does she use the entire police force's resources to discover his secret identity, giving Kingpin access (since he's seen Spidey's face)? Do they begin hunting down Spidey? How can Spidey face off both the Kingpin AND the police? How the hell does he get out of this mess?

That to me, is where the story should've gone.

Instead we got DeWolfe dying from a random superhero who escaped prison for just the one issue and then everyone telling Spidey, "Oh yeah, she was a bad guy. Don't worry about it though."

I'd say it faltered.
Let's face it, the only time Ultimate Spidey EVER used his brain to resolve anything was in Learning Curve.

Bendis must live in some bizarre world in which people using their brains in a story is a 'gimmick'. This is perhaps why he has decided to not let that EVER happen again in USM. Because 'good' writers don't re-use gimmicks, duh.

Sadly, this is also how he wrote Daredevil.

Are you honestly comparing Bendis on DD to Bendis on USM?
Yes.

I did however, REALLY like his Daredevil run. Regardless, some of the tics he's developed on other books did seep into that run, sometimes to good effect and sometimes to bad effect.

To keep it simple, Matt Murdock's ability to solve his own problems was never something Bendis seemed interested in developing in any context that wasn't wholly subservient to the plot at large. The same goes for Ultimate Peter, and even his detectives in Powers.

As I've said before, I loved Bendis' DD run until #60 or so when he magicked the plot away with a nervous breakdown.

As I've said before, I loved Bendis' DD run until #60 or so when he magicked the plot away with a nervous breakdown.

Karen Page will never die. I liked it. It's better then, "I met someone knew and I'm so in love that I completely forget the woman I was originally supposed to be with."

The fact that it was a "nervous breakdown" and was a subtle kind that didn't involve heavy sweating and completely irrational actions made it good to me.

The fact that it was a "nervous breakdown" and was a subtle kind that didn't involve heavy sweating and completely irrational actions made it good to me.
Nervous breakdowns are usually subtle in the first place. They only pretend they are sweaty hyper-active affairs in the movies.

Seriously. Bendis should have only been expected to do no less. Which he did. Then he magicked it away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back